Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default How to set up individual ringtons

Tried to set up individual ringtones but the on line tutorials do not work. I go to contacts and hit menu button - lower left button - and there is suppose to be a tab for options - that is not there. Where am I going wrong.

Love the Captivate though. Just got it today

On a secondary problem - have not been able to get my PC to recognize the phone via USB. I have set the phone setting to mass storage

Global Posts
    385 Global Posts

The only way i have been able to accomplish this was to create a phone contact and link your contact to that contact.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Reggie View Post

On a secondary problem - have not been able to get my PC to recognize the phone via USB. I have set the phone setting to mass storage
    Did you download the driver form samsung - my XP box saw nothing until i did that.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Quote Originally Posted by alphadog View Post
    Did you download the driver form samsung - my XP box saw nothing until i did that.
    I finally found the driver and it works great

Make sure you have all your contacts saved to the phone and not the sim to assign ringtones

Also, for mass storage mode, when you connect to the PC you have to go to the notification bar and allow the computer to see/manipulate files.

Global Posts
    171 Global Posts

Speaking of saving all of your contacts to the phone, is there a way to do that as a group and not individually.

(I'll admit that I usually play around and try several options before I ask the question, but I haven't spent a lot of time on this one. I just saved the few contacts that I wanted to have individual ringtones and quit there)

Pretty sure you go to contacts, menu, more, Sim Management
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by Albitron View Post
    Pretty sure you go to contacts, menu, more, Sim Management
    Nope - it is not a option available
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by Albitron View Post
    Make sure you have all your contacts saved to the phone and not the sim to assign ringtones
    How does one verify that/ I turned off the display of sim contacts. But did not see a way to verify where contacts get saved. Because I still see them I assume they are on phone.

Default have you tried ringdroid?

Tried to set up individual ringtones but the on line tutorials do not work. I go to contacts and hit menu button - lower left button - and there is suppose to be a tab for options - that is not there. Where am I going wrong.
    I managed to do this using ringdroid (an open-source ringtone editor).

Between at&t and samsung, there are some things on this phone that are annoying, but I'm happy with it.

Anyway I digress, if you open an mp3/wav/aac/amr file with ringdroid, it will let you select the section to use as a ringtone. Then save it, and it will let you attach it to a contact, including contacts that are only on google, and not on your phone or sim.

The only problem with this method, is that it only lets me set the ringtone after I've saved it. This would be a problem if I wanted the same ringtone on several people's contact.

Still, it works for now
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle_S View Post
    I managed to do this using ringdroid (an open-source ringtone editor).

Between at&t and samsung, there are some things on this phone that are annoying, but I'm happy with it.

Anyway I digress, if you open an mp3/wav/aac/amr file with ringdroid, it will let you select the section to use as a ringtone. Then save it, and it will let you attach it to a contact, including contacts that are only on google, and not on your phone or sim.

The only problem with this method, is that it only lets me set the ringtone after I've saved it. This would be a problem if I wanted the same ringtone on several people's contact.

Still, it works for now
    Well I tried it and yes it allowed me to assign the ringtones to different people but the calls still only had the default single ringtone. Grrr

Most of my contacts are from my google account. How do I set ringtones for those contacts?

Global Posts
    385 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blumelody View Post
    Most of my contacts are from my google account. How do I set ringtones for those contacts?
    Create a local contact on phone and link the 2 accounts together
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Quote Originally Posted by bkeaver View Post
    Create a local contact on phone and link the 2 accounts together
    So you mean you need to create two contacts for the same person?

So you mean you need to create two contacts for the same person?
    Sort of... it links the two contacts together as one single contact, combining the info from each one. You only see one name on the contact list. It was confusing to me at first, too, but it works well.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Quote Originally Posted by Lyanheart View Post
    Sort of... it links the two contacts together as one single contact, combining the info from each one. You only see one name on the contact list. It was confusing to me at first, too, but it works well.
    Thanks - tried it and it it works

i think i'm gonna try ringdroid. i dont like having two contacts as it can get confusing.

What I did was use the free AT&T Address Book feature. I exported my contacts from Outlook to a csv file. I then imported them into the AT&T Address Book. When you sync from the AT&T Address Book it creates the contacts directly on the phone. All of this was at no cost to me.

I then linked them all to my Facebook and when I sync with my hosted Exchange account they all auto linked. I can now assign a personal ringtone to any contact.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

Quote Originally Posted by cobra302 View Post
    i think i'm gonna try ringdroid. i dont like having two contacts as it can get confusing.
    Ringdroid will not set up a ringtone for individual contacts. It will make it seem like you have set up a customer ringtone for the contact but it does not work - the default tone is what is played when you get a call. You do not get two contacts only one in your lists.

Are You sure? I just made another ringtone and it gave me the option to assign it to a contact again.

Try Ringo Lite. I read in another thread that it works for gmail contacts as well.

Global Posts
    92 Global Posts

I found you can create the phone contact with ringtone, link to the google contact, and then unlink the two and remove the phone contact. Seems to also work for those that don't want that extra linked contact. And to make this weirder, I've found that assigning ringtones to contacts (either via Ringdroid, or linking, etc) didn't seem to work for me until after the phone was restarted.

Did I miss reading how you can get all your google-based contacts set to phone contacts? Personally I only want custom rings for a few folks so the above method I've done works good enough for me (and creating short ringtones from .mp3 files via ringdroid is PERFECT IMO).

Love the Captivate though. Just got it today

When you connect the usb, there is an icon on the top notification bar. Touch and pull it down to open the notification menu, select the usb option (i forgot what it says exactly) and pick "mount"....
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

Quote Originally Posted by cobra302 View Post
    Are You sure? I just made another ringtone and it gave me the option to assign it to a contact again.
    It allowed me to do that but it did not give me the ringtone. Now I created a new contact for all those names which works so I really can't tell which one is working.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast