Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Just to clarify, I used up 98% of the battery, as in only 2% left and about to die...

(Apparently I forgot to save may edit on the last post.)

I wonder how accurate the percentages are in that settings menu. It seams like 8hrs of playing mp3s would use more than 11% (Media server + Double Twist). I did do some "multitasking" during that time, like syncing, checking notifications that came in, downloading a couple apps, general dinking around, and that 9min phone call... but at the end of those 8hrs the phone was down to 25% and the vast majority seemed like it would have been the music -- with the screen off.
    Samsung Captivate (Stock)

Global Posts
    1,727 Global Posts

I found that the e-mail app was checking for mail every 30 minutes but I wasn't even using it, using gmail app instead. I bought System Panel and Tasker and I'm deleting anything that I'm not really planning to use going forward, as it seems many things can get into memory and start draining the battery. This does seem like a lot of energy on my part though for a 'smart phone' :P

I got my phone yesterday and have wondered about the battery problem. Yesterday it lasted an hour then I gave it a full charge. my problem is that the phone gets so hot you could not hold it and put it near your ear on a call. After a full charge it lasted 2 hours the first time and about 3 hours the second. Wifi, Blue-tooth and talking wears it down in about 15 minutes.
    So I charged it over night and tried it today. Same thing using the phone it drained in about 2 hours. I have the screen down to the lowest setting. I do not have location finding on either GPS or Wireless. No sync and I used Advanced Task killer making sure I read the article here for proper usage of the app. I recharged it and at 11am went to ATT which is 15 minutes from my house. By the time I got there after one call it was at 45% and hot has you know what.
    They gave me a new battery and said it could be the phone, but try this first. So I got home and used it till the battery went dead,about 3 hours with heavy usage. It still became hot but not like with the old battery. Then I put Wifi on and started browsing 100% to 60% in about an hour. Got a call and used Blue-tooth first turned off Wifi and it started getting very hot again. Still it lasted till I put Wifi on again and registered on this site and it went to the yellow marker.
    I started to reply on the phone for this thread and I decided to just charge it again and reply on my regular computer. So do I bring the phone back for another or give it a day or two to see if it gets better. How hot do your phones get?
    I really do use it allot for e-mail and Internet. I hardly use any apps and I came from a Bold after getting tired of them breaking and having to replace it 4 times along with a Pearl 3 times. Plus you cant beat the Browser and how everything works on the Droid.
    On top of that I hear RIM is getting a new OS system and I did see a demo phone today. Still the screen is no where near has big and I am not sure how much of the boarder with the Icons will disappear. I don't want to get into a RIM discussion on this tread so I will stop here.

While on standby and in Flight mode, my phone went from 97% to 58% while sitting on my desk at work for 9 hours today. I called the store where I bought it today to see if they have any in stock - they have 4 coming in tomorrow and offered to put my name on one of them. They'll be disappointed when I show up to exchange an phone instead of buying a new one. My GPS is still not good (despite all the suggested resettings), and the battery is hopeless.

Quote Originally Posted by NeilQ View Post
    While on standby and in Flight mode, my phone went from 97% to 58% while sitting on my desk at work for 9 hours today. I called the store where I bought it today to see if they have any in stock - they have 4 coming in tomorrow and offered to put my name on one of them. They'll be disappointed when I show up to exchange an phone instead of buying a new one. My GPS is still not good (despite all the suggested resettings), and the battery is hopeless.
    Gee, that's horrible

raven71, my phone gets pretty warm when charging, especially when its really low, but I wouldn't call it "hot". During regular usage I haven't noticed it getting very warm.
    Samsung Captivate (Stock)

Quote Originally Posted by NeilQ View Post
    Interesting... because for 8 hours overnight, in standby with 3G on, my phone only lost 5%... and during that period I got like 10 emails, Titanium Backup did it's scheduled run, and my alarm woke me up this morning.
    Joey
    Samsung Captivate
    All FroYo'd and stuff...

Coming from iPhone (JB 3G) I am used to having pretty good battery life. From what I can tell the captivate's battery lasts almost as long as my old iPhone. I can usually get through the entire day with my captivate with 15-20% battery left. I usually plug my phone in around 11 pm, and unplug it in the morning around 7.

I am not a super ultra mega power user, but I do browse the web a lot on my phone (over 3G), use my phone as my mp3 player, make/receive a few calls, and send a few emails every day.

anyhoo that's my experience with the phone. I love the captivate and the android platform! No way I'll be going back to an iPhone now!

Good news I charged it before I went to sleep and took it off the charger. Woke up to the alarm, and it was still full. Used it today and it stayed at about 65%. Now I am at about 50% till I stated with wifi, and came to the site. I am using the swype key board and down to 35% in about 15 minutes.
    Still the phone has not got hot like yesterday. I am really loving this phone.

My god battery life is terrible so far.
    Have had my phone about a weeks and not impressed with battery life at all.
    Light use, just using the Music Player I get about 10-12 hours on a charge. Hopefully it is true that with a couple weeks the battery will be "broken in" and give me some better life!

Default Re: Battery Life

my battery life is awesome and it makes me wonder if alot of people got defective batteries with their x. im sure all the people griping about battery life arent lieing. but mine is awesome i mess with this thing all day text email web browse download talk and it last me all day. my batter setting now is set to battery save im running atk with aggresive settings kills everytime i lock the screen. screen brightness set way down not bad unless your in direct sunlight and i connect to wifi when i can. Honestly battery is not an issue at all.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    Droid 3!!!!! Insert Evil Laugh

Quote Originally Posted by kroman1107 View Post
    my battery life is awesome and it makes me wonder if alot of people got defective batteries with their x. im sure all the people griping about battery life arent lieing. but mine is awesome i mess with this thing all day text email web browse download talk and it last me all day. my batter setting now is set to battery save im running atk with aggresive settings kills everytime i lock the screen. screen brightness set way down not bad unless your in direct sunlight and i connect to wifi when i can. Honestly battery is not an issue at all.

That's great and all for you and your DroidX... but this is the Captivate forum.

As for me and my phone, the battery is doing well with normal use.
    I don't have to even think about plugging it in during the day unless I use it more heavily than normal.
    Joey
    Samsung Captivate
    All FroYo'd and stuff...

[QUOTE=Joeybear23;279062]That's great and all for you and your DroidX... but this is the Captivate forum.QUOTE]

HAHA..Nice

Default Re: Battery Life

awwww owned sorry wrong post. on a good note i still win cause i have an x instead of the captivate!

Droid 3!!!!! Insert Evil Laugh

Troll much?

awwww owned sorry wrong post. on a good note i still win cause i have an x instead of the captivate!

LOL...

good luck with that.
    Joey
    Samsung Captivate
    All FroYo'd and stuff...

has anyone used the battery left widget?
    i'm calibrating it now

anyone know if it is a drain on battery?

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyshinta View Post
    has anyone used the battery left widget?
    i'm calibrating it now

anyone know if it is a drain on battery?
    I used battery left for about a week. I did not notice any major battery drain. I did, however, switch to Mini info widget because it seemed to be a little more accurate. While using battery left it was around 5% off all the time. Also It never finished calibrating. I think you have to run the battery all the way to zero for it to fully calibrate (something I never do) so I just switched.

The mini info widget appears to grab the battery info directly from the phone settings menu.

Actually automatic loss because its Motorola. LOL!
    HTC Evo Baked 1.7
    Samsung Epic 4G Stock
    Dell Streak 16GB 2.1

I use BatteryTime Lite and it seems to be very accurate - much more so than the default battery icon which shows that I have a full battery even when BatteryTime tells me I'm at 70% (which would be more realistic based on actual usage). It doesn't seem to drain the battery at all. BatteryTime has several widget interfaces, but I just use the notification tray icon which is very easy to see and clearly identifies the battery percentage. The only thing it's not great at is predicting idle time - I have 22% battery left now and BatteryTime says that I still have 154 hours of idle time. I would give my left eye if the battery lasted that long, but there's no way that's correct (unless that's 154 hours of idle time in airplane mode, but it still wouldn't really last that long).
    --
    Dean
    AT&T Samsung Galaxy S Captivate | Rooted with Unleash the Beast | 3 year iPhone user, still eagerly learning all there is to know about Android

Global Posts
    171 Global Posts

Now that I've finally figured out how to force the phone to the Edge network my battery life should be going up by quite a bit.

How did you get your phone to switch to EDGE manually? That option seems to be missing from my Captivate.
    --
    Dean
    AT&T Samsung Galaxy S Captivate | Rooted with Unleash the Beast | 3 year iPhone user, still eagerly learning all there is to know about Android

Global Posts
    171 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by deanhatescoffee View Post
    How did you get your phone to switch to EDGE manually? That option seems to be missing from my Captivate.
    I finally found the following solution. All of the other solutions just turn off 3G data, but this actually forces it to the Edge network and you can still get texts and data.

This was important to me because I live in a fringe area where it's constantly switching back and forth from 3G and burns battery. Also, I've found the Edge network to be much better for making calls and receiving and sending basic texts and emails.

Enter the Phone app.
    Dial *#*#197328640#*#*
    Select [1] DEBUG SCREEN
    Select [8] PHONE CONTROL
    Select [4] UE STATE CONTROL

If you want 2G, select:
    [3] CHANGE RAT TO GSM

If you want 3G, select:
    [2] CHANGE RAT TO WCDMA

It's time consuming and it defaults back to 3G when you turn the phone off, but it's worth it to me.

Now if someone would only make a widget that would do this with a single push...

I couldn't get a full day use 1st week even with Advc App Killer turning off apps & widgets. Also turned off Wifi & BT. Thought of returning it to AT&T for iPhone4. Battery life got better affer about 3 weeks. Afted update I get a full day use with BT, Wifi, 4 widgets running, & using Maps to navigate home on a 40 minuts commute. Glad I kepf it-LOVE MY CAPTIVATE.
    Just need 2.2 now.

Thumbs up Turning off sync

The best thing that has helped my battery life has been turning off the Google Sync during the day. I don't need it on constantly checking for changes in data all day when I'm at work.

I used to get home with the battery around 40% and now it is usually around 70%. It has been a HUGE gain for me.
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast