How's your Battery Life?

smurph#AC

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
My battery died at about 4pm. I noticed the battery use screen shows about 12 hours off battery at 4pm. My phone was on charger until 6am.

Did I start my day will less than a full battery?

I know when the battery gets full the screen says to disconnect it. Did it quit charging when the battery was full?

I used my phone very little today

I need to get quite a bit more time from this device!

Also, Samsung must be taking math hints from apple! The battery indicator on the status bar does not represent the percent indicated on the status screen.

smurph

alias3800

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I've been using the program "Battery Left" to report exactly what I have left, percentage and time-wise. I definitely recommend checking that program out to know how much life you're getting out of the device and how much is left, etc.

And yeah, smurph, the samsung battery indicator is pretty comical.. I can definitely attest to that.

My phone lasts about 6 hours with moderate-to-heavy usage (including little things like live wallpapers, brightness on max while outside, constant 3G connection - you get the drift). Fortunately, I'm coming from the Evo - so this battery seems to quite alright to me. Plus, I generally don't let it get too low because I charge it in the car and at home listening to rhapsody. There's just something about seeing the battery in the 30% range that bothers the hell out of me. Oh well..

know1

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
The battery life seems to be terrible.

This is my first Android phone and I really wanted to like it, but I'm starting to consider taking it back...not just due to the battery, but there just seem to be a lot of little issues that I shouldn't have to put up with.

gspeed

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Usually battery life sucks on the phone for the first few days, especially for brand new Android users. people are constantly watching youtube, configuring their devices, watching Avatar, playing games, and downloading apps. We tend to put our new phones through heavy use on the first few days we get the device.

Battery use tends to improve once we start putting our devices through more moderate use. You should be able to get a full days charge on it. I haven't had time to play with Captivate yet, but once I do I will report my findings on the battery issue.

D88ee

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
You too?? LOOOL! I thought it was just me... #1 pet peeve of mine. :D

me too!

My battery seems to run down pretty quickly as well, but I'm a brand new Android user, so I've been using the crap out of this phone in the few days I've had it. I kind of expect the battery to be low because of that.

As a newbie, what is this battery status screen you speak of? I would like to compare mine, especially if the icon is not truly reflective of what is there.

anneoneamouse

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
First day of use, all settings 'out of the box', +exchange push, +yahoo mail app. Google syncs all turned off.

All numbers taken from the standard samsung readouts under phone info.

9h 55 min after charging, battery at 7%
Display used 65%
Cell Standby 14%
Idle 10%, Sys 4%, Voice 3%

This was over an hour of running the display, I'd guess 1h 10min - the last note I made was 1h 3min.

Hope this helps,

AoN

JackImageX

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
My first day, the battery performance was bad. I figured I needed to give it a full charge.

My second day, the battery life was not the best - maybe 11 hours - that's it. I went in and turned off the screen brightness (it's not needed with the AMOLED screen). That was my only tweak for power.

My third day, the battery is doing well and we're into the 15th hour for today. I used it a little less but took one more phone call today than I did yesterday.

I think the battery needs a few charges to get to it's full capacity. I've read other threads on Androidforums and people seem to be saying the same thing.

Reactions: txdistancerider

pjs2004

Jul 11, 2010
Visit site
It really depends on what you do with it. The first couple days I used the phone, with just setting things up and using the display heavily, it easily lasted a day. Today I took it out to try google maps navigation and it drained the battery very fast. In ten minutes it went down like 15 percent. I stopped using that and after I got home, an hour later, it had only dropped 2 percent more.

thenameisgabe

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Download juicedefender, I unplug my phone at 8:30am and by midnight I still have about 30% battery.

Juice defender is reporting that I'm getting over 25% more battery due to the app, but who knows how accurate that is.

anneoneamouse

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
The first time you set up an email account / application is expensive in terms of battery- presumably fetching and then writing (possibly encrypting) the data to storage.

I'd suggest hanging in there for a few days before making any decisions.

Hope this helps,

AoN

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
Like others have said, give it a few days and make sure to run the battery dead each time and then charging it completely. It will get better - hopefully.

Lyanheart

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Something that I think people don't realize is just how much more they play with their phone when it's new, and that is an unfair test of how long the battery really lasts. I ran my battery dry in a matter of hours yesterday because I was constantly playing around, downloading apps, switching screens around, trying different widgets, running the GPS and Google Maps... give it a few days, a couple drain/recharge cycles, and then see how it does.

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
Something that I think people don't realize is just how much more they play with their phone when it's new, and that is an unfair test of how long the battery really lasts. I ran my battery dry in a matter of hours yesterday because I was constantly playing around, downloading apps, switching screens around, trying different widgets, running the GPS and Google Maps... give it a few days, a couple drain/recharge cycles, and then see how it does.

True but I saw some major battery drain today. I'm hoping it improves. I did notice it takes forever to charge though.

JackImageX

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
along the lines of battery life...

Do you see better battery life if you are doing data over WiFi rather than 3G?

With the iPhone, you would get significantly better battery life if you had WiFi connection all day than if you were using your 3G for your sync data. Now, mind you, the sync was much less (just mail) but still, I'm wondering what the impact will be?

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
along the lines of battery life...

Do you see better battery life if you are doing data over WiFi rather than 3G?

With the iPhone, you would get significantly better battery life if you had WiFi connection all day than if you were using your 3G for your sync data. Now, mind you, the sync was much less (just mail) but still, I'm wondering what the impact will be?

Wi-Fi will always use less battery over the network.

cobra302

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
True but I saw some major battery drain today. I'm hoping it improves. I did notice it takes forever to charge though.

battery life is starting to worry me a little. i unplugged 2 hours ago, one phone call maybe 2 minutes. checked my google feeds, around 175 of them. sent like 3 tweets, opened facebook then closed it, sent 1 email. oh, and i listened to 2 songs on the way to the office. i'm at 83 percent now! :eek:

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
battery life is starting to worry me a little. i unplugged 2 hours ago, one phone call maybe 2 minutes. checked my google feeds, around 175 of them. sent like 3 tweets, opened facebook then closed it, sent 1 email. oh, and i listened to 2 songs on the way to the office. i'm at 83 percent now! :eek:

It seems like I'm burning through 10% every hour with light usage. I'm just going to run in dry a few more times and hope it improves.

Joeybear23

May 13, 2010
Visit site
67% now after 5:30 hours of moderate usage (setup mobile banking, a few phone calls, about 15 emails and used GPS and google maps for 10 minutes or so)

Much better than yesterday... but still worried about how much the display uses. I have it set to auto-brightness, but don't have wifi in the office.

I ran it dead on purpose yesterday, then recharged to 100% (charging slows way down after 85%) and plan to do that again today.

Any suggestions?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Artistnos