How's your Battery Life?

l1ghtn1ng

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Is it me or does this phone take forever to charge? I plugged it in at 2 am last night with about 10% battery left it didn't say it was fully charged until 8:30 this morning!

Does the charging time ever get better? Maybe with more use?

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
Is it me or does this phone take forever to charge? I plugged it in at 2 am last night with about 10% battery left it didn't say it was fully charged until 8:30 this morning!

Does the charging time ever get better? Maybe with more use?

I noticed this on day one. Very slow to charge, and I doubt it will not get any faster.

bct

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Download Advanced task killer to kill or see the running processes. Then you can kill them if you want. I've went two straight days without a charge this week, but I only had a few calls, few emails, and also like above user said, click power button to immediately shut down screen.

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
Download Advanced task killer to kill or see the running processes. Then you can kill them if you want. I've went two straight days without a charge this week, but I only had a few calls, few emails, and also like above user said, click power button to immediately shut down screen.

Before anyone takes this advice please see this thread.

CaCHooKaMan

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
i didnt do much except text and use google talk over this period

screenshot9rd.png
screenshot10v.png

CaCHooKaMan

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
after completely draining the battery last night, my phone has done much better with battery life today. its been unplugged since 2 PM and now its 4 AM and im at 4% battery life. ive used it pretty extensively today so im impressed with how much it improved in the span of just a day.

psnyder

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
Mine has been getting a LOT better.

I have mine set to only use wireless towers for GPS, screen brightness the whole way down, no screen animations, 15 seconds shut off, WIFI doesn't turn on and off all everytime you close the screen it is always set to on, and for S&Gs I turned off the haptic feedback.

cyraxx

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
I have a quick question. When I get my Captivate, I assume the battery will probably be ~50%. Would it be better to charge to full and then do all my fun set-up, or just use it straight away and drain the battery fully. If I should charge it, can I do my setup while it's charging?

Dramer77

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
i dont get why everyone wants to turn the display all the way down, we have this big beautiful display that looks amazing , if u turn it down all the way i cant see it that well.. if you turn off the live wall papers and turn back your rate at which it checks for updates etc your will save alot more batt life.. i still have live wallpapers up, but all the push notifications are off.. i check when i open the app.. and i have screen brightness at like 3/4 maybe alittle higher.. and with mod to low usage i went about 32 hours since plugged in and was at about 12-14% left on the batt

Dramer77

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
I have a quick question. When I get my Captivate, I assume the battery will probably be ~50%. Would it be better to charge to full and then do all my fun set-up, or just use it straight away and drain the battery fully. If I should charge it, can I do my setup while it's charging?

drain it , then do a full charge

know1

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
i dont get why everyone wants to turn the display all the way down, we have this big beautiful display that looks amazing , if u turn it down all the way i cant see it that well.. if you turn off the live wall papers and turn back your rate at which it checks for updates etc your will save alot more batt life.. i still have live wallpapers up, but all the push notifications are off.. i check when i open the app.. and i have screen brightness at like 3/4 maybe alittle higher.. and with mod to low usage i went about 32 hours since plugged in and was at about 12-14% left on the batt

I don't turn it down just for battery usage. I turn it down because it hurts my eyes....especially in low light conditions.

Dramer77

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
really? how close are u holding it to your face? i havent really used it in alot of low light conditions yet so i guess i cant see where your coming from... it does seem alot brighter in darker situations

kris240376

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
drain it , then do a full charge

DO NOT fully discharge a lithium ion battery. A full discharge of a lithium ion battery can actually irreversibly damage the battery. A lot of lithium ion batteries actually contain circuitry that prevent a complete discharge from happening as it's harmful to the battery.

Lithium ion batteries aren't subject to the battery memory problems that the older nickel cadmium battery technology suffered from. The reduced charge capacity that you notice from lithium ion batteries aren't due to memory, but due to the chemical components of the battery slowly degrading due to discharge and no longer being able of holding a charge.

The ideal storage state of a lithium ion battery is 40-60% charge as it reduces the breakdown of the battery chemical components over time. Keeping the battery at 100% charge all the time actually speeds up the chemical breakdown process.

wildkarrde21

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
DO NOT fully discharge a lithium ion battery. A full discharge of a lithium ion battery can actually irreversibly damage the battery. A lot of lithium ion batteries actually contain circuitry that prevent a complete discharge from happening as it's harmful to the battery.

Lithium ion batteries aren't subject to the battery memory problems that the older nickel cadmium battery technology suffered from. The reduced charge capacity that you notice from lithium ion batteries aren't due to memory, but due to the chemical components of the battery slowly degrading due to discharge and no longer being able of holding a charge.

The ideal storage state of a lithium ion battery is 40-60% charge as it reduces the breakdown of the battery chemical components over time. Keeping the battery at 100% charge all the time actually speeds up the chemical breakdown process.

I know Li-Ions don't have memory, but I thought we were fully draining the battery to calibrate the meter (i.e. we want the phone to accurately figure out the capacity of the battery) so that we don't have the phone thinking it's fully charged when it's not, leading to poor battery life. At least, that's what I understood it to be. I've only done the full drain once (right after I got it) and I don't plan on doing it again, as it should be "calibrated."

I'm no battery expert, so maybe you can explain if I'm wrong.

alphadog

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Although Apple and other manufacturers recommend running a device until it will no longer turn on in then do a full charge. This is in order to calibrate the electronics - so the phone knows what zero is and what full is.

The phone will not really let the battery discharge 100% as it is monitoring the battery and will shut off at a certain point and then not turn on.

I occasionally run the phone down until it shuts off (on purpose) - I have batteries that are still in good shape after many years - so I am comfortable with this procedure and I am convinced it helps to calibrate the battery/phone. I don't think it has to be done when you first get the phone, and I only do it once every few months.

Apple has some good write ups on maximizing battery life on laptops and phones.

objectuser

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
So what battery widget do you all recommend?
I'm using Battery Widget. But after the news today, I'm wondering why it needs access to my location, phone calls and some of the system tools (wifi state, prevent phone from sleeping). Seems suspicious.