Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Access to URL has been blocked

I can't seem to figure out how to surf the internet while on 3G connection. Everytime I get the message "Access to this URL has been blocked". Is there some kind of setting that I'm missing? I've searched through the Wirless and Network Settings and there doesn't seem to have anything to turn on web browsing or something. Any suggestions?

Default Same issue here

I installed the Opera browser and it works.
    If I use the voice search on the browser, it will show my search results but as soon as I click on a link. I get the url blocked error.
    AT&T was no help. They want me to return the phone. I have already done a hard reset and am starting to think about forgetting the whole thing.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

There has to be something simple that we are just overlooking. There is no reason that a phone shouldn't be able to simply surf the web while on 3G. Anyone have anything?

Downloading Opera from the droid market is a work around for now. After you install it, you can do a voice search from the google toolbar on the home screen and select it as default.
    You can then surf using opera.

I've been able to access websites with the default browser. Opera should work because I believe the browser works like a proxy. It compresses the pages on an Opera server and sends them directly to you (at least that's what it did on the iPhone).

Look to see if you have somehow set a proxy server on the phone OR if you are on a WiFi link that has a proxy server of some type. That type of message is usually indicative of a proxy server blocking your access.
    Last edited by JackImageX; 07-20-2010 at 07:27 PM. Reason: adding in Proxy Server
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

JackImageX: Thanks for your help. I have checked all the settings I can find and no proxy or APN is even turned on or selected. This is really puzzling me. Should I go swap out the phone? Could it be something that I'm just overlooking?

Quote Originally Posted by gdbusby View Post
    Should I go swap out the phone? Could it be something that I'm just overlooking?
    It's worth having someone at the store look at it. It's possible you have a hardware issue. Better to find it out sooner rather than later.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Argh!! This is really getting to me. I just can't figure it out and I can't find anyone else talking about it. There has to be something I'm missing. Perhaps a full phone reset will do the trick. Guess it's a trip to the AT&T store this weekend if I can't fix it.

I have been browing the web all day on 3G.

Are you using wifi and it is being blocked by the router?
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

No, only works on wifi. Will not let anything connect via 3G. I have good 3G too. It just gives me the "Access to this URL has been blocked" when I'm in the browser or if I click a link from Twitter for Droid. Any ideas?

Well, you have me stumped... but then again I am new to android.

I had an issue with getting to the internet at first, but it turned out the guy at Wal Mart pushe dthe wrong button and dropped my smartphone account.
    Fortunately AT&T reinstated it, because I have the unlimited data plan, and you can't get those anymore.

Try this:

go to the browser, press the menu button, then "more".
    go to "settings" and scroll all the way to the bottom and select the "reset to default" option.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Ive tried that a few times. It is only the web browser. Very frustrating. Guess it's a trip to the at t store

My wife had the same issue on the Aria the other day and had to power down the phone and remove the sim and then put the sim back in and boot up... worked fine after that... Customer service rep said that if it happens again it very well could be a sim card issue. Did you happen to swap the sim out of a blackberry device previously?

Mine is going back today.
    My Boss is getting the same phone in today so that will be a good test as all things are equal.

Default Update

OK,
    My bosses phone came in . I moved my sim into it and am still having the same problem. I am going to replace the sim card and see if that helps (I support the phones for my company so I have blanks).

Sim card did not work. So We have ruled out:
    1. The phone
    2. Funky settings on the phone (with the new phone and the hard reset)
    3. The sim card
    4. Access to internet (opera works)

IM thinking there is an issue with my account or plan.
    Im getting back on the phone with there support. I will not let them avoid the issue by asking me to return the phone.

Proble solved,
    Not sure why it took so long for them to figure out.
    My company placed perntal controls on all of our phones. Once that was turned off, it works like a charm.

Quote Originally Posted by davidk74 View Post
    Proble solved,
    Not sure why it took so long for them to figure out.
    My company placed perntal controls on all of our phones. Once that was turned off, it works like a charm.
    Well, now all the kids know how to get past the parental controls....

Quote Originally Posted by Joeybear23 View Post
    Well, now all the kids know how to get past the parental controls....
    lol

IM testing the device out for possible deployment to our users. We had to turn on the filter to prevent users from buying media on the companies account. I guess I will work with AT&T and have them tweek the filter.
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

Davidk74: That turned out to be my same problem too. I havr never set the parental controls but they were turned on. Got new sim and turned off blocking. Works like a charm now. Back to loving this phone.

davidk74 - sounds like you have a different solution for a different problem, i have tried the same solutions and have deamed it to be an account issue as well, i have an employee at my store that i set up with the captivate and he is unable to access the net, however when i put my sim in his phone the web works just fine. there are no parental controlls on the account, as well as i have swapped his sim card out for a new one. he had a blackberry previously that worked no problems with the internet, but when we place that sim back in the captivate it gives the "this url has been blocked" error.

other web stuff has been working ok
    facebook
    app store
    weather
    installed skyfire and tried to access web that way but got same error as native browser.

Quote Originally Posted by gdbusby View Post
    Davidk74: That turned out to be my same problem too. I havr never set the parental controls but they were turned on. Got new sim and turned off blocking. Works like a charm now. Back to loving this phone.
    where did you setup the parental controlls at?

I had to trouble shoot this myself in the AT&T store as they were trying to tell me the network was down, I surfed to this blog. They still couldn't find anything but told me I had :

Content blocker and Purchase blocker set to ON for my sons account.
    Turned them off and it worked. So call their 1-800 number and get them to turn them off if you have a Captivate and URL blocked comes up for any 3G access.

Quote Originally Posted by rev. big country View Post
    davidk74 - sounds like you have a different solution for a different problem, i have tried the same solutions and have deamed it to be an account issue as well, i have an employee at my store that i set up with the captivate and he is unable to access the net, however when i put my sim in his phone the web works just fine. there are no parental controlls on the account, as well as i have swapped his sim card out for a new one. he had a blackberry previously that worked no problems with the internet, but when we place that sim back in the captivate it gives the "this url has been blocked" error.

other web stuff has been working ok
    facebook
    app store
    weather
    installed skyfire and tried to access web that way but got same error as native browser.
    I would call AT&T support. The guy at the store does not have the same account access as support.
    Joey
    Samsung Captivate
    All FroYo'd and stuff...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast