Access to URL has been blocked
I can't seem to figure out how to surf the internet while on 3G connection. Everytime I get the message "Access to this URL has been blocked". Is there some kind of setting that I'm missing? I've searched through the Wirless and Network Settings and there doesn't seem to have anything to turn on web browsing or something. Any suggestions?
- 07-20-2010, 05:08 PM #2
Same issue here
I installed the Opera browser and it works.
If I use the voice search on the browser, it will show my search results but as soon as I click on a link. I get the url blocked error.
AT&T was no help. They want me to return the phone. I have already done a hard reset and am starting to think about forgetting the whole thing.
- 07-20-2010, 06:21 PM #4
- 07-20-2010, 07:25 PM #5
- 101 Posts
I've been able to access websites with the default browser. Opera should work because I believe the browser works like a proxy. It compresses the pages on an Opera server and sends them directly to you (at least that's what it did on the iPhone).
Look to see if you have somehow set a proxy server on the phone OR if you are on a WiFi link that has a proxy server of some type. That type of message is usually indicative of a proxy server blocking your access.
Last edited by JackImageX; 07-20-2010 at 07:27 PM. Reason: adding in Proxy Server
- 07-20-2010, 08:13 PM #7
- 07-20-2010, 10:44 PM #9
- 07-21-2010, 06:52 AM #11
Well, you have me stumped... but then again I am new to android.
I had an issue with getting to the internet at first, but it turned out the guy at Wal Mart pushe dthe wrong button and dropped my smartphone account.
Fortunately AT&T reinstated it, because I have the unlimited data plan, and you can't get those anymore.
- 07-21-2010, 06:56 AM #12
- 07-21-2010, 08:49 AM #14
- 22 Posts
My wife had the same issue on the Aria the other day and had to power down the phone and remove the sim and then put the sim back in and boot up... worked fine after that... Customer service rep said that if it happens again it very well could be a sim card issue. Did you happen to swap the sim out of a blackberry device previously?
- 07-21-2010, 11:09 AM #15
- 07-21-2010, 12:37 PM #16
- 07-21-2010, 02:02 PM #17
Sim card did not work. So We have ruled out:
1. The phone
2. Funky settings on the phone (with the new phone and the hard reset)
3. The sim card
4. Access to internet (opera works)
IM thinking there is an issue with my account or plan.
Im getting back on the phone with there support. I will not let them avoid the issue by asking me to return the phone.
- 07-21-2010, 03:30 PM #18
- 07-21-2010, 04:11 PM #19
- 07-21-2010, 07:01 PM #20
- 07-24-2010, 01:13 PM #22
- 2 Posts
davidk74 - sounds like you have a different solution for a different problem, i have tried the same solutions and have deamed it to be an account issue as well, i have an employee at my store that i set up with the captivate and he is unable to access the net, however when i put my sim in his phone the web works just fine. there are no parental controlls on the account, as well as i have swapped his sim card out for a new one. he had a blackberry previously that worked no problems with the internet, but when we place that sim back in the captivate it gives the "this url has been blocked" error.
other web stuff has been working ok
installed skyfire and tried to access web that way but got same error as native browser.
- 07-24-2010, 01:15 PM #23
- 09-08-2010, 10:41 PM #24
- 1 Posts
I had to trouble shoot this myself in the AT&T store as they were trying to tell me the network was down, I surfed to this blog. They still couldn't find anything but told me I had :
Content blocker and Purchase blocker set to ON for my sons account.
Turned them off and it worked. So call their 1-800 number and get them to turn them off if you have a Captivate and URL blocked comes up for any 3G access.
- 09-09-2010, 06:49 AM #25