Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    20 Global Posts

Default Google contacts syncs "All Contacts"

My friend just got a Captivate, and every contact (some 400+) in his Google account sync to his contacts on his phone.

I know on my Droid, it only syncs the contacts in "My Contacts", and/or allows me to choose the contact group I want to sync.

Is there an option to make the Captivate only sync contacts in "My Contacts" and not everything?

Thanks,
    Billy

I learned about that the hard way too. I had to use the ATT address book to create a fresh contacts list for phone numbers. However, in email, every single person that's ever emailed me is in my email contact list.

I finally just told it not to sync with the google contacts and imported my contacts off the sim as vcards. I had 500+ google contacts that I didn't even know and I could figure out how to remedy the problem.

Tap Phone,
    Tap Contacts
    Tap Menu
    Tap Display Options
    Pick your Account if more than one
    Select Categories of which google contacts should be shown

Quote Originally Posted by icebike View Post
    Tap Phone,
    Tap Contacts
    Tap Menu
    Tap Display Options
    Pick your Account if more than one
    Select Categories of which google contacts should be shown
    That doesn't work for me - google is just an "on/off" selection. I am having the same problem as the OP - I have over a thousand entries in my address book, but I only want certain categories synced to my phone - or at least the option to view by category. It looks like the categories get lost altogether when syncing to google. When I go to the "groups" tab, all of my google contacts are just listed together under the google group.

I don't want to resort to giving up the sync, and just importing my address book, but looks like that may be what I have to do.

Chris.

-knowledgable Android user

tried configuring phone to only sync from the my contacts but was not able to find the drilled down option to do so.

This solution below sucks..... Only solution I could think of with out custom rom and root.

Only solution I could think of would be to create a separate gmail account. I believe Android allows you to 2 sync multiple google accounts. On the new one created you should import all your contacts and have it sync. On the old google account you should disable syncing of contacts.

Checking the show only contacts with a phone number did wonders for me because most of the auto-added email crap will not have a phone. That essentially paired it down to My Contacts only. Hope that helps.

The groups part of google contact sync has to be broken or somewhat unimplemented. I created a "Contractors" group in gmail and made many assignments to the groups. These are not synced to the phone. However when I created phone based contacts and linked them to each gmail contact so I can make ringtone and group assignments on the phone I was unable to create a "Contractors" group on the phone because it already exists. I could create a "Contractor" group instead and make the assignments. So the information is there but not displayed and you can't make just gmail contact group assignments or sync them with the phone. There are lots of problems here with this.