Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default The Captivate Exchange user thread

Is there a way to show the folders in a drop down fashion similar to how it is laid out in Outlook? I find he scrolling left/right up top to be a big PIA.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt Mcgirt View Post
    Is there a way to show the folders in a drop down fashion similar to how it is laid out in Outlook? I find he scrolling left/right up top to be a big PIA.
    I was concernmed about that too, but then I realized the only reason why I had so many folders under my inbox in Exchange was because Blackberry's internet service would keep re-sending me anythhing that was in the inbox when I open it for a reply or forward, or mark as unread, etc.

So yesterday I got rid of most of my subfolders (besides my "Keep" folder for important stuff that I don't want archived) and it looks better.

BTW - if you delete folders from exchange, you will have to empty your deleted items folder before it will be reflected on you phone, and then it might cause a force close of the email app, but it opens right back up fine.

Global Posts
    37 Global Posts

I'm also interested in being able to file email messgages in subfolders.
    For example, move a received email into one of the subfolders.

There's gotta be a way, no?
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Yea, with managing projects I can't really delete any of my folders (and sub-folders..never know when I need to get to that info. Also, I have access to a former employees box (in case I need to retrieve info) and that is all bundled into my list too. At least if it was drop down style, it would be easier to look through and navigate.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt Mcgirt View Post
    Yea, with managing projects I can't really delete any of my folders (and sub-folders..never know when I need to get to that info. Also, I have access to a former employees box (in case I need to retrieve info) and that is all bundled into my list too. At least if it was drop down style, it would be easier to look through and navigate.
    Yeah, I can see how that can be less than ideal...

I haven't tried any of the other mail apps besides K-9, and I wasn't too impressed with that. Plus, for Exchange users, I think our free options are slim.

Global Posts
    37 Global Posts

How about inviting contacts from the calendar?

Anybody having any luck showing their Corporate Calendar in a widget on the home screen (similar to Corporate Calendar widget on Moto Droid?) I really dont want to have to buy touchdown.

Quote Originally Posted by davekoob View Post
    Anybody having any luck showing their Corporate Calendar in a widget on the home screen (similar to Corporate Calendar widget on Moto Droid?) I really dont want to have to buy touchdown.
    Surely there's a calendar widget... it wouldn't have to be Exchange specific, because the widget would only need to read the synchronized calendar on your phone.

The "Daily Briefing" widget shows my corporate events... but just current day.

Global Posts
    37 Global Posts

Or Dialing a phone number entered in a calendar entry notes, or navigating to the "location" field in a calendar entry using google maps.

I see I can edit the entry and copy the data and paste in phone or maps.

Quote Originally Posted by Joeybear23 View Post
    Surely there's a calendar widget... it wouldn't have to be Exchange specific, because the widget would only need to read the synchronized calendar on your phone.

The "Daily Briefing" widget shows my corporate events... but just current day.
    Daily Briefing sucks... It shows what I have at the beginning of my day, but doesnt remove items as they expire. Right now I've got three meetings on my Exchange Calendar
    Chamber
    7:30 am - 12:00 noon

Lunch
    12:00 Noon to 1:45 PM

RMC
    1:45 PM to 9:00 PM

And all daily briefing shows me is "

chamber 7:30 - 12:00 noon

The lack phone dialing from calendar makes me mad - I have lots of conference calls, and this is a big step back.

Also, you can't control which folders sync or when. Drafts doesn't seem to sync at all.

Don't get me started on the colors, hard to see unread messages, and lack of "Mark all" functions.

As much as I love the Captivate, I think it lacks a few things:

Compared to my WinMo HTC HD2, . . . . .
    • I will miss the Sense UI method of displaying the E-Mail messages like sheets of paper that you can scroll through
    • I will most miss SPELL CHECK!!!!!!
    • ARROW KEYS to go back and edit!!!
    • larger screen for typing in
    • and very importantly - SYNCHING with my regular Outlook for contacts and calendar events!!!!

Luckily though, concerning the contacts, I was able to use BT to BT between my HTC HD2 and the Captivate to transfer over all my contacts INCLUDING the pictures I had stored. Boy was that a blessing!!!!!! Otherwise, I don't think there would have been any other way to do that

Quote Originally Posted by R32_Rocky View Post
    As much as I love the Captivate, I think it lacks a few things:

Compared to my WinMo HTC HD2, . . . . .
    • I will miss the Sense UI method of displaying the E-Mail messages like sheets of paper that you can scroll through
    • I will most miss SPELL CHECK!!!!!!
    • ARROW KEYS to go back and edit!!!
    • larger screen for typing in
    • and very importantly - SYNCHING with my regular Outlook for contacts and calendar events!!!!

Luckily though, concerning the contacts, I was able to use BT to BT between my HTC HD2 and the Captivate to transfer over all my contacts INCLUDING the pictures I had stored. Boy was that a blessing!!!!!! Otherwise, I don't think there would have been any other way to do that
    Does your Outlook connect to an Exchange server?
    If so, the synch does not occur like other devices, rather than synch with Outlook, it synchs with Exchange directly when you setup the account.

Quote Originally Posted by davekoob View Post
    Daily Briefing sucks... It shows what I have at the beginning of my day, but doesnt remove items as they expire. Right now I've got three meetings on my Exchange Calendar
    Chamber
    7:30 am - 12:00 noon

Lunch
    12:00 Noon to 1:45 PM

RMC
    1:45 PM to 9:00 PM

And all daily briefing shows me is "

chamber 7:30 - 12:00 noon
    Look at daily briefing, then tap on the schedule portion, it should pull up a full screen of more appointmets for the day.
    Unfortunately, when you dsimiss an appointment it does not drop off the list.

I mentioned this in another thread, but the e-mail client and the "daily briefing" widget (which has to take up a WHOLE home "page" no matter how much info there is, i.e can't add anything else to that page) really, really suck.
    I know it is the TouchWiz interface, and it makes me miss HTC's Sense more and more. I hope we get some custom roms soon with Sense, or else I think I'll be going back to the Aria.

I mean, how can there not be a "move to folder" option??

The only thing that is keeping me on the Captivate at this point is the screen - it is truly remarkable. I have had several people come up to me and ask me what kind of phone I was using, becasue they noticed the screen from accross the room.

Global Posts
    14 Global Posts

Another question regarding corporate emails on exchange

we get emails that have an excel table copy/pasted onto the message body itself. an iphone renders this message beautifully, but other phones simply show it all jumbled up. same with the captivate. is there a setting to render this message similar to the way the iphone does, or is that simply a limitation? from what i am gathering from this thread, it seems like it's a limitation...

Quote Originally Posted by cedarstud View Post
    Another question regarding corporate emails on exchange

we get emails that have an excel table copy/pasted onto the message body itself. an iphone renders this message beautifully, but other phones simply show it all jumbled up. same with the captivate. is there a setting to render this message similar to the way the iphone does, or is that simply a limitation? from what i am gathering from this thread, it seems like it's a limitation...
    I use an MS Office app for attached Office files... I will test an imbedded spreadsheet.

updated to add:

Okay, so I tested it with both exchange and gmail.
    Exchange took the data in the spreadsheet and reformatted it.
    Gmail, however, behaved as it should: it showed the imbedded spreadsheet in the body of the email.
    So clearly this is a limitation of the touchwiz native email app.

Quick office is free for Captivate users, from the marketplace.

(Thanks to Alphadog for posting that in another thread)

AoN

Quote Originally Posted by anneoneamouse View Post
    Quick office is free for Captivate users, from the marketplace.

(Thanks to Alphadog for posting that in another thread)

AoN
    Yup, QuickOffice is what i have... but it does not do anything to fix the imbedded spreadsheet issue in the email client.

Global Posts
    14 Global Posts

Yeah... man, that would be so helpful! Btw, on another note, what's better... quickoffice or docs to go? I found that docs to go opens .docx files while quickoffice doesn't...

Yeah... man, that would be so helpful! Btw, on another note, what's better... quickoffice or docs to go? I found that docs to go opens .docx files while quickoffice doesn't...
    I am looking at a .docx right now with QuickOffice.

???

What's really cool about QuickOffice that I have noticed as well is that if you are looking at a document with a lot of large elements in it (like tables, pictures) that extend off to the side of your screen, you can scroll them from side to side independently of the rest of the document, so your reading text stays put. Makes it somewhat interactive and you don't have to continuously find your place again. It's really cool.
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

Yea, same here. At least the notifications some in ok.

Global Posts
    14 Global Posts

damn... still would love something to render those embedded tables/images in exchange email! any luck guys??

damn... still would love something to render those embedded tables/images in exchange email! any luck guys??
    Have you tried using TouchDown?