Mail Question: Delete Mail from Server

valueman

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Another basic question from a user migrating (possibly) from Blackberry:

One of the things I loved on the BB was the ability to check mail on a POP3 account, and delete the mail off the server after reading it (if I wanted to). I can't seem to figure out how to do that with the Captivate.

For example, when I travel I will use the phone to acess work email. Many times I want to just delete an email after reading it, so I won't have to reload it and delete it when I check mail using Outlook on my laptop. Not using Outlook is not an option.

Any suggestions/tips?

Simba501

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
That option is available when you set up the email account (and in the settings afterwards). It gives you the option to "Delete Email from Server", "When I delete from Inbox"...

anneoneamouse

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Try Touchdown ($20) or K9 Mail (I think free).

I use Touchdown - we have exchange / activesync at work, and Touchdown allows me to remotely search the corporate global address book, which is worth it when I travel.

AoN

valueman

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
That option is available when you set up the email account (and in the settings afterwards). It gives you the option to "Delete Email from Server", "When I delete from Inbox"...

Hmmmm....I looked and looked and could not find such an option. Could you help with specifics on where that setting is?

Simba501

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Go to your email inbox on your device. Hit the menu button, then account settings, scroll down a little and hit "incoming settings", then near the bottom you'll see "delete email from server", with a menu option directly below it

valueman

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Go to your email inbox on your device. Hit the menu button, then account settings, scroll down a little and hit "incoming settings", then near the bottom you'll see "delete email from server", with a menu option directly below it

Many thanks. I am not sure I would have ever thought to look for it there.

I changed the setting, but it did not work they way it should. It did not delete mail off the server when I sent test messages.

I got a copy of K9 and that seems to work fine.

Simba501

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
No problem. The mail will not be deleted off the server until the device email updates. For example, my email is set to update hourly. If I delete a message, that message will still be on the server until the device updates an hour later.

thenewt

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
I cannot locate the "delete from server" option on my Samsung Infuse.
I have already set up the accounts.
When I go to Incoming Server settings , they are all there on my phone except for "delete from server". It just isn't there. So when I delete an email from the Mail app, it stays on the server which I DON'T want.

I have installed K-9 mail, and it has the correct settings that allowed me to delete from the server. But not the built in Mail app?

ANY IDEAS?

Thank
Newt

shaylou

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I am using an EVO 4g and there is no setting to delete from server on my outlook. Funny thing is, there is a setting to delete from server on my hotmail on the same phone. I have the box checked to delete from server on that mail setting but it does not delete anything. I travel a lot and I am always getting a full email alert (I get 70 emails a day). This is a big problem for me, I could really use some help with this. My guess is that it is how the account was first set up on the phone (pop or whatever). Thanks for your help.