Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Personal Preference: Which keypad do you use? (Android, Samsung, or Swype?)

Just curious to know which keypad everyone prefers. I used the Samsung keypad for a while and just switched to the Android keypad today to try it out. I think it looks great.

*For anyone that doesn't know what I'm talking about:

Menu > Settings > Locale and Text > Set default keyboard
    Last edited by Simba501; 07-27-2010 at 03:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Simba501 View Post
    Just curious to know which keypad everyone prefers. I used the Samsung keypad for a while and just switched to the Android keypad today to try it out. I think it looks great.

*For anyone that doesn't know what I'm talking about:

Menu > Settings > Locale and Text > Set default keyboard
    I have been using the Samsung one.
    I haven't graduated to Swype yet, and I am not too impressed by the Android KB. I guess I lik ethe spacing with the Samsung KB, I can type on that thing almost as fast as a real keyboard.... okay, maybe half as fast, but still MUCH faster than that thumb-working BB Storm (having to "click" the screen with each key).

I really like the Samsung keyboard and the copy/paste/arrow buttons when you long-press on the letter/number swap button.

Havent even worked up to Swype yet. I've had a physical keyboard for that past 5 years so I'm just getting used to the on-screen Samsung one.

So the Android one sucks huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Lyanheart View Post
    I really like the Samsung keyboard and the copy/paste/arrow buttons when you long-press on the letter/number swap button.
    Yes, that is kool.
    Thanked by:
    braj 

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt Mcgirt View Post
    Havent even worked up to Swype yet. I've had a physical keyboard for that past 5 years so I'm just getting used to the on-screen Samsung one.

I wouldn't say it sucks, it is just not as accomodating to my thumbs as the Samsung one...

You guys/gals that use XT9. What settings did you enable?

Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock ICS

of the three swype seemed to be the way to go, but ever since i installed swiftkey, i've been using that and loving it.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt Mcgirt View Post

I think it looks nicer, and while they aren't as spaced out, they appear bigger. I haven't been using it long enough to give an opinion on it just yet...

Quote Originally Posted by Simba501 View Post
    I think it looks nicer, and while they aren't as spaced out, they appear bigger. I haven't been using it long enough to give an opinion on it just yet...
    Just played around with it for a few min and it does seem to be a bit more friendly to my fingers than the Samsung.

Slide finger from i button to symbol button in swype - brings up menu.

AoN

I'm using the android one. I was using swype for a few days but I had to think to much while using it then the Samsung one wasn't to good at auto correction

Global Posts
    380 Global Posts

I prefer the android keyboard. They keys are spaced out better for me. I agree with the other person that it requires too much thinking to use.

swype. much easier to type with one hand and while driving.. although i dont recommend anyone do that.
    Italiano Papi

Global Posts
    3,542 Global Posts
    ROM
    iOS 5.1

Im with the samsung keyboard also. The buttons are layed out a little bit bigger then Andriods and Swypes. Swype is cool once in awhile, but I dont see me swyping constantly lol

Global Posts
    131 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock, Stock

I feel like such an *****! I didn't know about the copy paste arrows on the samsung keyboard. That is the keyboard I have been using. I have used the stock android keyboard and swype on my N1 and didn't like either.

Quote Originally Posted by CaCHooKaMan View Post
    swype. much easier to type with one hand and while driving.. although i dont recommend anyone do that.
    While driving try using the voice-to-text on the android keyboard. Normally I don't like those voice options but it works really well

Samsung keyboard is best - especially after you turn on the auto suggest.

Quote Originally Posted by kmbro90 View Post
    While driving try using the voice-to-text on the android keyboard. Normally I don't like those voice options but it works really well
    ive tried it but i found that i have to correct errors even more when i use voice over swype

Global Posts
    171 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kmbro90 View Post
    I'm using the android one. I was using swype for a few days but I had to think to much while using it then the Samsung one wasn't to good at auto correction
    Same here.

The Swype SEEMS faster, but without auto correction and with words that end in double letters, etc., I'm not sure it actually is.

I switched to Android and am basically using the voice input whenever possible. That seems the fastest.

Came from the iphone..."in which i do not encourage anyone to own"
    Using the swype board.... easy to use.... can use it as regular text or utilize the swype feature... just have to get use to the symbol placement

Quote Originally Posted by know1 View Post
    Same here.

The Swype SEEMS faster, but without auto correction and with words that end in double letters, etc., I'm not sure it actually is.

I switched to Android and am basically using the voice input whenever possible. That seems the fastest.
    double letters are created on swype by making a loop with your finger over that letter... pretty easy after you do it a couple of times

I love Swype. It seems to read my mind. There are times when I get "lost" in my swype and think "no way it will get this one!" and then somehow "perpendicular" is there! lol

I came from a world of the 3 previous smart phones I owned had physical keyboards so I have zero experience typing on a screen (other than on my nook). On the second day of using swype I challenged my friend on his iPhone (he has used one for 3 years) to type "The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog." I beat him and with only one mistake (fox was fix).

I sometimes wish I could swype my laptop keyboard.

Global Posts
    171 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Albitron View Post
    double letters are created on swype by making a loop with your finger over that letter... pretty easy after you do it a couple of times
    Thanks for the tip. I still am not convinced I can type faster on swype than I can on a standard keyboard, and I really like using the voice input most of all.

So far I don't really like any of them. My brain doesn't work with Swype (can't seem to find letters) and I want to use two hands anyway.

The other keyboards don't auto-correct very well for me (used to the iPhone auto-correct). But I'm swapping back and forth between the Samsung and Android keyboards to see if I can get used to one.

Cool that there are others in the market as well. If I can't get used to one of the built-in ones, I'll try out one of the others.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast