Plug my Captivate into my PC and it shows

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Installing the MTP USB device but it fails every single time.. if I turn on the Captivate screen, shows a usb plug with the 3 dots at the bottom rotating left to right but then i cant use anything on the device, notification bar doesnt work, nothing.. wtfm8

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
I didn't.. of course it probably says that on the manual right?

I've used 5 Android phones and none needed drivers.. figures.

sniffs

Dec 3, 2009
Visit site
Ehh...is it supposed to do this for AC adapters also? I plugged the Captivate in via USB to an wall plug ad its showing the MTP Application and "Connected" and not allowing me to do anything...none of the buttons work, cant pull down notification bar, cant go to home.. if I unplug, it goes back to normal.

anneoneamouse

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Under

Settings > Applications > USB Settings

Set to Mass Storage

you'll be able to use the phone with a USB cable plugged in.

I haven't tried the other options.

AoN

alphadog

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
The phone has a number of USB modes. The default mode that you see makes the phone inaccessible, but the computer sees "Phone" and "Card" (if you installed an SD card). This works great for applications that like to sync with Music devices (Windows Media Player and others).

If you want to use your phone while it is plugged in, change to the Mass Storage option above or select "ask me every time" and the phone will prompt you.

If you select Mass storage, keep mind of a couple things:

1. When you connect, the phone will see 2 generic removable drives (phone, and sd card if installed)
2. The drives will be give you an insert disk message if you click on them, unless you go to the phone and pull down the notification bar, and choose to mount USB.
3. If you mount your drives so your PC sees them, you can't use them on the Phone, so any app accessing data in these locations will fail.
4. Some apps (in Windows) like to sync with devices in the MPT option, some like to see drive letters - so it depends on the windows app doing the syncing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz