Top 5/Bottom 5

Stromson

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
Figured just for giggles we could do a little Top 5 favorite features and Bottom 5 worst "features" on the Captivate...you know, because these things are fun (I didn't see a similar thread when I searched, but if I missed it, my apologies).

Top 5:
1) Super AMOLED Display (So pretty...)

2) The shape (I know I'm weird, but I actually love how the Captivate looks versus the stock Galaxy S and Vibrant)

3) Power Button on the Side (I thought I'd absolutely hate this positioning, but it turns out I actually kind of like it)

4) Video Camera (Have really been impressed with the 720p video recording. It won't replace a stand alone, but it's a solid Flip HD substitute.)

5) TouchWiz 3.0* (I only actually like a few parts, namely the swipe left or right on a contact, the unlock screen with the puzzle pieces, and the widgets. I also kinda liked how the apps are done in pages instead of one giant scrolling list.)

Bottom 5:
1) TouchWiz 3.0 (Outside of the few aspects I mentioned, the rest of TouchWiz is terrible.)

2) Bloatware (AT&T sucks)

3) No Sideloading Apps (AT&T still sucks, although at least there is a non-root workaround here)

4) No Notification Light (Seriously?! Worst oversight ever...ok not really, but still, count me in the "not a fan" group)

5) Camera Placement (Phil wasn't lying in his review, that camera is a finger magnet)

Obeg

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
Top 5:
1) Android. Coming from my previous 3 smartphones being WIN Mobile - even had an old CE 5.0 PDA - Android is a gazillion times better.

2) The screen is awesome.

3) Everything I do is Google (Gmail (work email even flows through GMail), calendar, chat, maps... yadda yadda yadda ) - love how everything just is integrated like it should be.

4) Shape and size - it just feels good in the hand

5) Apps. Again coming from Win Mobile - apps are way better and much more to choose from.

Bottom 5:
1) Battery Life - not getting past 4pm on most days....

2) No Notification Light (Seriously?! Worst oversight ever...ok not really, but still, count me in the "not a fan" group) (Ditto!!) - Although I think this could be solved with an app that causes the bottom led lights to blink.

3) Speaking of those lights - they go off WAY too quick and then they don't have any tactic feel so impossible to find the right one in the dark. (Unless there is a setting I don't know about?)

4) AT&T. :)

5) GPS Synching sporadic...

So considering 3 of those "bottoms" can be fixed with software updates, battery is bad because I love the phone too much and play too much, and #4 is not the phones fault - I think we have a winner here!

l1ghtn1ng

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
1. Screen- It's just so bright and big haha
2. Android- I came from an iPhone I love being able to customize everything!!
3. Being able to use a Micro SD card!
4. Camera is fast fast fast.
5. The puzzle piece notification on the lock screen.

Things I don't like

1. Not being able to turn off Touch Wiz! I wish we at least had the option coming from an iPhone I feel like I'm using a modded version of iOS.
2. The buttons below the screen. They aren't the best.
3. Battery could use some improvement
4. Daily Briefing can't be used on the same page as anything else. :(
5. Phone feels plasticy. I had an iPhone 4 the Captivate just doesn't compare in build quality. (I do like how light it feels though)

sigmamason

Jun 20, 2010
Visit site
Top 5:
1) AT&T support and signal. Works great for me...don't like AT&T: find a new carrier and stop complaining...wait...you will then have new complaints...
2) Screen
3) Can be customized
4) Camera is decent
5) Being able to OTA synch items

Bottom 5:
1) Battery Life
2) More like 1a, but not being able to cut copy paste is making me think about going back to my old 9700 or iphone 4 ASAP. It is a must have.
3) Not sold on Android devices as business capable devices.
4) Social networking apps (facebook, linkedin) are pathetic in comparison to their major competitors
5) Need more than 5.

Lyanheart

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
My top 5:
  • Super AMOLED Screen (I want a TV made with this)
  • Android itself and Google integration (so many options)
  • Storage Capacity (16gig + 32gig SD card)
  • Powerful hardware
  • Form Factor (large screen, but device overall is very pocketable)
My issues:
  • Questionable GPS performance (still hoping for some sort of fix/update)
  • AT&T intentionally holds back in order to not trump the iphone

1. Not being able to turn off Touch Wiz! I wish we at least had the option coming from an iPhone I feel like I'm using a modded version of iOS.

Get the Home Switcher app and download different launchers to try. Nobody is making you use TouchWiz... ;)

not being able to cut copy paste is making me think about going back to my old 9700 or iphone 4 ASAP. It is a must have.

As was mentioned, we do have cut/copy/paste... On the Samsung keyboard, press & hold the ?123 key and it switches to the cut/copy/paste menu with arrow keys to help select what you want. Works very well.

Last edited:

Stromson

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
Top 5:
1) AT&T support and signal. Works great for me...don't like AT&T: find a new carrier and stop complaining...wait...you will then have new complaints...

AT&T signal where I live is generally pretty solid, not Verizon quality but not that far behind either. I mostly just hate their corporate crap.

3) Not sold on Android devices as business capable devices.

They aren't. As much as I love Android, if you need a serious business oriented device, you'd be better served by BlackBerry or iPhone (yes, I went there). That isn't to say that Android *can't* do business; it certainly has some solid capabilities, it just isn't Google's focus right now (or doesn't seem to be).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez