Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default GPS question

Thinking of grabbing a Captivate. But while I understand there is a GPS issue what I can't seem to gather is does this affect all, most, many, some, or few phones? Reading the various forums there seems to be a lot of people with this issues but I can't tell if your odds are 10% or 90% of getting one that works. Anyone know if this is widespread or odds are most users are ok?

Global Posts
    265 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Carrier
    4.0.3/1.4.3/4.1.2

No idea on how wide spread, but I haven't had any issues yet, but I don't use it as often as I think others on this forum do.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My GPS seems to work fine.
    It matches the performance of my TomTom 740.
    I guess I am one of the lucky ones.

Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Carrier
    ACS Bomboozle

I have noticed with mine that sometimes I need to turn off wifi before GPS will connect.

Global Posts
    171 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Barely works at all on mine. I even traded in mine for another and it's about the same. I have the one fix in place, but have decided this is something that Samsung is going to have to push out OTA.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mine is spotty at best (when a BlackBerry Bold gains a quicker GPS fix, you know there's a problem). Samsung will hopefully be pushing out a fix sometime in the not so distant future.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd say they're probably all the same (and marginal) - GPS performance probably depends on what the geography is like around you (hills/ mountains / urban canyons).

I live in a large, deep mountainous bowl, GPS lock is ~ 1 to 2 minutes for me as a result.

AoN

Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My GPS doesn't work, even using all the "tips" here and else where... It can take upwards of 15 minutes to get a lock standing outdoors on a clear day.

Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Carrier
    Cognition 2.3b8

I have had the phone about 10 days now, and I have never been able to get a gps fix.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My GPS takes anywhere from only a few seconds to up to a couple minutes to obtain solid lock. It's no better, nor worse than any GPS device I have used in the past.

Global Posts
    390 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have had GPS issues since day one. No fix has cured my problem for any length of time. I played around with a "new, just outta the box" Captivate at the AT&T store that could not get lock either. I am going to keep trying and wait for an OTA fix from Samsung or start swapping it out daily before my 30 days is up for another unit until I get one that works.