Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    72 Global Posts

Default GPS question

Thinking of grabbing a Captivate. But while I understand there is a GPS issue what I can't seem to gather is does this affect all, most, many, some, or few phones? Reading the various forums there seems to be a lot of people with this issues but I can't tell if your odds are 10% or 90% of getting one that works. Anyone know if this is widespread or odds are most users are ok?

Global Posts
    253 Global Posts
    ROM
    4.0.3/1.4.3/4.1.2

No idea on how wide spread, but I haven't had any issues yet, but I don't use it as often as I think others on this forum do.

My GPS seems to work fine.
    It matches the performance of my TomTom 740.
    I guess I am one of the lucky ones.

Global Posts
    9 Global Posts
    ROM
    ACS Bomboozle

I have noticed with mine that sometimes I need to turn off wifi before GPS will connect.

Global Posts
    171 Global Posts

Barely works at all on mine. I even traded in mine for another and it's about the same. I have the one fix in place, but have decided this is something that Samsung is going to have to push out OTA.

Global Posts
    171 Global Posts

Mine is spotty at best (when a BlackBerry Bold gains a quicker GPS fix, you know there's a problem). Samsung will hopefully be pushing out a fix sometime in the not so distant future.

I'd say they're probably all the same (and marginal) - GPS performance probably depends on what the geography is like around you (hills/ mountains / urban canyons).

I live in a large, deep mountainous bowl, GPS lock is ~ 1 to 2 minutes for me as a result.

AoN

Global Posts
    92 Global Posts

My GPS doesn't work, even using all the "tips" here and else where... It can take upwards of 15 minutes to get a lock standing outdoors on a clear day.

Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    ROM
    Cognition 2.3b8

I have had the phone about 10 days now, and I have never been able to get a gps fix.

My GPS takes anywhere from only a few seconds to up to a couple minutes to obtain solid lock. It's no better, nor worse than any GPS device I have used in the past.

Global Posts
    390 Global Posts

I have had GPS issues since day one. No fix has cured my problem for any length of time. I played around with a "new, just outta the box" Captivate at the AT&T store that could not get lock either. I am going to keep trying and wait for an OTA fix from Samsung or start swapping it out daily before my 30 days is up for another unit until I get one that works.