Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Itlan#AC's Avatar

    Posts
    71 Posts
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts

    Default Cut & Paste?

    Was playing with a Cap in store and is the cut and paste only for all? Is there not a way to select the text by dragging the portion to size like you want on the iPhone or Droid X? Seemed to be you copy the entire URL or none, was I doing something wrong or does it operate different then those other devices?
  2. #2  
    dmnall's Avatar

    Posts
    254 Posts
    Global Posts
    643 Global Posts
    ROM
    Latest AOKP!

    Default

    You can select one word by double clicking the word and hold it to bring up the Menu to Copy and then you can paste it... As for dragging, I have not tried but I can in a bit...

    HTH,
    Charlie
  3. #3  

    Default

    i'm double clicking words, but nothing happens. also, is there a way to select only certain text?
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  
    Itlan#AC's Avatar

    Posts
    71 Posts
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts

    Default

    That's what I saw. One word or all. No way to select a phrase and resize to the portion you want. Didn't think manufacturers had to add that. Would have thought 2.1 handled it. Weird.
  5. #5  

    Default

    you can select what you want but its just really hard to do since you cant drag to select. you have to tap to the point that you want to highlight and it gets really frustrating.
  6. #6  

    Default

    Hold down the ?123 key on the samsung keyboard- it switches to the copy & paste keyboard with arrow keys to help you select what you want.
  7. #7  
    harryzwd's Avatar

    Posts
    25 Posts
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock ICS

    Default

    i never knew that - that's pretty cool, too bad it doesn't do the same for the android keyboard
  8. #8  

    Default

    Yeah, I'm disappointed with the copy/paste support overall. iOS has a really nice method for that. Does anyone know if it's better in Froyo?

    Off topic, it's been very interesting coming over from iOS to Android. Android has awesome power and amazing features that make the phone align much closer to what I want (notification area and widgets just to name two). On the other hand, iOS has great usability features (copy/paste, keyboard). I hope they both continue to improve on one another.
  9. #9  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by objectuser View Post
    Yeah, I'm disappointed with the copy/paste support overall. iOS has a really nice method for that. Does anyone know if it's better in Froyo?

    Off topic, it's been very interesting coming over from iOS to Android. Android has awesome power and amazing features that make the phone align much closer to what I want (notification area and widgets just to name two). On the other hand, iOS has great usability features (copy/paste, keyboard). I hope they both continue to improve on one another.
    i agree. i'm coming from ios4 and a 3gs, but love this captivate. the widgets are so awesome as is the tray. i'm going to have to try the holding the 123 button now.
  10. #10  

    Default

    I am so disappointed that you cannot copy and paste from emails. I mean what an oversight. Wasn't it android people making fun of iphone people and how they couldn't copy and paste in the past? Huge letdown..
    Thanked by:
  11. #11  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lyanheart View Post
    Hold down the ?123 key on the samsung keyboard- it switches to the copy & paste keyboard with arrow keys to help you select what you want.
    That's nice to know. Unfortunately the Samsung keyboard doesn't have the word prediction.

    Also didn't know you could change the Samsung keyboard into a phone number pad or a handwriting space... Pretty cool despite being mostly useless.
    Samsung Captivate (Stock)
  12. #12  
    braj's Avatar

    Posts
    197 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,727 Global Posts

    Default

    The Samsung does have next word prediction, you can find in Xt9 advanced settings.
    Thanked by:
  13. #13  
    GKrumm's Avatar

    Posts
    8 Posts
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AndroidForMe View Post
    I am so disappointed that you cannot copy and paste from emails. I mean what an oversight. Wasn't it android people making fun of iphone people and how they couldn't copy and paste in the past? Huge letdown..
    Just long press where you want to start copying and a menu comes up to "Select All", "Cut All", and "Select Text" i think (phone not in front of me)

    If you "Select Text", just short press where you want to end the selection and it does it.

    Let me know if thats not what you were looking for.
  14. #14  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DolemiteGK View Post
    Just long press where you want to start copying and a menu comes up to "Select All", "Cut All", and "Select Text" i think (phone not in front of me)
    That doesn't appear to work generally in the Gmail app (unless it recognizes some text pattern and then you can copy that text). But selecting text to copy does not work for me.
  15. #15  
    GKrumm's Avatar

    Posts
    8 Posts
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by objectuser View Post
    That doesn't appear to work generally in the Gmail app (unless it recognizes some text pattern and then you can copy that text). But selecting text to copy does not work for me.
    I'll have to double check GMail when I can... I remember this working in text, web, and other places.
  16. #16  

    Default

    Doesn't appear to work in an email that you're reading, in Touchdown.

    AoN
  17. #17  
    Arelunde's Avatar
    TECHFAN

    Posts
    1,338 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,627 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AndroidForMe View Post
    I am so disappointed that you cannot copy and paste from emails. I mean what an oversight. Wasn't it android people making fun of iphone people and how they couldn't copy and paste in the past? Huge letdown..
    You CAN do this ... on the original, press and hold (for a long time) the copy area, it will turn red and eventually a menu will pop up with options to copy, cut, paste etc. In new text/email/whatever, press and hold (again for a long time) in the copy area. Again, the menu will pop up and you can paste. Then edit, if there's too much.

    Not sure how to select certain sections other than to touch and hold for a specific word.
    Always learning ...
  18. #18  

    Default

    You're talking about the Gmail client? I have to say, it still doesn't appear to work, no matter how long I press and hold.
  19. #19  
    braj's Avatar

    Posts
    197 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,727 Global Posts

    Default

    Is there any third party cut/paste utilities to work around this?
  20. #20  

    Default

    ALL 3 input method keyboards can do copy/paste of any chunk of a message. It will copy from a text message into an email, but it won't copy/paste from an email to another email or text....
    ... example: view a recent text. Touch the message to get cursor to one end of the text block you want to copy. Press and hold the message window - a menu pops up offering option like, select text, delete, copy, paste, etc. Choose 'select text', then re-touch message to place cursor at the other end of the text block to be copied: it will blue-highlight the selected text. Press and hold the message window, select 'Copy'. Now navigate to another received (or new) text message, or to an outgoing email, press and hold message window, and select 'paste' and voila! In it goes.
    It's a bit clumsy having so many steps, but it works - and for all three keyboard types!
    Last edited by NeilQ; 08-08-2010 at 09:21 PM.
  21. #21  

    Default

    u r awesome!
  22. #22  
    Johnly's Avatar

    Posts
    7,357 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,402 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

    Default

    Read the swype tutorial. awesome copy paste function once mastered. I like the "cursor" to, as accurate as a mouse
  23. #23  
    Johnly's Avatar

    Posts
    7,357 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,402 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

    Default

    PS in gmail, just bring cursor up, then navigate it to beginning of gmail to be copied, then press copy, and drag your finger across the screen. Presto, gmail copy paste done.
  24. #24  
    Johnly's Avatar

    Posts
    7,357 Posts
    Global Posts
    10,402 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NeilQ View Post
    ALL 3 input method keyboards can do copy/paste of any chunk of a message. It will copy from a text message into an email, but it won't copy/paste from an email to another email or text....
    ... example: view a recent text. Touch the message to get cursor to one end of the text block you want to copy. Press and hold the message window - a menu pops up offering option like, select text, delete, copy, paste, etc. Choose 'select text', then re-touch message to place cursor at the other end of the text block to be copied: it will blue-highlight the selected text. Press and hold the message window, select 'Copy'. Now navigate to another received (or new) text message, or to an outgoing email, press and hold message window, and select 'paste' and voila! In it goes.
    It's a bit clumsy having so many steps, but it works - and for all three keyboard types!
    You can copy emai to email

Posting Permissions

B