Captivate tethering built in

writerman

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
I saw this mentioned one other place, I just don't remember where. Anyway, as I write this I am tethering with my Captivate using only the "PC Internet" option under Settings>Applications>USB Settings. I'm not running any other tethering program nor am I using the google codes .apk that's been floating around that is supposed to allow tethering on the Captivate. Tethering just works. At least for me.

Just thought I'd pass along the info.

lillejord

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
You know, I saw that listed in the options and just assumed AT&T had it disabled... But yeah, just tested it and it worked. Seams you have to have WiFi disabled though.

tmotytn

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
I have had this phone for a week and half....EVERY DAY I have been scouring the forums, trying to find the hacks and mods that would allow tethering...wasted time downloading KIES and getting that to recognize my device, downloaded the Droid Explorer thing yesterday---and the whole time it was already there?!??!!

FML sideways...

Thanks for posting this, guys...

writerman

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
What I don't know is how this method of tethering looks on AT&T's side. Meaning, can they tell that I'm tethering as opposed to simply surfing on my device?

tmotytn

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site
What I don't know is how this method of tethering looks on AT&T's side. Meaning, can they tell that I'm tethering as opposed to simply surfing on my device?

My thoughts are that it would be just like the old WinMo tricks we would play to get the $15 medianet data package...(sim in dumbphone, allow test call, sim back in smrtphone)...as long as you are careful, they won't know...

Just don't use it as your only means of web browsing... moderate use shouldn't raise any red flags...

writerman

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
My thoughts are that it would be just like the old WinMo tricks we would play to get the $15 medianet data package...(sim in dumbphone, allow test call, sim back in smrtphone)...as long as you are careful, they won't know...

Just don't use it as your only means of web browsing... moderate use shouldn't raise any red flags...

Yeah, I just like knowing the capability is there if I need it. Thanks for your input!

Joeybear23

May 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm just yankin' your chain. That's odd that it shuts your phone off, though.

I think it may be a conflict with the driver and McAfee...

I will try it on my Win7 desktop when I get home tomorrow.

I called and talked to Samsung support about it, but the rep seemed clueless as to the "PC Internet" USB setting. They said I can get the phone replaced, but I won't do that until I can confirm it happens on other machines than just my laptop.

Majikman

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I can't seem to get this to work. After I enable PC internet my browser just says it can connect to anything. I'll fiddle with my network settings to see if I can get it to work. If not I'll just go back to PDA net!

lillejord

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
It allows you to use your phone as a modem for you computer. Useful for laptops or when your roommate forgets to pay the internet bill...

ryzukan

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
I downloaded and installed the usb driver from Samsung but I can't get the tethering to work. I've tried turning off wifi but still nothing. I tried the mass storage mode to check the drivers and it recognizes it there. I'm using win7 x64 if that makes any difference. Any ideas?

boulder#AC

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
with the driver from Samsung, it works like charm! Thank you!
This wouldn't enable the ATT tethering charge, right? And any app to monitor the data usage?

writerman

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
with the driver from Samsung, it works like charm! Thank you!
This wouldn't enable the ATT tethering charge, right? And any app to monitor the data usage?

To the best of my knowledge AT&T doesn't offer a tethering package with the Captivate. The AT&T "My Wireless" app allows you to view data usage. As someone earlier in this thread told me, I wouldn't use the tether feature as your primary Internet access.

maleih

Jul 22, 2010
Visit site
I think it may be a conflict with the driver and McAfee...

I will try it on my Win7 desktop when I get home tomorrow.

I called and talked to Samsung support about it, but the rep seemed clueless as to the "PC Internet" USB setting. They said I can get the phone replaced, but I won't do that until I can confirm it happens on other machines than just my laptop.
That happens on my laptop but it works fine on my desktop. Wish it was the other way around. If u find a fix, please post.

Joeybear23

May 13, 2010
Visit site
That happens on my laptop but it works fine on my desktop. Wish it was the other way around. If u find a fix, please post.

No fix yet, but it works fine with Kies...

For some reason I think Kies uses a driver that doesn't cause the conflict, but I can't seem to locate which driver it is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana