Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    63 Global Posts

Default Captivate tethering built in

I saw this mentioned one other place, I just don't remember where. Anyway, as I write this I am tethering with my Captivate using only the "PC Internet" option under Settings>Applications>USB Settings. I'm not running any other tethering program nor am I using the google codes .apk that's been floating around that is supposed to allow tethering on the Captivate. Tethering just works. At least for me.

Just thought I'd pass along the info.
    Thanked by:

You know, I saw that listed in the options and just assumed AT&T had it disabled... But yeah, just tested it and it worked. Seams you have to have WiFi disabled though.
    Samsung Captivate (Stock)

Global Posts
    186 Global Posts

I have had this phone for a week and half....EVERY DAY I have been scouring the forums, trying to find the hacks and mods that would allow tethering...wasted time downloading KIES and getting that to recognize my device, downloaded the Droid Explorer thing yesterday---and the whole time it was already there?!??!!

FML sideways...

Thanks for posting this, guys...
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Global Posts
    63 Global Posts

What I don't know is how this method of tethering looks on AT&T's side. Meaning, can they tell that I'm tethering as opposed to simply surfing on my device?

when i connect with "PC Internet" the Samsung NCIB comes up momentarily, but then my phone shuts off completely....

Joey
    Samsung Captivate
    All FroYo'd and stuff...

Global Posts
    186 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ranjo View Post
    What I don't know is how this method of tethering looks on AT&T's side. Meaning, can they tell that I'm tethering as opposed to simply surfing on my device?
    My thoughts are that it would be just like the old WinMo tricks we would play to get the $15 medianet data package...(sim in dumbphone, allow test call, sim back in smrtphone)...as long as you are careful, they won't know...

Just don't use it as your only means of web browsing... moderate use shouldn't raise any red flags...
    Thanked by:
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Global Posts
    63 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Joeybear23 View Post
    when i connect with "PC Internet" the Samsung NCIB comes up momentarily, but then my phone shuts off completely....

I wonder what the National Credit Information Bureau has to do with this?
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    63 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by tmotytn View Post
    My thoughts are that it would be just like the old WinMo tricks we would play to get the $15 medianet data package...(sim in dumbphone, allow test call, sim back in smrtphone)...as long as you are careful, they won't know...

Just don't use it as your only means of web browsing... moderate use shouldn't raise any red flags...
    Yeah, I just like knowing the capability is there if I need it. Thanks for your input!

I wonder what the National Credit Information Bureau has to do with this?
    sorry.. NDIS...
    serious typo.
    Joey
    Samsung Captivate
    All FroYo'd and stuff...
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Global Posts
    63 Global Posts

sorry.. NDIS...
    serious typo.
    I'm just yankin' your chain. That's odd that it shuts your phone off, though.

I'm just yankin' your chain. That's odd that it shuts your phone off, though.
    I think it may be a conflict with the driver and McAfee...

I will try it on my Win7 desktop when I get home tomorrow.

I called and talked to Samsung support about it, but the rep seemed clueless as to the "PC Internet" USB setting. They said I can get the phone replaced, but I won't do that until I can confirm it happens on other machines than just my laptop.
    Joey
    Samsung Captivate
    All FroYo'd and stuff...

I can't seem to get this to work. After I enable PC internet my browser just says it can connect to anything. I'll fiddle with my network settings to see if I can get it to work. If not I'll just go back to PDA net!

I new to this but what does tethering allow you to do? I should google or search but I am to lazy.

It allows you to use your phone as a modem for you computer. Useful for laptops or when your roommate forgets to pay the internet bill...
    Samsung Captivate (Stock)

when I plugged in my PC, it asks for driver. Where can I find that?

I downloaded and installed the usb driver from Samsung but I can't get the tethering to work. I've tried turning off wifi but still nothing. I tried the mass storage mode to check the drivers and it recognizes it there. I'm using win7 x64 if that makes any difference. Any ideas?

with the driver from Samsung, it works like charm! Thank you!
    This wouldn't enable the ATT tethering charge, right? And any app to monitor the data usage?
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

Global Posts
    63 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by boulder View Post
    with the driver from Samsung, it works like charm! Thank you!
    This wouldn't enable the ATT tethering charge, right? And any app to monitor the data usage?
    To the best of my knowledge AT&T doesn't offer a tethering package with the Captivate. The AT&T "My Wireless" app allows you to view data usage. As someone earlier in this thread told me, I wouldn't use the tether feature as your primary Internet access.

I think it may be a conflict with the driver and McAfee...

I will try it on my Win7 desktop when I get home tomorrow.

I called and talked to Samsung support about it, but the rep seemed clueless as to the "PC Internet" USB setting. They said I can get the phone replaced, but I won't do that until I can confirm it happens on other machines than just my laptop.
    That happens on my laptop but it works fine on my desktop. Wish it was the other way around. If u find a fix, please post.

Quote Originally Posted by maleih View Post
    That happens on my laptop but it works fine on my desktop. Wish it was the other way around. If u find a fix, please post.
    No fix yet, but it works fine with Kies...

For some reason I think Kies uses a driver that doesn't cause the conflict, but I can't seem to locate which driver it is.
    Joey
    Samsung Captivate
    All FroYo'd and stuff...
    DL

Captivate Tethering solution with AT&T using Kies UK version
    ...and no ADK or rooting changes...

Am a new At&T Captivate user for a few weeks. Love it. Wanted to tether a 2nd remote PC/XP occasionally for some lite use. A 2 GB tether data contract is available from At&T for $60 with the Captivate. Way too much. I am on the $25 2GB plan.

This solution works with WiFi or data connection, but data is noticeably slower,7.2Mbps but very acceptable.

A tethering-for-free workaround is as follows:

I have a Home XP.

Go to Samsung UK (NOT USA!)

click on Support
    click on Galaxy S
    click on the software tab
    download and save Kies file for UK to the computer you will later tether-- do not install yet.
    FIRST
    Be sure you have the following on your Home XP...
    It ALL is REQUIRED....
    Net Framework 3.5 SP1
    Windows Media Player 10 or later
    ActiveSync(Windows XP), Device Center if Vista)
    DirectX 9.0C
    ---all are free downloads----
    -------------------------
    Now be sure the computer you want to set up to tether later is NOW connected to the internet via cable or WI-FI.

Install the Kies set up. Kies REQUIRES Internet connection for installation. Will not install on an unconnected computer. Takes about 15 minutes. Be patient.

Be sure it opens cleanly. It will not work if any error messages. Error messages WILL appear if you fail to have the above required software loaded.

now close Kies. You should note the location of the Icon for opening later

Now go to your Captivate.
    settings, applications , USB settings

Make sure Samsung Kies has green dot.

click back to phone home screen.

now remove all Internet connection from your computer you wish to tether.

connect USB cable to your phone... then plug into your computer.

The connection will automatically launch the Kies dashboard.

The connection will also shut off bluetooth on your Captivate, take over your entire phone screen, and turn your phone into a connected modem. It cannot be used for anything else while in USB-Kies tether mode.

The Kies on the PC will automatically attempt to find and connect with your phone and when successful will display MyComputer Icon in the upper left hand corner, and your SGH-I897 icon in the upper right hand corner. Takes a few minutes to find and connect.

Now find the tether icon on the Kies dashboard row of icons.

click on it.

It will give you the tethering pop-up box and show your phone.... but it is NOT tethering yet.

click on the gear settings icon on the pop-up...

IMPORTANT: for select country... choose USA

It will then fill in all the other required blocks for you

click ok

now click the connect icon on the bottom right corner

The pop up tells you any current process must be broken and asks if you want to proceed... click yes

Kies will then tether the computer through your Captivate.

You can have the Captivate on a WiFi connection or just through data, it works fine either way, but is faster with wifi and does not tap your kb count..

This allows you to connect a PC that lacks wi-fi to the Internet through your Captivate with no additional charge ----just remember your plan will be limited to either 200 MB or 2GB depending on the plan you have with AT&T.

Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    ROM
    2.3.4 / Stock

Or just use PDANet. Take out the SIM card, connect via Wi-Fi, go to the Market and download it. Put SIM card back in and follow the directions on how to connect using PDANet (there are a lot of threads about how to do this).

Yes somehow tethering was left in by AT&T, my guess is they just missed it. People previewing the latest firmware update said it'd been removed in the new version, and I'm almost positive that'll remain true, but there's plenty of alternative solutions out there already.

For those concerned about data usage, there's an app called '3G Watchdog' on the market that'll keep track of your quota.

Seriously considering a Captivate...

Can anyone tell me if I'll still be able to receive voice calls when tethering this phone (apparently not w/ Kies, but what about with other methods)? After much searching, it seems that the best-case scenario is that it will interrupt my data connection if I get a call... that would be acceptable if not ideal (it'd be nice if I can get text msgs, too). However, if tethering the phone completely cuts off voice functionality (and contact with the outside world), that would be a deal-breaker. Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

You can still receive phone calls while tethering; however, your bluetooth function is disabled.
    Thanked by:
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast