Samsung Kies software

Dramer77

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys i just though id post this up here.. I downloaded the Kies software from the samsung UK website.. its pretty slick.. u can transfer pic's etc from your phone to you Pc through it.. you can also transfer media files like music/movies from you computer to your phone... and one big thing, the kies software let me pull my itunes music into it and transfer it to my phone... there is also a tethering potion built in that you just cick on it and it will tether your phone ... you just have to select your country and carrier and it sets everything for you... im sync'n music right now so we'll see how that goes... heres a link to where u can DL it.. u just have to click on software

Samsung GALAXY S - Galaxy S - Smartphone - Mobile Phones | SAMSUNG

know1

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I've been meaning to look into Kies.

I'm not 100% sure it works on Linux, though, but I'm hopeful it does.

writerman

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
I downloaded Kies a couple of days ago and found it to be a thoroughly uncooperative piece of software, at least for me. I spent about 2 hours trying to get it and my phone to shake hands but they refused to do so.

Which is just as well because I don't really need it. I import my pics and vids with picasa and sync my music with doubletwist. I dl'd just because I'm a geek and that's what we do. Anyway, I'm glad to hear that somebody got it to work!

Joeybear23

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Works for me.

I am tethered right now, and getting 2.22 down, but a measly .11 up...

But still, as a fallback internet connection, that is more than sufficient.

Also, the Kies tool just uses the phone as a modem, similar to what I used to do with my Blackberry to tether.

I will do a write-up on how to do this and start a new thread.

Majikman

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I'd like to use it as well, but I didn't see a OSX version :-( (yes I am one of those people :p ) I can always use it over bootcamp, so I'll be interested to see how well it works for everyone.

Dramer77

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
I downloaded Kies a couple of days ago and found it to be a thoroughly uncooperative piece of software, at least for me. I spent about 2 hours trying to get it and my phone to shake hands but they refused to do so.

Which is just as well because I don't really need it. I import my pics and vids with picasa and sync my music with doubletwist. I dl'd just because I'm a geek and that's what we do. Anyway, I'm glad to hear that somebody got it to work!

when i plug my phone in kies opens automatically... i couldnt get it to connect up at first, and yesterday kies downloaded a big update for me... now it works flawlessly.. i can convert avi video files with the software and load it onto my phone.. i can import my itunes library with kies and load what i want on my phone... it even loaded album artwork etc for almost everything...

writerman

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
when i plug my phone in kies opens automatically... i couldnt get it to connect up at first, and yesterday kies downloaded a big update for me... now it works flawlessly.. i can convert avi video files with the software and load it onto my phone.. i can import my itunes library with kies and load what i want on my phone... it even loaded album artwork etc for almost everything...

Maybe the key was the update...I'll give it another try and see what happens.

writerman

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
I did some digging and found out that at least part of the problem is that I'm using Launcher Pro and not Touchwiz. It seems that you must be running the latter as your default or Kies won't recognize the device. Anyway, I set Touchwiz as my default and got as far as the "Connecting the device" stage, but Kies and my phone still won't hook up, it just keeps attempting with no connection. I'll keep digging.

Last edited:

cobra302

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site

the itunes library is enough for me to try it. does it do the playlists as well or just music? i am tired of waiting 4 hours for double twist to do it right. :(

lfalsetto

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Interesting

I went into the AT&T store asking about this and they said that AT&T is blocking this in the US because it will directly take away market share from the Iphone and Itunes. They were not very helpful at all!!!!

Dramer77

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
the itunes library is enough for me to try it. does it do the playlists as well or just music? i am tired of waiting 4 hours for double twist to do it right. :(

i just pulled albums i wanted from my itunes library into the music player in kies, it converted them to MP3 then ... then i hit the button at the bottom of the player to send to mobile device and it sent all the ones i selected to the phone.. most with album artwork too...

u can click the content manager and have it search for music etc and it will pull some playlists i think. but i dont think it converted the files to mp3, or i had to click something else to do that maybe.. i didnt mess with that part to much

Raven71

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Not only cant I get the side-load wonder to work but now this kies just keeps showing connecting also. Some of this is just pure crap IMHO and I am going to look at the Tourch on the 12th. At least you were able to Download what you wanted with out having to be a programmer. # am in the morn and I am still trying to get the side-load to work or this POS.
Trust me I hate RIM after going through pearls and bolds, but it is starting to look good again.

This is what I get with Side-Loader Wonder and so far no one has been able to help me. I got Debugging and stay on all the time checked. I have the .NET 4 installed. All my drivers are there and this is what I get in the command window

'loader.bat' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\amazegps>

I mean a lousy GPS which worked flawless on my Bold and Downloaded 1-2-3. Here it says if I try from the phone. That because it ain't in the Android Market it is being blocked? What a bunch of BS. Then with the GPS not working unless I use wireless. So I DL the GPS Status from the market and it works, but 15 minutes my battery is dead. These things are starting to be deal breakers for me. On top of no help from Samsung or ATT.

Time to give up and pack it in for the night or mornning at this time

Last edited:

s2h2golf

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Does Kies sync photos too? I don't buy that much music, so using the device as a drive works fine for me. I also sync my work Outlook with Gmail so contacts and calendar is updated. Syncing photos would be nice though.

hellosailor

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
Joey, did you ever post that other thread on tethering via Kies?

Does it just work, like PDANet, or does AT&T get all bent out of shape and hit you with tethering charges?

bmoliver

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
I did some digging and found out that at least part of the problem is that I'm using Launcher Pro and not Touchwiz. It seems that you must be running the latter as your default or Kies won't recognize the device. Anyway, I set Touchwiz as my default and got as far as the "Connecting the device" stage, but Kies and my phone still won't hook up, it just keeps attempting with no connection. I'll keep digging.

I wouldn't bother. I have had this issue for some time now. After an initial "clean" install of Kies it will connect the first time but then never again after that. BTW, I have the recent OTA update installed and the only Kies option now is "Kies (Firmware update)".

bmoliver

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't bother. I have had this issue for some time now. After an initial "clean" install of Kies it will connect the first time but then never again after that. BTW, I have the recent OTA update installed and the only Kies option now is "Kies (Firmware update)".

After doing some checks on different forums, I have found a method to allow for Kies connection, 1-time only.

1) unplug phone
2) open Kies and select "Driver Recovery"
3) set phone USB to the Kies option
4) plug in phone. At this point Windows (7 in this case) will reinstall the drivers (Samsung Android USB Composite Devices and Samsung Android USB Modem)
5) after completion of the driver installation, Kies will connect to the phone.

However, if you unplug the phone and then plug it back in, Kies will not connect again. I am wondering if the recent OTA firmware update has an AT&T kill option to prevent continued Kies use except for firmware updates!

bawldiggle

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
Re: Samsung Kies in Aug 2013

I have just installed KIESS on my 2012 Toshiba laptop.
Used by/for a number of new Samsung S2 4G phones. (bought in July 2013 for about half normal price)
No problems to date.

KIESS window (once KIESS is setup) opens a treat. Mostly I just want to move photographs around.
The resident minister-for-war-and-finance likes to fiddle with notifications etc until she stuffs up and gets me to unstuff her phone.​
I only use the S2 for phone calls, SMS and camera. The screen is just too small for serious surfing, so the phone does not have internet connection

I like KIESS (so far) because ...
? Send/receive SMS using the PC (other SMS apps/programs are web based) KIESS talks to my phone via WiFi or cable connection.
? Import audio files from PC to phone
? Downloading/uploading photos is just drag and drop
? I believe I can backup the phone, contacts to PC (I hope :confused: ... to be tested)

Maybe Samsung (despite their appalling support) have got there KIESS act together by now (Aug 2013)

I have found (Samsung S2) is easilly configured for USB connection to PC without the need for KIESS -- few steps, only have to set the phone for USB connection before connecting the USB cable. Which negates the need for Kiess Air on my phone. But I must have KIESS to send-receive SMS on my PC

Maybe I am lucky that hardware is not too old. (Just had to ditch a 2 year old Samsung TV because it was not smart enough.)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie