Going back to my N1

cajuncartfan

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
I bought the Captivate 2 weeks ago and I think my time with it has passed. I am going back to my N1, actually I am using it now. The Captivate is a good but buggy device and AT&T's grubby hands on it sure do ruin it. Don't get me wrong, the AC Sideload Wonder Machine is great but I am not always around my home computer to sideload a program. Also, the touchscreen, at least on mine, is very unresponsive. I have cleaned countless number of times and that does not seem to help. Another thing I don't like is how the device does not always alert you that you have received an email or show the email notification on the notification bar. I also hate not having any kind of notification light. Just my thoughts.

gspeed

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I bought the Captivate 2 weeks ago and I think my time with it has passed. I am going back to my N1, actually I am using it now. The Captivate is a good but buggy device and AT&T's grubby hands on it sure do ruin it. Don't get me wrong, the AC Sideload Wonder Machine is great but I am not always around my home computer to sideload a program. Also, the touchscreen, at least on mine, is very unresponsive. I have cleaned countless number of times and that does not seem to help. Another thing I don't like is how the device does not always alert you that you have received an email or show the email notification on the notification bar. I also hate not having any kind of notification light. Just my thoughts.

Interesting decision.

Are you aware that that Samsung's super amoled is much superior to the amoled screen of the nexus?

The Nexus one multi touch is flawed. It doesn't recognize axis crossing when using multi touch. This causes weird scenarios when using multi touch and also is bad for anyone considering gaming on their device.

Also the snapdragon processor on the Nexus has a poor GPU meaning it will not handle video or gaming very well, while the Samsung excels at this aspect.

IMHO the Samsung is the better device. Most of your concerns are software related. I'd just wait it out till someone releases a Vanilla Android rom for the Captivate.

cobra302

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
I had the nexus one for a day and sent it back. the captivate has made me drop iphone. the touchscreen on my device has been awesome, i'm actually very impressed coming from the iphone which has probably THE best. i didnt have a notification light on the iphone, so that isnt a big deal to me. and the notifications, there is a small quirk that you may or may not know about. if you receive a notification, and dont clear it, all subsuquent email etc notifications wont produce an audible sound. they are still there and in the pull down taskbar, but it wont trigger a new sound. i will agree that this is somewhat bothersome as if i happen to miss the first, i may not know that i;ve got others until i physically check the phone. besides that loving this device so far! good luck with the nexus though, it def is a great phone, i think i didnt give it enough time.

valueman

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I came from a BB 9700. The touch screen was a HUGE concern for me. Coming from a "real" keyboard, I was going to have no patience for a bad touchscreen experience. Well, the toouchscreen on my phone is awesome. After about 2 weeks, I can already type just as fast or faster than I could on BB.

Notification light - At first I really missed it. Now I don't. In fact, I feel like I have a little more control over my life now. IMO, that blinking light is a big part of the "crack" in crackberry. I would see the light flashing and feel an uncontrollable urge to grab the device. Now, I just check it when I can. :)

gspeed

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Well let me ask ya'll this. Could some of my issues be related to using a task killer?

To be honest with you I've noticed the yahoo mail app sucks on the Captivate. I tried using it but it slowed system down to a crawl. I never needed instant notification for my yahoo mail account anyways.

Also Touchwiz sucks in my opinion. Or maybe just ATT's implementation or safeguard of the system.

I find a few aspects of touchwiz to be less then ideal.

I'm pretty sure once we place vanilla roms on the Samsung devices they will really fly.

Touchwiz seems like overkill and doesn't provide much functionality outside of fb, twitter, weather and stocks. All that stuff can be delivered by a 3rd party solution.

My major beef with this device is the touchwiz and I would love to see it eliminated.

Overall I found the device very snappy though and video/gaming is second to none.

gspeed

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Well let me ask ya'll this. Could some of my issues be related to using a task killer?

to answer your question more specifically. No I don't think the task killer is the root of your system being slow. I use a task manager and the system is as fast as can be.

Raven71

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
All I know I came from a Bold and also was afraid of no real keyboard. I used the Samsung touch and started using the swype one today. All I know is this is great and I also love the voice recognition. I use it for message and emails and so far it picked up 98% of my words.
This is only my 3rd day with it, but the one thing I wish it had or can find is a app to talk and pull contacts to dial numbers for me. Maybe I have not searched enough to find one.

Duvi

Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
All I know I came from a Bold and also was afraid of no real keyboard. I used the Samsung touch and started using the swype one today. All I know is this is great and I also love the voice recognition. I use it for message and emails and so far it picked up 98% of my words.
This is only my 3rd day with it, but the one thing I wish it had or can find is a app to talk and pull contacts to dial numbers for me. Maybe I have not searched enough to find one.

Vlingo =)

Duvi

Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
I had the nexus one for a day and sent it back. the captivate has made me drop iphone. the touchscreen on my device has been awesome, i'm actually very impressed coming from the iphone which has probably THE best. i didnt have a notification light on the iphone, so that isnt a big deal to me. and the notifications, there is a small quirk that you may or may not know about. if you receive a notification, and dont clear it, all subsuquent email etc notifications wont produce an audible sound. they are still there and in the pull down taskbar, but it wont trigger a new sound. i will agree that this is somewhat bothersome as if i happen to miss the first, i may not know that i;ve got others until i physically check the phone. besides that loving this device so far! good luck with the nexus though, it def is a great phone, i think i didnt give it enough time.

What a surprise... so you're done with the iP? Lmfao.

Cool... glad you finally got an Android phone that works for you.
I know my N1 was wonky and still is with receiving email before
my iPhone and BB, but it's just so awesome, had to keep it.

cajuncartfan

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I'm giving my Captivate another shot without using ATK. So far it does seem to be working better. I really want to like this phone because it is such a high spec phone.

Majikman

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
"Another thing I don't like is how the device does not always alert you that you have received an email or show the email notification on the notification bar."
Is this maybe happening b/c you have killed your mail app with the task killer?

Also what kinds of bugs have you been experiencing? I have only seen a couple little bugs since I got my captivate, but nothing that was not remedied by either killing and restarting the app or a quick reboot.

cobra302

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
What a surprise... so you're done with the iP? Lmfao.

Cool... glad you finally got an Android phone that works for you.
I know my N1 was wonky and still is with receiving email before
my iPhone and BB, but it's just so awesome, had to keep it.

lol, you know how i do;) i gave my wife my 3gs, and now my daughter has the 3g, so i took her 9700 back. plus i used a work acct to upgrade, so i still have a personal upgrade left just in case. lol

cajuncartfan

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
Well I've tried but the Captivate is going back. I don't like the way it feels, namely it feels cheap to me compared to the N1. I do not like the fact that AT&T puts there crappy apps on there and also does not allow sideloading of apps. Come on AT&T! This is one of the reasons people choose Android over the iPhone. I don't like Touchwiz and the laggyness of the phone. I know these problems can be corrected by rooting but I don't want to do this. At least with the N1 I know that I will get updates from Google as it is there baby. I do like my wife's Aria. HTC Sense is nice but the phone is too small for me. I like the size of the N1. It is the perfect size for me. I tried but this is my personal opinion of the phone.

NeilQ

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
I really really wanted the N1 ever since it came out, but could not justify paying ~$550 (incl tax) for it. I needed AT&T to come out with a good no-keyboard android phone because we have a family plan. For me, the Captivate was my answer. Apart from the fact that the N1 is no longer manufactured and that Google offered no repair/service support, the fact that all head-to-head comparisons so far have given the overall edge to the Captivate over the N1. The N1 is now a first generation full-featured android phone and the Incredible, DroidX, Evo and the Captivate family are second generation. I don't need to be the first kid on the block with the next OS upgrade - I can wait a few extra months. It's clear to me that developers are already frantically adding functionality to the Captivate and Vibrant because this platform will be available on all carriers - N1 will not. I feel like I'm on the train I want to be on, it's leaving the platform, and the N1 is staying behind. Just my opinion, though.

objectuser

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
I say, if you want an N1 then go for it. Do what makes you happy.

But I will add ... I don't really understand why someone would give up a phone because it's lighter than another. Maybe strap some weights inside the battery compartment? Or buy the bodyglove case, which is heavy. I love that it's light, then and fast. I'll be replacing my bodyglove case for a skin.

Also, from the reports I've seen (maybe there are some I haven't) the Galaxy S line of phones appear to be the fastest phones on the market right now. So maybe it's just that TouchWiz is slow for some people? The phone doesn't lag for me unless I have a ton of stuff going on in the background. And when I notice, I selectively kill things.

cajuncartfan

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
I say, if you want an N1 then go for it. Do what makes you happy.

But I will add ... I don't really understand why someone would give up a phone because it's lighter than another. Maybe strap some weights inside the battery compartment? Or buy the bodyglove case, which is heavy. I love that it's light, then and fast. I'll be replacing my bodyglove case for a skin.

Also, from the reports I've seen (maybe there are some I haven't) the Galaxy S line of phones appear to be the fastest phones on the market right now. So maybe it's just that TouchWiz is slow for some people? The phone doesn't lag for me unless I have a ton of stuff going on in the background. And when I notice, I selectively kill things.

I already have the N1 for AT&T. I moved from it to the N1. To me the Captivate feels cheap. It does not feel good in my hand and to be honest I just don't like how AT&T is crippling their Android offerings by not allowing sideloading. I know, I know that I can enable this by rooting and using the tool by Android Central but I don't want to do that. I am not always around a pc when I want to install an app either. I really like my N1 and when I use the Captivate I always go back to it. Yes, the Captivate is the fastest Android phone on the market but still I like my N1. I also do not have faith in Samsung. The GPS issue has been around for a while now since the phone came out and still no fix. Also, no word on Froyo either. The N1 is not a bad phone and it has some longevity to it. To me it is a very stable device and knowing that I am first in line for updates is even nicer.

cajuncartfan

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
Ok. I am going to eat my words. I returned my first Captivate and after a few days I went back and bought it again. This Captivate works so much better than the first one I had. I have more apps installed on this one than the first one and I have no lag. I must have had a lemon.