Captivate loads TONS of apps on restart

browaway

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
So if I turn my Captivate off and then back on, and immediately open TaskKiller, I see probably 15 applications open. Some of them make sense like messaging, email, twitter, etc. But then others are just applications that I downloaded that have no reason to open unless I start them...games and stuff. ATT Navigator seems to think it ALWAYS needs to be open, so it starts up as well. "Clock" starts...I'll have to get a complete list later...

Is this normal? I'm sure it's sucking up all the memory and contributes to some of the lag I see. I mean really, why would it autostart like 15 applications that need to be running?

objectuser

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
I think it's a good question. I wish I knew how to change that. My suspicion is that there is not only a list of "startup items" like on OS X or Windows, but that applications also request that the operating system wake them up, either periodically or on particular events.

But it would be nice to change some of that. Rooting may be the answer I guess.

Majikman

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
But it would be nice to change some of that. Rooting may be the answer I guess.

+1

Yes, I think rooting will be the only way to edit the start up program list. Although check in the settings menu of any of the apps running, you may find a setting you can toggle to turn off launching at boot.

dmnall

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Just Root the phone, and follow the guide on how to uncripple the phone, like allowing non market apps to be installed and removal all of the useless att s/w that is not needed. It is really easy to do and can be done in under 10 - 15 minuets to root, enable non market apps and remove all the of att bloatware!

HTH,
Charlie

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
trudycharles