Receiving email compared to BB's

Griffspen

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
My company is switching to AT&T and I'm looking at either the BB Torch or the Captivate. I've been a long time BB user having had an 8330, 9630, 9550, and 9650.
My question is this: I have heard that many people who switch from BB to Android have issues receiving non-Google emails. Maybe it is just the notification system on the phone that doesn't function properly (or to the users liking or what they are used to) or maybe it is just that the emails are not delivered to the phone in a timely fashion.

What have Captivate users experienced when it comes to receiving non-Gmail email accounts. I'm namely concerned about my POP3 work account.

Thanks in advance for your help!

dchandler

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
The email on the Captivate sucks bad, I had it for 3 weeks and returned it ONLY because of the email feature. I would get the Blackberry 9800. Just my 2cents

Joeybear23

May 13, 2010
Visit site
I get Exchange emails just as fast as (and often faster than) the outlook client on my laptop.

No complaints here.

Of course I don't use Yahoo or Hotmail...

On my BB I used BIS, which really sucked for exchange because it was often 10-15 minutes late coming in and wouldn't sync correctly with the device. For example, if I had a new reply open for longer than 2 minutes, the BIS server would send the message to my inbox on the BB again... 10-15 minutes later.

It synchronized contacts and calendar items alright, but it had to be done with a USB cable and a desktop program that just sucked.

Android's app synchs contacts and calendar items over the air.

I much prefer android's free service compared to BB's free service...

Now, if your company has $16K for BES plus extra per-device licenses just to handle email for mobile phones, you may get a faster product... but I have mor eimportant things to blow company money on.

Last edited:

objectuser

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
The email on the Captivate sucks bad, I had it for 3 weeks and returned it ONLY because of the email feature. I would get the Blackberry 9800. Just my 2cents
I'm not a former BB user, so that alone may account for the difference in my opinion, but I love the email on the Captivate. I also use Gmail, so maybe that's why.

What were you missing on the Captivate that a BB gives you? I'd like to know what I'm missing. :cool:

Simba501

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
My company is switching to AT&T and I'm looking at either the BB Torch or the Captivate. I've been a long time BB user having had an 8330, 9630, 9550, and 9650.
My question is this: I have heard that many people who switch from BB to Android have issues receiving non-Google emails. Maybe it is just the notification system on the phone that doesn't function properly (or to the users liking or what they are used to) or maybe it is just that the emails are not delivered to the phone in a timely fashion.

What have Captivate users experienced when it comes to receiving non-Gmail email accounts. I'm namely concerned about my POP3 work account.

Thanks in advance for your help!

The stock email client is just plain bad. If you make the change to the Captivate, I'd recommend either forwarding all email to the gmail account you'll have to create for the device. This way you can use the stock gmail app on the Captivate which is very good and utilizes push like the BB. OR set up your gmail account to fetch your other mail accounts (accessible in the gmail settings online). In this, the gmail account will go fetch your other mail accounts and deliver it to your gmail inbox (fetches about once an hour). This will also allow you to take advantage of the stock Gmail app, which like I said, functions well. I think you'd like the Captivate, heck, everyone does. But it is a little buggy, and the GPS doesn't work. The GPS may work out of the box, but many users report it to stop working days after. While Samsung has acknowledged the problem, there's no telling when the fix/update will be available. If I were you, I'd nab the Torch if you like its form factor. A new and improved Blackberry experience, with its unrivaled email experience. Good luck with your choice.

dmnall

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site

I switched from a BB over to the Captivate and I will say, yes the push e-mail scheme for non Gmail accounts is better on BB, however, the bb had an issue with Truncated E-Mails and even the HTML was not as good compared to the Captivate. What did you not like about the e-mail scheme on the Captivate? I will agree the stock e-mail application with the captivate is not good at all, however, Maildroid is awesome and I do not have any issues with it.

I am going to go look at the torch, but sadly from all of the reviews *even the Crackberry Review* of the Torch, I am a little put off of because the size of the physical keyboard I am not a fan of. My main gripe besides the hardware issues I was having with my bold 9000, was the size of the physical keyboards on the 9700 and even from what I am seeing the 9800. I switched to the larger bold 9000 for a couple of issues, one my hand was cramped on the 8310 Curve and my Curve crapped out on me. My 9000 bold was comfortable to type on as is my Captivate. If RIM would have released a Torch style phone but in the physical size of the Bold 9000, I would have gotten that, but since they are going with this trend of making phones for people with smaller hands, I cannot deal with that. Plus from all of the reviews the Torch is still not powerful enough to deal with OS6 because of using the 2 - 3 year old 624 mhz cpu from the Bold 9000 and 9700 phones. The screen resolution should have been 480x800 for some better resolution as well as High definition video recording.

HTH,
Charlie

Joeybear23

May 13, 2010
Visit site
I switched from a BB over to the Captivate and I will say, yes the push e-mail scheme for non Gmail accounts is better on BB, however, the bb had an issue with Truncated E-Mails and even the HTML was not as good compared to the Captivate. What did you not like about the e-mail scheme on the Captivate? I will agree the stock e-mail application with the captivate is not good at all, however, Maildroid is awesome and I do not have any issues with it.

I am going to go look at the torch, but sadly from all of the reviews *even the Crackberry Review* of the Torch, I am a little put off of because the size of the physical keyboard I am not a fan of. My main gripe besides the hardware issues I was having with my bold 9000, was the size of the physical keyboards on the 9700 and even from what I am seeing the 9800. I switched to the larger bold 9000 for a couple of issues, one my hand was cramped on the 8310 Curve and my Curve crapped out on me. My 9000 bold was comfortable to type on as is my Captivate. If RIM would have released a Torch style phone but in the physical size of the Bold 9000, I would have gotten that, but since they are going with this trend of making phones for people with smaller hands, I cannot deal with that. Plus from all of the reviews the Torch is still not powerful enough to deal with OS6 because of using the 2 - 3 year old 624 mhz cpu from the Bold 9000 and 9700 phones. The screen resolution should have been 480x800 for some better resolution as well as High definition video recording.

HTH,
Charlie

That was one of the problems with the Storm. Outdated hardware with some lipstick on it to make it look new. Big disappointment.
Funny thing is, AT&T is really pushing the Torch, with the tiny keyboard, relatively slow processor and small touchscreen... RIM just thinks they can throw a turd into the market and the party faithful will gobble it up...

dmnall

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
That was one of the problems with the Storm. Outdated hardware with some lipstick on it to make it look new. Big disappointment.
Funny thing is, AT&T is really pushing the Torch, with the tiny keyboard, relatively slow processor and small touchscreen... RIM just thinks they can throw a turd into the market and the party faithful will gobble it up...

Exactly which is why I jumped over to Android because I see the potential of Android over the bb platform and even iPhone os.. Also add the fact that rim did not even put a gpu to play games on the Torch another fail in my opinion even alot of the upcoming phones including the Sony Xperia can play games, so why is RIM still thinking with their old train of thought that no one wants to play 3D games?

Cheers,
Charlie

spenserj87

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
There isn't really any issue with receiving emails promptly on the Captivate. The stock email app does that fine, but otherwise is a piece of garbage. It has completely lost my data/config a couple times. I now only use it for one exchange account and so far it hasn't dumped my data. But, it is slow to delete and use. Plus, nothing will have the flexibility and power of a BB when using BES.

I'm also using Touchdown - and I like the power and flexibility. It's also very fast.

There are many reasons why I'm happy to have switched from being a long time BB owner to a Android device. One of these days I'll get used to the touch screen.

Simba501

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site

I think RIM still thinks they have a considerably sized market that they want to appeal to. However, they are losing that market quickly to Android and you know who. My switch back to BB is temporary until the Captivate is fixed, another high end Android comes to AT&T, OR until the Xperia comes out (whichever comes first).

dmnall

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I think RIM still thinks they have a considerably sized market that they want to appeal to. However, they are losing that market quickly to Android and you know who. My switch back to BB is temporary until the Captivate is fixed, another high end Android comes to AT&T, OR until the Xperia comes out (whichever comes first).

From what I know the Xperia comes out on Sunday. It is cheaper then the Captivate but I don't think it will be a big threat to the Captivate because the Xperia lacks Multi-touch and if the rumor is true, will be running 1.6 versus 2.1 .. Same thing with the Dell Streak, kind of sad though, to run such powerful devices on such old software.

Cheers,
Charlie

Terrigno

Italiano Papi
Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
The push email on BB was the bomb. I had BBs for the past 3 years. And the expierence with the email on the Captivate is actually not that bad off. I probably get the email just about as fast as my BB did. I dont get to much email, so I wont complain. The only main thing that I miss is BBM. All my Buddies had BBM. I hope they would make an application that allows BBM contacts to chat with Android people. Like a chat app that allows you to add BBM contacts and they just talk through there normal BBM program. Im not sure if thats gonna work though.

alphadog

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Make sure your company supports EAS - Exchange Active Sync - many BB shops, only allow BB to connect to BES.

You will lose PIN messaging, as well as a hard keyboard. Also, BB has lots more config options in email - like saving email to a local phone folder. Exchange syncs by date, so if it is older then your sync date, it will be gone from the phone, but still in Outlook. Right now GAL lookup only returns email address, and not phone numbers. Calendar events do not allow clicking on phone numbers or URLs.

I am hopeful these things will be fixed in an update or 2.2 which is not far off.

You will get a better quality phone, more customization and better media management then BB ever had.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rockpaperreality36