Duplicate Contacts in "Not Assigned" group
07-11-2013 02:42 PM
- I am having such a problem with contacts. I synced my gmail contacts, but this only added them to a gmail list, and I couldn't get Groups to import. So, I exported to sd card, imported to phone. Now I have a faux group called Not Assigned which are a copy of my Google contacts. Not Assigned shows up in the Groups tab, but I can't delete or edit it. If I delete a contact, it deletes from both lists. Getting even more OCD, I tried import again and now have a doubles in Not Assigned (adding up to triple contacts). This is frustrating. I just wanted my groups. I should only have 200+ contacts, not 600+. If I hide Sim in Display Options, all 600+ are still there. Please tell me how to get rid of the duplicates. I tried removing the account completely, but I get an error that I must do a Factory Default. Fail.08-11-2010 03:14 PM
- instead of factory reset I would create a new gmail account. Add that account and remove your old account temporarily.
check to see which contacts are still on the device or on the sim card.
I would then re add the old gmail account and remove the created dummy one.
Let gmail attempt to pull in your contacts again from the start.08-11-2010 04:53 PM
- Excellent idea. Didn't work, dang it. I added a fresh account, synced the contacts. Tried to delete the original account and still get the error, "This account is required by some applications. You can only remove it by resetting the phone to factory defaults, etc."
It did allow me to remove the new account. Also, I'm not sure this would remove the Not Assigned contacts. They appear separate from the gmail/google account. When I go into one of the duplicate contacts, listed under Linked Contacts, there are three icons, one g for gmail and two handsets for the Phone.08-11-2010 07:06 PM
- 08-12-2010 08:53 AM
I still don't have editable Groups, but at least I know a work around to delete most of the Not Assigned.08-12-2010 09:14 AM
- Ive got the answer to your question.. From your home screen select "dialer" (As if you wanted to make a call) then go to contacts on the top right corner. When it shows all of your numbers, select menue>display options> and make sure the green check box is selected on "only contacts with phones" That will hide all the random email addresses etc. so that only numbers show up.. THEN under "choose contacts to display" If you green check "Google" only. Thats all you will see and the "not assigned" contacts and all other junk will disappear leaving only "Google contacts" From there you can play around with what you want to appear or not till your happy with it. NOTE: you may have to update your google contacts as some names may have been saved to your phone or sim as apposed to your google contacts so they may not show up. From now on save all contacts to google and your good! Hope this helps. As for the groups fix.. please add me on
F a c e b o o k . c o m/anwaarhimself as im always posting!
Good Luck!08-24-2010 10:38 AM
- I'm having issues with the Address book as well. I find it annoying that I can have my Google contacts in there, but I can't assign them to groups. I've tried exporting them then re-importing them to the "phone" address book but I get a parse error. I then tried exporting them from contacts via gmail web site, but of course Sync with ATT address book is down.
Anybody else have any other ideas?08-29-2010 03:23 PM
- i have the same problem! i have been to the verizon store 7 times not trying to get this fixed i have 5 duplicates of every person in my contact list and gave it 1 more try today but the verizon person once again had no solution! so my solution is i am taking back the samsung fascinate and getting a droid x on that phone when you make a contact it puts it to both the phone contact list and the google contact list not 1 or the other which is how this whole mess started in the first place. im glad i discovered this problem in the first 2 weeks so im under my 30 day mark and still have the option to switch phones with no charge..... well other then the 35 dollar restocking fee which i dont think i should have to pay since the phone wont do what i want it to do in the first place! and the verizon reps have no clue, guess they never thought to train there people on the phones they are trying to sell guess that makes to much sense! what was i thinking? but i will probably wait till after this weekend so if anyone does know a soulution id be happy to hear it, even though i think the droid x is probably a better phone over the samsung fascination anyway.... any opinions on which phone i should get or just keep the fascination im totally new to smartphones and feel kinda clueless to be honest so any help would be much appreciated09-24-2010 12:57 AM
- I have a problem with groups as well (I know this thread is old, but my problem is new). I have hundreds on contacts listed ONLY in the GROUPS tab under Not Assigned. They all have a G beside them, so they must have been downloaded from a gmail account at some point, but they are, as I said, not in my CONTACT list. There are only a few listed in my regular CONTACT list, but I have found no way to delete them from GROUPS other than one by one.11-19-2012 02:54 PM
- Samsung Android Phones
- More Samsung Phones
- Samsung Galaxy S
- AT&T Captivate
Duplicate Contacts in "Not Assigned" group
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD