1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Samsung Captivate TwLauncher not respoinding

I had my Captivate for about 3 weeks and I started getting "Application TwLauncher is not responding." When I get this notice it freeze the phone. Samsung Tech Support recommend Hard Reset, which I Accomplished numerous times but did not clear the problem. I returned the phone today and got another one. The newone is having the same problem on the first day! Help!

Are you doing anything unusual- running a task killer, manually stopping services etc? Two phones exhibiting the same behaviour seems a little odd.

AoN

is the phone rooted/ It seems that people who have rooted their phones are seeing some quirky behaviors
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

I did not run a task killer on the new phone I did not install any apps to make sure the apps wasn't the problems. I talked to Samsung Tech Support today and they suspect Gmail Contacts that do not have correct birth date information is causing the problems. I Hard reset the phone and did not activate Gmail and the phone worked as normal for 4 hours. I activated Gmail and after Gmail sync the phone started to freeze again. I am going to delete all the contacts in Gmail and factory reset the phone to see what effect his will have on the phone .

Global Posts
    151 Global Posts
    ROM
    Cognition 4.5.3

Incorrect birthdate is freezing a phone up? That sounds pretty strange.

What's an incorrect birth date? In Gmail it's either there or its not, and if it's there then you put it there.
    Samsung Captivate (Stock)

Same question wrong birthday? mm/dd/yy or do you have it another way on some names. Or has google got so into our lives they know the correct birthday of your contacts. Like to know what the guy was smoking that told you that. Still if you turn google off and you don't have a problem then there is a problem.
    Never forget my Brothers and Sisters that gave their lives on 09-11-01. FDNY/EMS, NYPD, PAPD and the Pentagon. Also those who are still dying to this day.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

I have worked with this problem all weekend. The TwLauncher error only shows up when I am synced with Google. I'm not sure what is causing this but I did delete all contacts and the Twlauncher error occurs when the phone sycnc with google. I have tried Pro Luancher and ADW Launcher and do not get the error but after a period of hours the battery drains and get hot. Does anyone have this problem?

Global Posts
    643 Global Posts
    ROM
    Latest AOKP!

Have you tried syncing the Phone once to Gmail and then Turn off the Auto Sync?? I have my phone autosyncing but no problems with twlauncher error.. My phone is rooted and I use Advanced Task killer but I have it set to manually stop processes. No problems with my phone at all. I also got rid of all of the att bloatware which helped the phone out.. Did you try flashing the latest firmware?

Cheers,
    Charlie
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Today I did a hard rest first, created a new mail account with two contacts, and sync the phone. All apps was download with no problems. I have not received the TwLauncher not responding error since 3:00 pm today. I kept the sync on to ensure as normal mode as possible. I will see tomorrow if everything stays the same. Thanks for all of the suggestions.

I'm having the same problem. Whats the process to fix it? Is it an issue with syncing Gmail? I also get an error message when trying to use other apps like Maps and Messaging.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

It has been 24 hours since I tried the procedure in my previous email and no TwLauncher not responding error message. Here are the steps I took to fix my problem (phone freezing after syncing with google mail and TwLauncher error message):

Hard Reset - Hold down Volume down button and power button at the same time for at least 15 seconds (arrrow down to approiate response)
    Reboot phone
    Establish new Google Mail account (suggest leave contacts blank for now)
    Use phone normally for about an hour to ensure you do not get the TwLauncher not responding error message.
    Launch App Market and down load apps of your choice.

Default TwLauncher freeze

I am having the same issues. Got a brand new Captivate last week, the only thing done to it aside from activation was adding an Exchange email account. No apps added, no rooting, no app killer, not even a phone call or text aside from one to test the activation. Constant freeze ups. AT&T suggested I swap out for a new phone as it must be a flaw.

Got the new phone today, added the email account, same problem. You have got to be kidding me Android! I can't even make a phone call it locks up so fast.

I thought it might be a problem with the Exchange (corporate account) but it sounds like people are having the same issue with Gmail.

Two brand new phones, same problem. This is ridiculous!

I am not sure I follow the fix procedures here. Anyone having success in addressing this issue? Thanks.

Default Same problem here with TWLauncer error

I don't have any contacts in my gmail/google account because I don't use it. I only registered for the account to activate the phone. Mine is a US Cellular Mesmerize which is a Samsung Galaxy S phone just called something different. I got my phone back in December and didn't have this problem until I got the Android upgrade to 2.2.1 (Gingerbread I think?). I do have an Excange account but I've had it since I got the phone and never had a problem until I upgraded the OS.

Global Posts
    1,596 Global Posts
    ROM
    Teamhacksung's ICS

Quote Originally Posted by spray76 View Post
    I don't have any contacts in my gmail/google account because I don't use it. I only registered for the account to activate the phone. Mine is a US Cellular Mesmerize which is a Samsung Galaxy S phone just called something different. I got my phone back in December and didn't have this problem until I got the Android upgrade to 2.2.1 (Gingerbread I think?). I do have an Excange account but I've had it since I got the phone and never had a problem until I upgraded the OS.
    Go into application settings and clear data on twlauncher. Also unsync your Google account. Last resort, do a factory reset.

Default Re: Samsung Captivate TwLauncher not respoinding

Here's what happened to me. Phone was working fine since January. Now, yesterday, I played around with it. It was rooted, and I installed Android Overclock widget. But, I didn't remember that I had another oc widget running. I also didn't know that you can't oc the origional rom that comes with captivate.

So now, I can't do anything with the phone. I constantly get the twlauncher error at all times and I have a bllack screen and NO icons to do anything.

I have tried the reset procedure, deleting all of my data, rebooting, etc. All to no avail.

How do I get my phone up and running again. This is URGENT! I really need the phone, especially on weekends to call my kids. What do I have to do to fix it? I will probably try anything..

Please help...

Viper

I think you are going to have to recover using Download mode and flashing a ROM with it. This will be a WIPE situation.

The question then is, what do you want for an end product? Stock 2.1, or do you want to upgrade to 2.3 while you are at it? I can help point you in the right direction depending on what you want.

Either way, you will need this thread as a reference-
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/t-c...ly-memory.html

ROM
    Teamhacksungs ICS port

I think the best thing for the ones who stated that they have rooted their phone should really look into installing Clockworkmod Recovery. This way you can make a backup of you phone when everything is running just fine and then if you make a mistake ie install something that makes it crap out, you can restore back to your last backup and that takes care of the problem. But if you went this route, I would suggest just installing a custom ROM on your phone because then you won't have to worry about any glitches that the stock ROM may have

I am guessing something like a store visit was done, but I would have gone here-

Grabbed the KH3 WITH bootloaders and CWM injected kernel. Flash that in Download mode, and then proceed to flash Pinnacle here from CWM-

That, or the JF6 WITHOUT bootloaders, and start with stock and go how you want from there.

Quote Originally Posted by demp_D-1417 View Post
    I have worked with this problem all weekend. The TwLauncher error only shows up when I am synced with Google. I'm not sure what is causing this but I did delete all contacts and the Twlauncher error occurs when the phone sycnc with google. I have tried Pro Luancher and ADW Launcher and do not get the error but after a period of hours the battery drains and get hot. Does anyone have this problem?

Yes. First I was having trouble with Error 128, now I'm also having trouble with TwLauncher, phone freezes, runs so slowly I just turn it off. I used to love my Epic 4G, now I hate it. Waiting for contract to end. I took my phone to the Sprint store and they did a hard reset. My phone still sucks. They said no problem found. I am so not happy.