Random shutdowns

Archaeon#AC

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I searched the forums with several different keywords to try to find similar threads about random shutdowns on Galaxy S phones, but I didn't find any, so I'm starting my own. I've noticed over the past couple weeks since I bought my Captivate that it will randomly shut down. Most often, it happens during the night, usually while it's charging or just after it reaches a full charge. This morning I noticed it had a pull charge so I unplugged the wall charger and went to take a shower. By the time I got out 15-20 minutes later, my phone had shut itself down. A few hours later at work this morning, it shut itself down again. It's been doing this for several days.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? Like I said, I didn't see the issue reporting here on the AC forums, but I found several other threads at AndroidForums (Phone Shutting off Randomly?), at the XDA-Developer forums (Captivate Random Shuts Down), and at AT&T's own forum (Captivate Random Shut Downs). It seems that most people are mentioning the same circumstances where the phone shuts down soon after charging.

I am running Advanced Task Manager Free, but I'm not using any Autokill features. I'm not running SetCPU, as some others in those linked threads mention. Some said they had success with the issue by running SetCPU and increasing the minimum CPU frequency during sleep, but just as many others said that didn't help. It also seems that the random shutdowns are happening even to users with fresh new phones with very few apps installed and no task killers, so it doesn't seem to be entirely related to task killers.

How many of you are seeing this issue? My intention was not to duplicate other threads, but just to spread the word and see if the AC community had any ideas or solutions. Hopefully, maybe the AC news crew will pick up this topic and do some investigation with their contacts. I've tried to investigate Samsung's response to the issue, but so far, they haven't mentioned anything. All their replies seem to mention something off-topic about battery usage instead of addressing the shutdown issue.

If you are seeing this issue, could you share the circumstances and whether or not you're running task killers or SetCPU, and how new/old your phone is? I've heard this issue may extend to the Vibrant as well, so it's possible that it affects all Galaxy S phones. If we can accumulate details and investigate the issue, maybe we can keep Samsung accountable and get an OTA update or something to fix it. Thanks for the help!

CaCHooKaMan

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
My phone's shut off a few times by itself. It's only happened when I don't turn the screen on before I unplug it from the USB. I was using setcpu and I had it set to 400/200 mhz while the screen was off so I raised that a bit and it hasn't happened since.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

dakine#AC

Aug 14, 2010
Visit site
I have also noted my phone has shut down quite a few times during the day. I am at work and when I go to check my phone it is off. I am using Advanced Task Killer, but what is strange is that one day it will go off 2-3 times and the next day not at all. So I am completely confused to what is causing it. Any ideas?

Archaeon#AC

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Well, I've gone 3 days so far without another crash. I went into Settings->Sound and Display and disabled Power Saving Mode. I had seen this suggestion on some of the other threads, but I had also seen replies stating that people tried this and it didn't work. I'll update again if I notice another random shutdown.

dmnall

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Well my phone actually never shutdown but it did a reboot 2x since I got it, kind of freaked out, but has never shutdown once at all. Sometimes it lags coming out of sleep but still no issues and a little app lag.. Otherwise my phone is perfect.

HTH,
Charlie

Mikecdm

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
I've had my phone shutdown three times on me now. The first time that I noticed it was when I woke up, with the phone still connected to the charger. After restarting it, I went to do some yard work and when I came back it was off.

Today, I've had the phone sitting on my desk most of the day. It hasn't been connected to the charger, but after hours of non-use, it was off.

I don't have any task killers or setcpu installed. I really haven't done much with the phone yet.

writerman

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
I've had my Captivate for 3 weeks now and it shut down on its own twice yesterday. Not running any task killer/manager. Am seriously considering an exchange for another Captivate before I reach day 30.

Raven71

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
Well mine just shutdown I guess. I was on this site all of a sudden screen went black. Then a big battery shows on the screen. Then it shut off and I had to turn it back on. My battery its fully charged. Advance task killer is set the way it has been since I installed it. No new programs have been added to the phone. I am coming on three weeks having the phone also.

writerman

Jul 26, 2010
Visit site
Mine shutdown twice more yesterday and so far this morning has shutdown twice in the last hour. Definitely exchanging for a new one today.

Max69

Aug 9, 2010
Visit site
My first phone started shutting down 2 - 3 times a day about 2 1/2 weeks after I got it. My son, who got his the same day, hasn't had it happen at all. I returned mine for a new one (no hassles at all), and the new phone hasn't shut down on its own yet.

thomasp94

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Mine has only shut down once over night, it wasn't plugged in but when I turned it on the battery wasn't dead. Had mine since about 3 days after the release. I'm not using any of the apps mentioned in this thread so far.

fadetoblack2104

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
My phone has been running great and all the sudden it's shut itself down 4 times today. Kinda pissing me off since I haven't done anything new with it lately. Really hoping someone finds out what the problem is.

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
I just tried switching apps via the last 6 app window (long press home button) and it hung. then the screen went black but the 4 touch buttons stayed lit up. then it started booting up again

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
nope nothing new on the phone
i'm looking at returning or selling and switching to aria
i'll take a less superior hardware for better software and HTC backing it up

kilted thrower

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
Over at the Xda forums they're saying it's a guts issue. Some phones are having problems and some aren't. And some are exchanging them and not having issues anymore and some do have issues. Through the thread they've ruled out it not being apps, battery, launchers, etc. So basically it's come down to being a hardware issue and it will only get worse.

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
I switched to the aria but i'im a little annoyed that the update available isn't ota. you have to push thru usb. and it does a complete factory reset of the phone. which is lame. is froyo ota and does it reset your phone

datastar

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Mine has shut down several times over last couple of weeks. Had if for almost two months. Mostly shut down at night on charger. Today phone was not moved for three hours and had shut down with 42% battery left. I am running Advanced Task Killer but don't think it is the problem. After update was install, all apps had to be re-installed. The phone shut down before I re-installed ATK.

Devin Nagel

Oct 3, 2010
Visit site
I searched the forums with several different keywords to try to find similar threads about random shutdowns on Galaxy S phones, but I didn't find any, so I'm starting my own. I've noticed over the past couple weeks since I bought my Captivate that it will randomly shut down. Most often, it happens during the night, usually while it's charging or just after it reaches a full charge. This morning I noticed it had a pull charge so I unplugged the wall charger and went to take a shower. By the time I got out 15-20 minutes later, my phone had shut itself down. A few hours later at work this morning, it shut itself down again. It's been doing this for several days.

Has anyone else experienced this issue? Like I said, I didn't see the issue reporting here on the AC forums, but I found several other threads at AndroidForums (Phone Shutting off Randomly?), at the XDA-Developer forums (Captivate Random Shuts Down), and at AT&T's own forum (Captivate Random Shut Downs). It seems that most people are mentioning the same circumstances where the phone shuts down soon after charging.

I am running Advanced Task Manager Free, but I'm not using any Autokill features. I'm not running SetCPU, as some others in those linked threads mention. Some said they had success with the issue by running SetCPU and increasing the minimum CPU frequency during sleep, but just as many others said that didn't help. It also seems that the random shutdowns are happening even to users with fresh new phones with very few apps installed and no task killers, so it doesn't seem to be entirely related to task killers.

How many of you are seeing this issue? My intention was not to duplicate other threads, but just to spread the word and see if the AC community had any ideas or solutions. Hopefully, maybe the AC news crew will pick up this topic and do some investigation with their contacts. I've tried to investigate Samsung's response to the issue, but so far, they haven't mentioned anything. All their replies seem to mention something off-topic about battery usage instead of addressing the shutdown issue.

If you are seeing this issue, could you share the circumstances and whether or not you're running task killers or SetCPU, and how new/old your phone is? I've heard this issue may extend to the Vibrant as well, so it's possible that it affects all Galaxy S phones. If we can accumulate details and investigate the issue, maybe we can keep Samsung accountable and get an OTA update or something to fix it. Thanks for the help!
I am having the same problem and it seems to be increasing... I need to turn the phone on at least twice every day if not more... lately it has been at least 3 times in the morning after it has a full charge... I took my first one back because it locked up.... and now this... should I mention I am thinking of going to the iphone....?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae