1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default No e-mail sync or notifications

I have two non-gmail accounts set up on my cappy and neither one will work like they're supposed to. The only way to get my mail is to manually go into the mail app and individually go to the inboxes then they will scan and find my e-mails. It is set up to check every five minutes....any ideas? Same thing also happens with the facebook app (i've heard it sucks anyway) where I get no notifications.

Quote Originally Posted by T4RBoarder View Post
    I have two non-gmail accounts set up on my cappy and neither one will work like they're supposed to. The only way to get my mail is to manually go into the mail app and individually go to the inboxes then they will scan and find my e-mails. It is set up to check every five minutes....any ideas? Same thing also happens with the facebook app (i've heard it sucks anyway) where I get no notifications.
    Yeah, the email on the Captivate sucks. I had the exact same problem. Here's what I did....

*Set up your Gmail account to fetch mail from your other accounts (accessible in the Gmail settings online)

*You set it up exactly the way you would if it was a mail client (pop settings).

*Gmail then fetches mail (about every hour, varies a little bit, but never longer intervals than hourly)

*Set up your gmail account to sync gmail on your captivate (settings, accounts & sync, gmail, sync gmail).

*Every email fetched will show which email address it came from.

This method works well, because the Gmail app is very fluid and it utilizes push. As soon as mail is fetched and is present in your Gmail inbox, it will appear on your phone in probably less than a minute.

I am not sure why you are having those problems. I don't like the email app, but it does work for me. I have Gmail Sync, Exchange Sync, and POP Fetch all working fine and alerting me to new emails.

Global Posts
    643 Global Posts
    ROM
    Latest AOKP!

Default Re: No e-mail sync or notifications

Well my recommendation is to switch over to maildroid and do not use the stock Samsung email client! There were a couple of issues I had with the stock email app! One was the negative number on pop accounts and the headers were not right because the only email clients that ignore the mime header is Thunderbird and outlook but eudora and Mac mail would display gibberish! Maildroid fixed those issues!

Hth,
    Charlie

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk
    Samsung Captivate - RIP 10-6-2011 Currently: Samsung Galaxy S2 i777 - Rooted, Sim Unlocked and soon to be debloated
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by alphadog View Post
    I am not sure why you are having those problems. I don't like the email app, but it does work for me. I have Gmail Sync, Exchange Sync, and POP Fetch all working fine and alerting me to new emails.
    This is what I am wondering, I got everything to work when I forwarded everything to gmail (pain in the **** btw) but even if the mail app does suck it should at least work marginally. I am still within my 30 days and wondering if I should swap it.

If you are trying to retrieve pop email, you may have to change the port number to something other than the default (I think it's 25). For my host at hostgator - they also have port 26 for email. Once I changed the port, it worked fine.

The hostgator help section says that some wireless companies (att in my case) don't allow pop through port 25.

Hope that helps.

Global Posts
    643 Global Posts
    ROM
    Latest AOKP!

Quote Originally Posted by rob6188 View Post
    If you are trying to retrieve pop email, you may have to change the port number to something other than the default (I think it's 25). For my host at hostgator - they also have port 26 for email. Once I changed the port, it worked fine.

The hostgator help section says that some wireless companies (att in my case) don't allow pop through port 25.

Hope that helps.
    Port 25 is to send mail. Traditionally Port 110 is the Pop Port..

HTH,
    Charlie

Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    ROM
    2.3.4 / Stock

ATT doesn't play well with port 25 when sending emails. You can change it to 2525 and it normally works.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Tried to change the port but would not let any more than two numbers. I actually am trying to use these accounts as IMAP as opposed to POP. Now have a single, different, e-mail account in the mail app and no difference no matter what I fix. Any fix for the lack of facebook notifications as well? Would you guys swap it or is the other one gonna be the same as well?