Stock vs. Rooted+Lagfixed Captivate - Lag differences [Video]

aaronwe

Mar 23, 2010
Visit site
+1 on the request for a newb-friendly step-by-step on this.

I see that an EXT2 fix is already on the Market, but I do see the appeal of using EXT4.

I haven't had a great reason to root my Captivate yet (and I hoped the Froyo upgrade would come sooner rather than later), but after seeing all the responses on the lagfix, I think it's time.

nyeark

Aug 1, 2010
Visit site
http://forum.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?p=299891#post299891

^^ Enjoy!

I just updated it a tad since SuperRooter got updated to include the overclocking kernel. And yes I made a nandroid backup via ROM manager before proceeding (this is also covered in my guide), thankfully I haven't needed it though.

For anyone not convinced this will help, the best example I've found is the 'Craigsnotifica' app. It's great, but before this fix lagged soooo bad. Now there's no lag *at all*; I'm amazed (and happy as a clam) at the difference :D

JackImageX

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I rooted/lag-fixed my phone last night and the results make it well worth it. It's like a new phone. I sat and played with the phone for an hour without any frustration. The base mail app hits Exchange with no lag. Gmail works perfectly. The Facebook app, which always had the worst lag, works like a charm now.

To do this, there is a tool in the market called "One Click Lag Fix" that is easy, requires little technical knowledge and works like a charm. It's also easy to roll off the phone in case you want to (both the EXT2 fix and the Root can be rolled off with the app). I had problems with the 1.4 version but the 1.5 version did work. If you are not familiar with how to upgrade your phone/download zip files to the phone/don't have time to do all of this, you might want to get this app.

(if this should be in some other thread, please let me know and I'll move it).

Here are the steps:
1. Download the app and install via the Market or AppBrain.
2. Open the app
3. Choose "Root Device 2.1"
(the app will copy a file to the root of your SD card for you and will tell you that you need to reboot with the right key sequence).
4. Hold down the Up Volume + Down Volume + power button. The phone will reboot into "Recovery mode" - let go of those buttons as soon as you see "Recovery Mode."
5. (and this is where it's not too clear) choose to "reinstall packages." This will install the Root update on your phone.
6. The phone will reboot once it's done (if it doens't, reboot the phone yourself)
7. The phone should boot normally. Let it finish booting.
8. Re-open the "One Click Lag Fix" app again.
9. Choose "Install EXT2 tools" Let it complete.
10. Choose "OneClickLagFix v1 +" Be patient and let the fix install.
11. Your phone will reboot when it's done (if it doesn't prompt you to do it, do it yourself).
12. (IMPORTANT) the phone will show the AT&T boot screen and then will go black. Sounds will play but the screen will stay black. BE PATIENT. Don't think you bricked your phone - it's just taking a really long time to boot up completely (yes, like 1 to 2 minutes).
13. Once the phone boots up, enjoy the lag-free experience that is the Samsung Galaxy S Captivate with no slowdowns!

I hope this helps other people. I was intimidated by rooting but once I saw how simple it was and took the plunge, I was very happy with the results.

Last edited:

s2h2golf

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
I rooted/lag-fixed my phone last night and the results make it well worth it. It's like a new phone.

I did this yesterday morning too and was very pleased with the results. And yes, I almost had a heart attack when the screen went black and nothing happened for a minute or two...

ComanderTaco

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
First post

Hello this is my first post with the forum and when i stumbled onto this thread i figured i would share my results with this fix. I broke down last week and decided to go ahead with the mods as i grew more and more irritated with the lagging phone coupled with the gps issue. Granted the gps still cant figure out were the hell it is in the world but the performance gains from the mods discussed in this thread made this phone run like a scaulded dog. The changes listed below yielded a quadrant score of 2276 (see screenshot below)

Just a warning to some of you that are reading these posts and hearing everyone say how its fairly easy. If you are not 100 % comfortable with the idea of possibly bricking your phone and feel that you are capable of fixing it and or buying a new one, DONT MESS WITH THIS STUFF. I know these kind of warning have been posted before but i spent a few hours last night getting a buddies phone back to normal because he tried to do this stuff and got his phone stuck in a reboot loop because he didnt follow directions and did god only knows what. MOD @ YOUR OWN RISK . with that being said this fix makes this phone SAAAWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!!!!

*Rooted Phone
*Removed ATT/Samsung bloatware
*Applied ext 2 (probably changing to ext 4 this weekend)
*Applied "Optimal" preset using "Autokiller" app (tweeked settings to autokill any empty apps)(Also not sure if this is actually helping now but it helped when i was only rooted with no lag fix)

Im also waiting till i have some free time to test out the 1.2 ghz overclock mod and ill update my post when and if i do that. Heres the Quadrant screenshot as the phone is now with ALOT of apps running , launcher pro , all custom icons, a bunch of widgets and a live walpaper running.( I havnt tried running it with all these things off. Wonder if it makes a difference?)I added screenshots of the widgets and homescreens im running i left out the facebook widget (pure messanger) since it has my friends pics and names in it and i dont care to ask for there permissin to post it.

View attachment 2883

View attachment 2884

View attachment 2885

View attachment 2886

View attachment 2887

ComanderTaco

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
No I downloaded them from a developer at another forum. Ill try and find the link if your interested. I only have the ones that were relivant to me but your welcome to the ones I have. Let me know.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

s2h2golf

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
No I downloaded them from a developer at another forum. Ill try and find the link if your interested. I only have the ones that were relivant to me but your welcome to the ones I have. Let me know.

Thanks, I found them.

ComanderTaco

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
Nice actually I tried to find them again but cant find the damn things can you post the link or pm me if possible. A lot of people ask were to get them and I never have an answer. They are deff pretty cool.

goojman

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
does anyone know if doing the lagfix on a captivate, will I still be able to download the OTA froyo update when it eventually comes out in september??

WwonderLlama

May 25, 2010
Visit site
does anyone know if doing the lagfix on a captivate, will I still be able to download the OTA froyo update when it eventually comes out in september??

I don't know whether or not the upgrade will be affected by the lagfix.

However, the method I used has a 1-click option to revert the phone back to stock. Also, the rooter I used has an 'Unroot' option. I'll be making use of both of these prior to updating to Froyo, just to be on the safe side.

You'll need to check the method you use to see if there's a way to revert.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital