Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Notification Tweaks

So I am into my Captivate for a few days now. Love it. Slim, fast (but not SlimFast) and over all, pretty nifty.

One thing that is bugging me is notifications. After looking on the forums, I was informed as to how to make them different for each application, etc. Awesome! However, I want more! (dont' we all). On my WinMo6.1 phone, I could have pretty much whatever sounds I wanted for text messages, email, etc. It required a little tweaking to put the files where they needed to be but it worked.

On the Captivate, I loaded my favorite arcade sound effects onto the SD card and they were picked up nicely for incoming call options. However, for everything else, I am stuck with the default tones.

The question is: How do I get these into the availability list for the rest of the apps? Do I put them in a folder some where in the phones install dir? Or is there a config file I can tweak somewhere that will make it look in a new place? Thinking back on the WinMo6.1 days, there were even xml files that could be tweaked for certain phone functions, etc. Is there a droid equivelant?

Thanks!
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    638 Global Posts

I put all my notifications in sdcard/media/audio/notifications

Then they're accessible through messaging apps, email apps, etc so each app can make a different notification sound

(however, keep in mind I have a G1)

Global Posts
    13 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by cr3amy View Post
    I put all my notifications in sdcard/media/audio/notifications

Then they're accessible through messaging apps, email apps, etc so each app can make a different notification sound

(however, keep in mind I have a G1)
    Ditto for this method on my Captivate

Global Posts
    638 Global Posts

Well, hope it helps
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Thanks for the help guys
    However, it doesn't seem to be working. I have an SD folder on my built in card, but no SDcard folder. The SD folder is empty. I created the path and copied some files but the didn't show up. I also created an SDcard folder and moved things in but had the same result.

The phone has not been rooted yet. Still connected to the PC in mas storage mode. Have not rebooted the phone.

Ooops. Nevermind. Pulled it out of mass storage mode and it rescanned the card. Thanks!
    Last edited by TheBronze; 08-27-2010 at 10:12 AM.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

OK, more wierdness. At first everything showed up. then when I tried to play some tones, a few would go, then the phone stopped playing them and it threw an error (dont recall what it was). After fiddling with the USB settings it still wouldn't go. So I moved the media to the original SD folder and it picked them up again. However, it wouldn't play any of the tones. Exiting the notifications settings and then going back in shows only the default sounds and the custom ones are gone?