Blackberry user to first time android

kennyyboy

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I will be purchasing the Samsung Captivate tmrw from the AT&T store after work. Planning to pay $379 for the no commitment since I'm not eligible for an upgrade right now. This will be my very FIRST Android phone. I have no experience what so ever.

With that being said, I'm a big Blackberry user, and will be coming from the Blackberry Bold 9000. Is anyone here also an ex-blackberry user? How will the transition be? anything I'll be missing from the bb that wont be on the captivate? I love my blackberry, its a great phone, it does what I need with emails in a heart beat. It's just lacking a lot in multimedia and web browsing, and I'm sure I'm probably missing out on a lot of other cool stuff too especially since I'm paying $30 a month for data plan.

Emails & Calendars are very important for me. How will the push email be on the Captivate / Android? I handle 4 email accounts with a mix of Gmail and non gmail. As far as calendars go, I have really bad memory so all my dates and important daily task needs to be in my phone.

My brother has an iphone 4, it seems great and all, but not to offend anyone, the OS seems kinda "dumbed down" for kids. It seems to lack a lot of options and customization compared to all the options and choices I had on my blackberry. I've read a lot about how the android lets you customize a lot, so hopefully I'll be going in the right path.

If anyone has some input please let me know! I'm excited to join the Android family!

valueman

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I also migrated to the Captivate after a Blackberry Curve, a Bold 9000 and a Bold 9700.

My biggest concern was the keyboard. I use (more accurately USED) my device primarily for keeping up with company email as I traveled. I was afraid that it would be hard for a touchscreen keybord to supplant that great physical keyboard on the Bold. My worries were totally unfounded. I can already type faster on the Captivate than I could on the Bold.

The Calender, just keep your stuff on Google Calender (or sych your outlook calender with Google Calender) and it works like a charm.

Email is good on the Captivate. The only thing I miss is the way messages would appear instantly on the screen as soon as a clicked on a message on my 9700. With the Captivate there is a pause bewteen touching open and actually seeing the message. At first it annoyed me a lot, but no longer. As for pushing the mail, not an issue.

I almost never used the BB broweser because it just sucked so bad. Now I constantly use my browser. My device useage has really transformed with the Captivate - I am doing so much more than mail and calender. I use the Navigation on it, the star chart, etc. etc.

It took me about 2 weeks to really get comfortable. I listed my 9700 on ebay this morning, and when I picked it up to wipe the memory, it felt totally foreign in my hand. I guess that means I have been fully assimilated now :)

spenserj87

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I too am a long time blackberry user, most recently a curve 8900. Overall, the transition to Android is worth it - far more applications, bigger screen, etc.

I used BES and BIS on my blackberry and email was just simply superior on the blackberry. It was quick, efficient, easy to file to exchange folders, easy to search, filter, etc. The native email app on the Captivate is just atrocious - anyone who tells you different hasn't used a blackberry. It is slow. Slow in opening emails, slow in doing multiple deletes, slow in filing. But worse, I've twice completely lost all email and settings - I open the email app and I get the account setup screen. I also hate that if I'm entering an email address in the "To:" field in landscape orientation, it doesn't show/fill in the address from my address book - does it fine in portrait mode. Also, I've had two instances where I've sent emails and the receiver got gibberish. I used to have three accounts set up on the native email app, now I only have one exchange account and it hasn't lost my info in a while. I still use it because I wanted to really test it. I have no complaints about push using activesync.

I have added K-9 (a free email app) and it works well, although not the best looking app. But, way better than the native app - doesn't have some exchange features. So, for my main exchange account, I use Touchdown and it works very well.

I haven't fully adjusted to a touch keyboard - I know it will get better, but I was lightning fast on the 8900. I really like the SwiftKeys keyboard, especially since they have a voice input button now. I still have to watch the "predicted" words as I type - which will save time as it is very good at predicting, but if I don't do that, it will pull words I didn't want - even though I typed accurately. It gets smarter as I use it. I've also played with Swype which has potential. My biggest complaint is that it is too hard to edit/get the right cursor placement - they need to add a magnifying glass type approach like the iPhone. I know the native keyboard has a screen with cursor keys, but that's kludgy. This phone really needs an optical mouse like the HTC Incredible. That would solve a lot of issues. I also relied on the blackberry key shortcuts - so I miss those tremendously. But, that's the price of a touchscreen phone.

A few other heads up items - in my experience anyway. The batter life can be really bad if you don't manage it - turn down the screen brightness (plenty bright inside at lowest level - I'll turn it up outside, in the car, and if I'm watching media). Also, be careful with applications that have locating functions - I installed WeatherBug and didn't change a few settings (tell it not to update location, have it update every 2 hours). I used the Google NAV yesterday (great app by the way), had the phone plugged into a car adapter, got to my location, grabbed the phone, put on silent, went to a 2.5 hour meeting, and when I checked my phone, the battery was completely dead. The only reason that should have happened is that the cell radio was triangulating location for 2.5 hours...and maybe the GPS was trying to. Nothing else was running. I have had a few instances where email polling has almost locked up the phone - really slowed it down - that can also burn up some battery. I've been getting great batter life lately so something weird happened yesterday - earlier this week I got 15 hours with moderate usage. I also think a weak signal burns the battery more. Anyway, I never had to worry about such things with the blackberry. Such is the price for a big 4" screen.

The speaker phone, and general phone volume, isn't as loud as my blackberry. There is a good fix for some of that - AudioBoost - I really hated listening to music on the Captivate until I installed that. Boosts the volume beyond what the EU level and fixes the base EQ settings.

Camera is great - I don't really miss the LED light - I'll trade thinness for no light. HD video is also very good. Form factor is great - it's a bigger, but thinner phone than the 8900 - it fits in my pocket better. I don't have a screen protector - relying on the gorilla glass - no issues so far.

Most of my issues are early adopter, first generation issues. I have no doubt the froyo and samsung updates will help - hopefully samsung is good about that. 90% of my issues should be software fixes - and I'm still very happy with the phone, just making sure you know the possible issues.

Now if they would just get their stupid accessories on the market - I want the desktop cradle, maybe even the car one. Serious lack of accessories.

Also, one more tip. I too was able to lower my data plan since activesync doesn't require a BES level plan. I also dropped my texting plan and am using Gvoice with a Gvoice phone number - and it works great. Free texting. I even replaced the "stock" AT&T voice mail with the google voice one - so vm are on the phone (like visual voice mail), archived, available online, and there is even a text transcription - not 100% accurate, but does work. The listening volume on Gvoice voice mail playback is a problem, but they should get that fixed soon.

dmnall

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
Well I switched to the Captivate from a Bold 9000.. First thing I would recommend is get Google Sync on your bold to back up your contact and calender to your gmail account.

Do not use the stock/default Samsung E-mail program, it sucks big time, get maildroid and you will like it even more. Push e-mail on the BB is far superior for speed, deletion and viewing e-mails over Android in General, however, under android, no e-mail truncation, full html e-mails look the same as in the web browser and you can get attachments a lot better.

Overall Android does everything else a lot better in my opinion over BB and I am not looking back at this point!

HTH,
Charlie

spenserj87

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
.. no e-mail truncation, full html e-mails look the same as in the web browser and you can get attachments a lot better.

Good points, although I had good html experience on BES and it was faster, but you are right that they are better on the droid. I've yet to see any difference in attachments - word, excel, pdf, wav, tiff, jpg - all worked great on by BB. Now VIEWING them, well yes, that is a huge improvement with a 4" screen ;)

anon(50543)

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I just love the 4" screen, and how it easily fits inside my uniform shirt pocket, however I still use my BB 9700 strictly for work ie; e-mail, txt & bbm.

RobertInCypress

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
I think everybody here is an ex-blackberry user! I was surprised how many people had the big Bold (9000). That was always my favorite model.

The only thing I miss is how fast i got my email. I'm using the K9 mail app & its really good, but BB was built for email. other than the quick push mail the Captivate blows Blackberry away.

Sorry RIM, I'll always remember the good times we shared.

AndroidDrone

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
RobertInCypress... I agree!

I had a Bold 9000, and in my case what I've done to obtain the kind of email speed I want is to go to Gmail exclusively, downloaded the Gmail app from the Store and then turned on the SWYPE keyboard. I'm just shocked at how good SWYPE is, how fast, easy and brilliant it is.

I never thought I would ever find a combination for email that is as good as my Bold 9000 was, but this is it for sure. I handle a lot of email too. I could not be happier.

shorty920

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Also, one more tip. I too was able to lower my data plan since activesync doesn't require a BES level plan. I also dropped my texting plan and am using Gvoice with a Gvoice phone number - and it works great. Free texting.

Could you explain the free texting using Google Voice please? Anything to shave off cost for the monthly bill would be terrific.

spenserj87

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
For free texting, you need to create a Gmail account and then create a Google Voice account from that. With Google Voice, you actually select a local number - you can pick from a bunch, even try and get number/letter combinations. The Google Voice number is virtual - just forward it to your cell phone or a landline. Or don't forward it and just use it for voicemail. Once you have Google Voice, install the Gvoice application from the Market and set it up using the Gmail account - which will tie in the Voice account. As long as you have friends text to the Gvoice number, it will just be part of your data plan. Not an SMS service. To send text, you use the Gvoice application just like you'd use the messaging app.

I think the Gvoice site has really good setup info.

kennyyboy

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
For free texting, you need to create a Gmail account and then create a Google Voice account from that. With Google Voice, you actually select a local number - you can pick from a bunch, even try and get number/letter combinations. The Google Voice number is virtual - just forward it to your cell phone or a landline. Or don't forward it and just use it for voicemail. Once you have Google Voice, install the Gvoice application from the Market and set it up using the Gmail account - which will tie in the Voice account. As long as you have friends text to the Gvoice number, it will just be part of your data plan. Not an SMS service. To send text, you use the Gvoice application just like you'd use the messaging app.

I think the Gvoice site has really good setup info.

This is what I originally thought too. I did this when I was using my Blackberry Bold, thinking I would be having free text.....BUT there is a problem....

1) Friend texts your "google voice" number
2) This text then gets forwarded to your cell phone
3) You then get charged for receiving that forwarded text message.

So this way does save you money if you send out text msgs by using the app, but if you get the messages forwarded to your phone, it still counts as receiving a text.

The only way to get pass that is if you check for any incoming messages through the google app, but even with that, its not instant notification.

If I'm wrong here, someone please correct me, thanks.

spenserj87

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Nope, this isn't the case. I forward my Voice number to my cell phone and as long as you use the Gvoice app, not the native Messaging app, it's free both ways. The reason I know that is I can text back and forth with just a WiFi connection - the cell radio can be completely off and I can do a Gvoice. I've also not seen any charges on my invoice.

kennyyboy

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
Nope, this isn't the case. I forward my Voice number to my cell phone and as long as you use the Gvoice app, not the native Messaging app, it's free both ways. The reason I know that is I can text back and forth with just a WiFi connection - the cell radio can be completely off and I can do a Gvoice. I've also not seen any charges on my invoice.

I'm just trying to get a better understanding, but when you receive this forwarded text message, it's being delivered to you as a regular text message no?

I understand that you can SEND a message with only WIFI because you will be using google's app to send this message instead of the phone's native message service.

shorty920

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
Ok so this is why I'm getting confused. People can't text my number, they have to text my GV number? So to call me they all call my cell, but to text me, they text my GV number? And if I do it wrong with the forwarding, I get charged text anyways. I'll try it with my text plan still attached. If it works, then I'll cut text down to 200 a month, if not, then I guess I won't be saving any cash. I've heard positive and negative stories on both sides saying it works or doesn't work.

spenserj87

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Yes, they need to send a text to your Gvoice number and it works great. I have received plenty of texts to my Gvoice number using the Gvoice app with just WiFi. And my understanding is that SMS only works on cell radio - and Gvoice will simply be a data transaction. No charges with my phone.

zhelf

Zombie
Trusted Member
Nov 6, 2009
Visit site
So can i ask how the device is only $379 with no commitment? Is this a promo or how did u get this price? Thnx

RobertInCypress

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
Yes, they need to send a text to your Gvoice number and it works great. I have received plenty of texts to my Gvoice number using the Gvoice app with just WiFi. And my understanding is that SMS only works on cell radio - and Gvoice will simply be a data transaction. No charges with my phone.

What about voice calls? Can your GVoice number be used over wifi too?

s2h2golf

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
So can i ask how the device is only $379 with no commitment? Is this a promo or how did u get this price? Thnx

I don't know how mike_terror got his for $379, but I got mine for $349 off contract after haggling with ATT for months about dropped calls, telling me I was eligible for an upgrade, then telling me I wasn't, then I was again, then wasn't and so on. I told them I was dropping their service 3 times over a one month interval, decided to try the HTC Aria (off contract), had problems with missed calls right out of the box, called one last time to drop (and pay the early termination fee) and they offered the Captivate at $349. I've been with ATT for 8 years and always had good luck with their service, until the last year when coverage started going downhill. Aside from one missed call yesterday, the Captivate has been a good purchase.

In short, if you've been with ATT for a while, just try calling the ATT customer service line and see what deals they can give you.

kennyyboy

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
I got my Captivate for $372.99 through att.com's website. I logged into my account and then, checked on my upgrade options.

Then I was redirected to ATT's Premier website, stating that I wasn't eligible for an upgrade until 2012, but gave me pricing for no commitment.

Doesn't everyone get redirected to ATT's Premier website? I always assumed so.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParkerAdams