Captivate Self Shut Down + Fix

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
Had random shutdown issues with Cognition 2.b6, Cezar's Basic ROM, and Cezar's ROM AddOnPackv5. Used Load Monitor to fix it. Recently flashed Cognition 3.02 and haven't had any issues, no need for Load Monitor.

buffee

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
This only happens at night. I will go to bed and the phone is on, when I wake up its off. I bought it outright Dec 11th, cost over 500$
Its only been doing it a week now. I guess I'll have to call Samsung and get an RTA, which I hate to do considering how much the screen protector cost me, now I will have to purchase a new one, unless they just repair the phone & send mine back, which would be great. At least I can use my Impression while its enroute.

mikeymopar

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
This only happens at night. I will go to bed and the phone is on, when I wake up its off. I bought it outright Dec 11th, cost over 500$
Its only been doing it a week now. I guess I'll have to call Samsung and get an RTA, which I hate to do considering how much the screen protector cost me, now I will have to purchase a new one, unless they just repair the phone & send mine back, which would be great. At least I can use my Impression while its enroute.

Don't waste your time with Samsung. I went that route three times and tried KEEPALIVE. Nothing helped with the nightly shutdowns. Samsung will just reset your phone and ship it back. They can't (probably because of AT&T) correct the problem. It's a software issue.

Either flash a new ROM which I've read helps (see DroidXcon's earlier comment)or complain to AT&T and get a replacement. Other threads discuss this problem and recently AT&T has been replacing phones with this problem without a lot of hassle. I got a replacement even though it was out of warranty and have been problem free for 2 months.

a2gtinut

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
hello all, i am new to this forum. I have two phones with this problem. I found this by traveling to no reception area and have phones exposed to freezing temperatures = 5 shut downs in 3 hours. Remanufactured phones from ATT have this issue as well. 2 day ago my phonw switched off while on coffee table with perfect reception. It does not matter is there additiona lapps installed or not. To me this looks like hardware issue. I am trying to get some info thru my contacts in the industry.

mikeymopar

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
hello all, i am new to this forum. I have two phones with this problem....... To me this looks like hardware issue. I am trying to get some info thru my contacts in the industry.

Not a hardware issue since flashing a new ROM can correct the problem. While not all shut down issues are caused by the same problem, it seems that the vast majority can be "worked around" with an app or a new ROM.

Musicmasta

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Tried Everything, Phone still turns itself off!!!

Well I have tried just about everything. A while back I made a post about going to unlock my phone and finding that it wasn't even on... So called AT&T, and went through there process, finally ending up getting a new phone from them. That worked for about a week and the same thing started happening. So tried resetting it again and again worked for a while but its back. So tried installing android 2.2, it works great, but still the same problem is there...

So the reason for my post is that I realize when I have my music player running and am listening to music my phone cant shut itself down, its never done it. So is there a small application I can just have open all the time to keep it awake, but not drain the battery by a whole lot???

Thanks, Dan

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Well I have tried just about everything. A while back I made a post about going to unlock my phone and finding that it wasn't even on... So called AT&T, and went through there process, finally ending up getting a new phone from them. That worked for about a week and the same thing started happening. So tried resetting it again and again worked for a while but its back. So tried installing android 2.2, it works great, but still the same problem is there...

So the reason for my post is that I realize when I have my music player running and am listening to music my phone cant shut itself down, its never done it. So is there a small application I can just have open all the time to keep it awake, but not drain the battery by a whole lot???

Thanks, Dan

Have you tried this
YouTube - Samsung Captivate (How to FIX Charging Death Auto OFF)

or flashing a custom rom, i put cognition on my girlfriends phone and it hasnt happened yet

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
I used Load Monitor on Cezar's Custom ROM, and Cognition 2.3b6, and that worked. I'm currently using Cognition 3.02, and Load Monitor is not necessary. I haven't had one random shutdown, and I've been using the ROM for two weeks.

Musicmasta

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
yeah I haven't yet messed around with rooting it yet... Not even quite sure what the hell rooting is or what it would do for me. Is there something that a no rooted phone could use?

Dan

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
yeah I haven't yet messed around with rooting it yet... Not even quite sure what the hell rooting is or what it would do for me. Is there something that a no rooted phone could use?

Dan

rooting is basically moving files into the restricted areas of your phone, so that you can get permission to change things as if you were the designer of the phone.
i always say the analogy , pretend your phone is your locked house....you come home to find that the front door is locked and you dont have the keep, you can look at your house but you cant get inside,,,so you jump through an open window and unlock it from the inside you now have access to the house.

the process is approx 100times less invasive than what you did by loading up 2.2
if your interested ill give you all the tools you need when i get to work

Musicmasta

Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, if you have the info, I would love to try something new... But can I bring it back to normal so incase this doesn't work I can send it back to AT&T?

And Loading android 2.2 was cake! Plug the thing in, wait 5 mins, and you got 2.2 on your cappy!

Dan

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, if you have the info, I would love to try something new... But can I bring it back to normal so incase this doesn't work I can send it back to AT&T?

And Loading android 2.2 was cake! Plug the thing in, wait 5 mins, and you got 2.2 on your cappy!

Dan

install this app on your phone z4root
then open it from your app drawer, then hit the permanent button and you should be good...if you need to side load the app use this http://forum.androidcentral.com/and...40770-ac-sideload-wonder-machine-windows.html

if you want to go back to stock 2.1 do the same thing as 2.2 with this file

ODIN Android 2.1 LINK: MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

STLSi

Oct 27, 2010
Visit site
I've seen shut-downs with my captivate but they've consistently been related to the ambient temperature around the phone. Usually only when it's been very cold. For example, if I'm outside shoveling snow and I take my phone out of my pocket and set it in the garage somewhere, it'll be off when I come back to check it after a few minutes. However, if I leave it in my pocket, it's totally fine. I doubt this is some sort of protective feature of the phone but as long as I remember it's an issue, it's pretty easy to avoid.

I haven't had any other shut-down issues with my cappy.

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
That is truly bizarre... if anything, I would have thought that heat would cause the shutdown, not cold. As a Minnesotan myself, I can say with some authority that my phone does not seem to mind the cold :). Except of course when it is below zero out and I am crazy enough to try and use my phone... the screen does not work so good at about negative 10 and less. My buddies with other phone makes say the same, so I think that is simply too cold for touchscreens.

Too cold for people too, but what you gonna do.

Still, that sounds like the shutdown problem. If your phone is one of those included in the "notice" earlier in this thread, I would get it replaced.

luhreeuh

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
OK, so I bought this phone less than 30 days ago on Amazon Wireless. The past week or so, it has been shutting down every night. For the longest, I thought it was me turning it off by accident, but I happened to look into it on the web & saw that's it's an issue with a lot of people.

On XDA, there's a memo that Samsung apparently released that said that phones whose last four digits of their IMEI are lower than 5394, are affected by random shut-offs. My phone ends in 0777. Also, I've noticed that many users with batch numbers 1010 don't have this issue, I have batch 1008.

So I called Amazon, spoke with a rep in a matter of seconds, & she's overnighting me a phone today. Unfortunately, she wasn't able to tell what the IMEI was for the new phone. I guess I'll just have to wait until it gets here. I think I'll also stop by my local AT&T store today to see if they are aware of the issue & whether or not they can do anything locally. If Amazon can't send me a working phone, hopefully, the store will & I won't have to wait on Samsung or for another replacement from Amazon.

I'll follow up when I get my replacement.

osuarez

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Well here is what I have found that has worked for me. I have been having the problem of the phone shutting down on it's own at different intervals. Because of this I went and installed the 2.2 update and reloaded my apps. The problem seemed to get worse. I tried everything that I could find and nothing worked, I even tried the fix by installing SetCPU. I started to check my apps that I have on my phone and one by one I started removing each app and seeing if any difference. Well I found the one that may be causing the problem. (I say may because I do not want to upset or throw any developers under the bus.) The program is Launch Pro, once I removed it the phone did not shutdown for 24 hours. So to prove it was it I reloaded it and within the next two hours the phone shutdown. I uninstalled it and it was been fine for the past day and half with no shutdowns. I do not know if this will be the case for everyone but for me it has solved my problem and yes I still have SetCPU installed.

luhreeuh

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Well, I got my replacement phone from Amazon today. I almost didn't take it out of the box when I saw the IMEI number. Again, it's apparently one of the affected phones. But I was curious as to what batch number it was, & it's 1008.

I called Amazon & the rep offered to send me another replacement, exchange for another phone, or a refund. I decided to try a replacement one more time. The rep also said that when the model was 1st released last summer, the Captivate got a lot of returns, but he hasn't had any complaints from customers since September. Lucky me.

I really don't know what I should do if I get another lemon. I could go to AT&T, but the phone is $100 more, or I could exchange for another phone, but I'm not too familiar with any of them, & I've already shelled out money for Captivate apps.

This bleauxs.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone affected by this shutdown updated to the 2.2 released this week?

And did it help the issue. I have a cappy that this not affected but I have a friend that had his phone shutting down so much he stopped using it altogether.

Has the 2.2 update released on Feb 25 helped the shutdown issue? Thanks for any info.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12