Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Making music files a ringtone?

So I could easily do this with my other Captivate before I traded in for a new one (last one was defective, thats a different story) they are both rooted. the thing is I can't remember how I set my song as my ringtone. It is a full song and I easily set it as my ringtone. I didn't put it in a custom "ringtones" folder or anything. I know there are other threads on this but my situation is different.
    Help please.

Get Ringdroid. No point in having a 4-5 Minute song as a ringtone

++ Ringdroid.

Another arena where WinMo is better than droid, IMHO, is notification/ringtone settings.

You can use many music player/editors (itunes, etc.) to shorten your mp3 to a nice ringtone length. Copy to phone and then select it in settings.

WinMo was no easier. On android i go to sound settings and pick my tones. WinMo was the same. I never had to use Ringdroid - just made my ringtones on the desktop and transferred them over.

The problem I was having was that I could load the mp3s and wav files that I had and the phone would see them just fine. It would even play some of them. Once. Then it would act like there was nothing there and not even show them in the notification list. The MP3s I use are sound bytes that were .wav files once and then converted to MP3. Could be that desired meta data was missing, but it seems silly to me to not know how to cope with that. Using ringdroid created additional copies of the files but at least it works.

The question I still have is when I download a ringtone and it gets placed in folder, why cant I just 'set as ringtone' from there? I also go into my ringtone selection under 'Settings' and don't see it there? Should all ringtones be placed into a particular folder so it shows up under the dropdown ringtone listing?

On my old WiMo phone I could just click on the tone, set it and it's done. Process seems a bit more involved with the Cappy.

If you put your files on the internal SD or external SD card and have that card mounted on the pc, the phone can't access them.

I have had no problems. I like to organize things, so the first thing i did was create folders on my internal SD card - music, ringtones, videos

I put my ringtones in the ringtones folder and that is all the mp3 i see in the list of ringtones, other then the ones that came on the phone.

Then i discovered that if my internal SD is mounted on my PC that my ringtone doesn't play, so i moved my ringtones to the System directory where ringtones are stored - this requires SU access and changing directory permissions.

Having to do the system directory and permissions work is FAR to complicated for a modern operating system on a phone. Seriously, this is 2010 and custom ring tones are a defacto standard for people who use smart phones and even regular phones (I had custom ring tones on my Moto Slvr years ago). This sort of tinkery tweaking shouldn't be left to geeks. It should be a standard feature....

You don't have to do any permission tweaks - i only did it as i keep my phone mounted as a disk on the computer a lot. The phone and PC can't access the SD card at the same time, so if i get call when the phone is mounted on the PC there is an issue. Most people would never see this.

If your SLVR had an SD Card with ringtones mounted on a PC, your ringtones on your SLVR would not be available either.

It would be nice to save ringtones to system storage, but to many people would fill up their file system or delete things they shouldn't.