What to do with DNLA

Loren

Jul 25, 2010
Visit site
From your Owner's Manual...
"AllShare
AllShare allows your phone to stream photos, music and videos from its memory to other Digital Living Network Alliance (DLNA) certified devices. Your phone can also play digital content streamed from other DLNA certified devices."

danl#AC

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
I have a Synology NAS which supports DNLA. This is my networked source.
I have a Samsung TV (LN40C630) which supports DNLA. This is my networked viewer.
Any video/mp3/jpg on the NAS in the proper shared library location can be viewed on the TV (if the TV supports the file type/bit rate)

The Captivate can be used as a network source, a networked viewer, or as a go-between/controller. Therefore I can play music/video off my phone on the TV, music/video off the NAS on my phone, or use the phone as a remote control to play music/video off the NAS on my TV.

I have occasionally run into issues where the source is not compatible with the viewer. For example, certain music files can be played on my phone with the default player but not on the TV because the TV does not support the same bitrate or file type.

atlkr5

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
I have a Synology NAS which supports DNLA. This is my networked source.
I have a Samsung TV (LN40C630) which supports DNLA. This is my networked viewer.
Any video/mp3/jpg on the NAS in the proper shared library location can be viewed on the TV (if the TV supports the file type/bit rate)

The Captivate can be used as a network source, a networked viewer, or as a go-between/controller. Therefore I can play music/video off my phone on the TV, music/video off the NAS on my phone, or use the phone as a remote control to play music/video off the NAS on my TV.

I have occasionally run into issues where the source is not compatible with the viewer. For example, certain music files can be played on my phone with the default player but not on the TV because the TV does not support the same bitrate or file type.

Thanks, I know how to use Google, unlike other who think that a computer is called a "Google Machine."

Anyway I was look for interesting ways that people have been using DNLA, so if you have a use, let everyone know.

alphadog

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, I know how to use Google, unlike other who think that a computer is called a "Google Machine."

Anyway I was look for interesting ways that people have been using DNLA, so if you have a use, let everyone know.

DLNA (not DNLA) is pretty standard in what it does - I don't know of any magic ways to use it. You stream movie, music, pics from your phone or you stream music, movies, pics from some device to your phone. It is either a client or server (or both).

Some people watch movies in bed and not disturb spouse who is watching TV. With many GB of storage I just copy things locally.

schoolboy

Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
I haven't figured it all out either but I've done some interesting tests. I run tversity and windows media centers on one of my pc s and I have an asus oplay media player attached to my tv.

I'm not sure how dnla differs from upnp.maybe one is a super set of the other. The captivate sees these devices and can play some of the content.my old iphone 3g acted the same way.

The asus sees the captivate but I'm not sure why what content shows is there.for instance, where's my music? All the video is there but, and this is bad, the captivate created video will not play.I have a 720p episode of Lost on my phone mostly just as a demo. This plays perfectly, and that's a nifty demo. An hd video playing wirelessly off my phone. Its not practical but its cool

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897

alphadog

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
UPnP is used as a network application protocol to let devices discover each other. It is especially useful when you want something behind your home firewall to allow incoming connections.

Like you mentioned, I think UPnP is used by DLNA to share what services are available.

For DLNA there is no standard on what clients and servers can share (file format wise). Some servers can transcode on the fly so the client can play unknown file types, but this is the exception.

If you have pc and want to stream to your TV - i like the idea, but I don't see much point in the phone (streaming video either way), unless I want to share pics on the phone with other people.

I also have a WD Live TV box that supports "Play To" which i think is part of DLNA - if I play a movie this way (from PC to WDTV box) it down converts and looks terrible. If I just find the movie on the share and play it from the WDTV box, I get the full file pulled over the wire.