Captivate FOTA Software update

SlappyMcgee

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Did anyone else see this on Att website?

Answer Center | AT&T

1. 09/21/2010 - Firmware Over the Air (FOTA) software update changing software version from I897UCJF6 to I897UCJH7. A 12MB download is being pushed to Samsung Captivate owners starting on 09/21/2010 and will continue Tuesday through Friday at 15K customers per day until complete. This is NOT an operating system update. This update includes the following software updates:
* Preinstalled software - QuickOffice for Android will allow users to edit various Microsoft Office documents.
* Messaging - Exchange 2003 support, MMS and other messaging enhancements.
* Voice - Improved calling experience.
* Media - media scanning time improvements.

Joeybear23

May 13, 2010
Visit site
Did anyone else see this on Att website?

Answer Center | AT&T

1. 09/21/2010 - Firmware Over the Air (FOTA) software update changing software version from I897UCJF6 to I897UCJH7. A 12MB download is being pushed to Samsung Captivate owners starting on 09/21/2010 and will continue Tuesday through Friday at 15K customers per day until complete. This is NOT an operating system update. This update includes the following software updates:
* Preinstalled software - QuickOffice for Android will allow users to edit various Microsoft Office documents.
* Messaging - Exchange 2003 support, MMS and other messaging enhancements.
* Voice - Improved calling experience.
* Media - media scanning time improvements.

Great find.

I already run JH7, but it is cool that AT&T is now going to officially release it.

ukulele_ninja

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
If im rooted and have removed the ATT crapware, will the update still work correctly? I did a search for it for on upgrade but it didnt find anything.

SlappyMcgee

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
IIRC if you are rooted you have to go back to stock. dont quote me on that.

Plus pay attention to the step were it instructions you to remove your sim card.

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
Nice find! You see this crap where if you manually check for an update and it's not ready, you have to wait 24 hours before checking again?

JackImageX

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
Nice find! You see this crap where if you manually check for an update and it's not ready, you have to wait 24 hours before checking again?

Yea. I guess AT&T is afraid everyone will bomb the servers.

I have the One-Click Lag Fix installed. I'll wait until they notify me, then unlagfix-unroot to install it. I don't know if that's necessary but I'll do it.

s2h2golf

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Maybe once I get JH7, I can finally get the SRE 1.3.1 to run without getting FCs on the media scanner (and locked, dead phone). I tried everything, from reflashing to stock, blank JF6 to doing a master clear through ODIN, bypassing updating the system data through Titanium Backup and installing from there. I even tried JH3 to SRE 1.3.1 without any luck. I'm back to stock JF6 with the one-click lag fix and unleash the beast. The super circle battery is off too as that made my whole phone unstable.

Also, one other thing that could make my above post just a moot point, there has been a rumor that the Galaxy S phone will receive Froyo on 9/23 (http://androidspin.com/2010/09/13/rumor-samsung-galaxy-s-to-get-froyo-around-23rd-september/). Could it be possible that JF6 is unstable enough that in order for the Captivate to run properly on Froyo that it needs to be updated to JH7 first?

Last edited:

jflexe99

Droids!
Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
Improved calling experience? I think its top notch as it is now! Sweet

I do love the idea of improved times in media scan, seems to take a while for our phones to do it.

I am waiting to flash back to stock when froyo actually comes out.

s2h2golf

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
yyou can move your date up a day to get past the wait period :p I did that and mine is downloading now.

Good call - thanks!

Update: First shot at this said update failed. So I unrooted and tried again. Same thing. Now I am re-rooting the device and will try uninstalling the LagFix and the unrooting again to try a third time. It'll be 2011 according to my phone before I get this done!!

Last edited:

s2h2golf

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
Update - Tried everything I noted before and it still failed. I may have to flash back to stock using ODIN before I continue again. I used Unleash the Beast to root and I think that is the problem.

Yep - just checked my Build Number and it doesn't say Eclair. Great, now I have to figure out how to get rid of it.

Another note - uninstalling the LagFix and EXT2 tools is required along with unrooting. At least I got to the screen that shows it tried to install the update the last time before the build number problem popped up.

Last edited:

cgriffin

Sep 2, 2010
Visit site
I downloaded the update. It installed to 100% but said it failed. Im not rooted and no lag fix. But when my phone reboots, baseband version is I897UCJH7 and media scanner takes half the time. Downloaded it again. Tried to install but the phone froze on preparing on the update software screen after it rebooted.

Last edited:

anneoneamouse

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
"software update, communication in progress", hooray! "failed unable to communicate with at&t server", Ugh.

... and through a poor choice of date reset, I now have to 119 hours before I can make a new request :)

AoN

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calvinxander08