Can't Find a Single Satellite After Update

2nd2no1

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
So I went through with the update to JH7 today expecting (halfheartedly) that I would finally have a fix for the nagging GPS problem on this otherwise wonderful phone. To my dismay, it soon became apparent that not only did this not fix my GPS, it actually made it terribly worse. Before the update, I could go into GPS Status and locate at least 4-5 satellites (6-7 on a good day) and lock onto about half of the ones found. I could also get a location on google maps, even if it was a few hundred or thousand feet away.

Fast forward to today and I can no longer get a single location of a satellite, let alone lock onto one, and Google Maps can no longer even find a wrong position for me. On top of that, In the new update, you can no longer locate the LbsTestMode to try to go in and make some changes yourself.

I for one think this is complete and utter BS. For such a high quality piece of hardware to be bogged-down with horrible software and support is just disappointing. This sure is making me second guess myself about choosing this device over the iPhone 4.

If anyone could chime in with their thoughts or solutions, it would be greatly appreciated.

-Justin

BigTex

Apr 12, 2010
Visit site

2nd2no1

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Thank you so very much TheBronze for directing me to that thread. I read your post there and used the modifications that you used in LBSTestMode and then walked outside. Within ten seconds I had a lock on 10 satellites and an exact lock on where i was standing in my back yard on Google Maps. I don't understand why the phone wan't just shipped with those settings.

Thank you so much again, it is greatly appreciated.

-Justin

EDIT: Doesn't work too well indoors, but hey I guess beggars can't be choosers.

Last edited:

2nd2no1

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Actually if anyone is still following this, I used TheBronze's setting in LBSTestMode which are:

Application Settings:

Session Type: Tracking
Test Mode: S/W Test
Operation Mode: Standalone
Start Mode: Hot Start
GPS Plus: On
Dynamic Accuracy: On
Accuracy: 50
Use Skyhook: Off
Use PC Tool: Off

SUPL/CP Settings:

Server FQDN Type: Custom Config
Server: supl.google.com
Server Port: 7276
Supl Secure Socket: Off
AGPS Mode: SUPL

While this allowed me to find/lock on to many satellites, it for some reason made my turn by turn navigation (google navigation) incredibly slow and laggy. I am not a GPS guru and was wondering if these modifications are only allowing it to get a fixed position and not dynamic positioning while I'm moving?

thanks
-Justin

Raven71

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I thought I was the only unlucky person I'm having same problem but also my phone is lagging. When I touch the screen it takes let like 5 to 10 seconds before anything happens. Also my swype keyboard is not working right. It takes forever for a word to show after I swype. My battery is ask lap draining faster.
All settings are the same and nothing has changed. Now I am really upset cause my 30 days are up. I'm still bringing it back and see if they will give me a new one.

Raven71

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I just tried to edit and it is going crazy when I try to type. My screen is moving by it self without my touching it. It is printing words I'm not typing. Ask lap before also and some other crap is screwing up on other apps. My email just says loading all the time also. I was able to edit this post but it takes awhile to show after I make a post.

I feel like I have a bb browser again

Last edited:

TheBronze

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Wow. Sounds like you have something else going on there. I'd try uninstalling that app and see if that is the cause of your issue.

As for the LBS Test mode settings, I can't take credit for them as I think they are the default settings that the phone came with. I think this a case of "Let's push the update and for those who tweaked their settings it's up to them to figure it out." I had the benefit of having a second phone to compare against. Tonight I'm going to install launcher pro on the wife's phone and verify the settings for sure. I'll post back the results.

Posted from a galaxy far far away...

2nd2no1

Sep 23, 2010
Visit site
Raven I had that same problem the first couple weeks that I had this phone, and they seemed to correct themselves after a while. It could be that your physical memory is low, Do you ever get what looks like a red SD in your notification bar?

TheBronze, Those were not the settings that came stock in my phone, this was the first time i changed anything in LBSTestMode. I still can't get my turn by turn navigation to follow my car as its moving without having to re-route every 10 seconds when i make a turn, and it thinks I'm still heading down that road. I have no problem with it locking on in google navigation however. Before the update and the changes i made to LBSTestMode, it would actually work pretty regularly.

TheBronze

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
2nd2n01, Right you are! I checked the stock settings on my wifes phone. The SUPL settings are different. Stock entries are:

Server: www.spirent-lcs.com
Port: 7275
SUPL Secure Socket: ON
AGPS Mode; SUPL

Testing continues, but at least the other settings seem to work for some of us. :)

Last edited:

Raven71

Aug 4, 2010
Visit site
I switched back to the Samsung keyboard. The swype is not working at all. I have no low memory or any icon showing red. My wifi isn't working right either. I use to have 3 bars now I have one if any. Unless. I move to the router the wifi analyzer shows poor. Im also getting data loss message and lose the site Im on. Either in 3g or wifi.
I was going to At&t to bring it back and the car crapped out on me. After reading the other threads about what was removed with this so called update I have had it with At&trash. Im going to try and get out of my contract and go to Verizon.
Ill get the incredible and at least know the phone works. It ain't up to me to apply fixes which might screw my warranty up. Im really upset cause I thought At&trash was getting their act together.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
be1digital