Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

I believe that most cellphones, including the Captivate, advertise AGPS. Which is fine and useful, as it helps the initial lock. After that, the GPS is on its own..so nothing wrong with having AGPS working to its utmost

Nothing wrong with having either one working, but when Samsung & ATT both claim "GPS Capability" they conveniently forget to mention that the phone has almost no GPS Capability unless it can get assistance from a network. This may be the poorest GPS implementation on the market, as there are many situations where it simply will not work--GPS or AGPS--where other phones and real GPS units work very well.

And shipping the units, after two sets of FOTA upgrades, with the AGPS software configured to use a disconnected server...really...isn't that like selling a new car with four flat tires? It just needs a little work by the new owner, sure.<G>

There was a classic settlement between Campbell's Soup and the FTC back in the days when the FTC was a new agency. Campbell's was advertising one of their vegetable-noodle soups with mouth-watering pictures that showed how much good stuff was in the soup. Except, the bottom of the bowl had been filled with marbles to force the noodles and vegetables to the top. What, you don't use noodles in your soup? You think that's misleading?

Same same. If the GPS can't work the way every other GPS works...it isn't working, and there's no excuse for that. An honest man calls that "fraud" when the seller has long been informed of the problem, then ignores it and refuses to address or admit it.
    mapletrail likes this.

Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    ROM
    di11i's v5.5 Blue

The advice in this thread worked for me:

However, I am running Cognition v2.3b6. I extracted the files in the Vibrant-Files.zip attachment, and the Cognition zip file on my PC, replaced the necessary files in the extracted ROM, re-archived the ROM, then flashed. Booted up, deleted GPS data in LBS Test Mode, rebooted, and I get a GPS lock in about thirty seconds, with an accuracy of 10 meters, with no changing of settings in LBS Test Mode.

Of course, if you're already flashed, you can always replace the files using Root Explorer. If you're running a stock ROM, you will need to root to apply the fix.

I went for about a twenty five minute drive, and everything seem to be working well, with no GPS signal drop.

Disclaimer: I am a noob, but, again, this is what works for me on my device. No guarantees...

The "what worked" link says:
    "Even with the files you have to hold the phone in the windshield vertically, like a normal GPS unit."

IOW, even when it is working at it's best, it won't work if you take it out from under the windshield. The cheapest Nuvi will work when it is lying on the front seat, or in a center console compartment.

Captivate GPSes are simply DEAF. If anyone tells you this is acceptable GPS performance, remind them this is not 1990. This is NOT ACCEPTABLE PERFORMANCE in 2010. Not even in 2005. Maybe ten years ago, marginally, but not now.

the best quick fix without unlocking the programming function is to turn off the wifi that gets it to within5 meters or so.

Set my new Captivate next to a Motorola Flipside, and the Motorola saw and used 10 satellites in roughly 5 seconds and locked (very first time using GPS on that phone, my wife's). I just installed GPS test on both, and turned on the "Use Signals" to speed up acquisition.

The Captivate was struggling to see 3, and using GPS Test on both, The Captivate SNR readings are MUCH worse than the flip-side.

My guess is the antenna is sitting underneath that amazing display trying its hardest to "see" through it.

Note, this was inside our house through a roof and two ceilings. The Flipside just lays the smack-down on the Captivate for GPS performance.

The phone is just deaf as a post for GPS, so I am considering returning it is it is one of the primary features I am gearing to use. :-(.

Drat.

Global Posts
    33 Global Posts

I got a second warranty replacement Captivate from AT&T this week. My first warranty replacement wouldn't get a GPS fix in less than 5 minutes and then would almost instantly lose it. It was a Batch 1008, version 0.4. I tried all the recommendations short of rooting it and flashing another ROM. I had upgraded to Froyo with no change, perhaps even worse if possible.

The new one is a Batch 1007 and came with Froyo pre-installed. The new Captivate gets a GPS fix in less than 20 seconds inside (measured by LBS Test). In a new location, it takes less than 60 seconds and sticks like glue. I drove 30 miles with it tonight and it never lost the fix and it always showed me ON the road, not in the fields nearby!

I haven't run GPS Restore, no need to. It came with SUPL server pointed to and port 7275 but I'm not touching it for now.

It is absolutely unbelievable how different the 2 units are.

ROM
    DLEVROM 5.0

I have to believe a big factor is the modem.

Running Andromeda ROM and no fixes, GPS was better than stock ROM but still just marginal. Running Di11i ROM with fixes, it was horrible. Running Darky's Extreme along with PlumbBob's recommendations (XDA) it has been spot on. I'm talking about 90 to 150 mile round trips to "work" everyday with the majority in fairly low EDGE reception (northern Michigan).

"It came with SUPL server pointed to spirent-lcs.com "
    Home of "You've won a free laptop!" and your choice of ipad and other great prizes. If I were a cynic, I'd suspect that someone at AT&T or Samsung was personally hosting that page and profiting from it. The alternative is to think they're just too dumb to know they are sending business to...a scam domain parking page that someone else is making big money from. Hmmm....Oh Be One Kanobe, help me, I cannot read the Force!

Nice to nice they've started shipping Froyo and possibly gotten the GPS fixed by now. Well, it can't be fixed, I suppose, since it never was broken.
    (That's their story and who are we to doubt it? <G>)

Does the Froyo patch also include a fix for the battery charging, so it doesn't light up and ring ALL the time to tell you to unplug the charger? Even in the middle of the night? (Leave phone in normal mode, plug in charger, power down phone, go to sleep and see if it wakes you up with the urgent news.)

I have tried to enter on my epic the dialer codes mentioned here and else where for my recent ota update to froyo, with no success. The 2.1 code doesn't work either. I have also tried to set a shortcut to lbstest as well, but I can't find it on my phone. Is it possible I am missing this service? If so any ideas on how to get it installed?

The codes tend to be specific to a particular model(s) of phone and a particular OS level, once an OTA update has been pushed some of them are intentionally disabled. Odds are that you are not missing the service, but that it needs a different code for your phone and your OS level.

You might try calling Samsung support, they openly gave me the codes to confirm (well, refute<G>) gps operation on my captivate.

The instructions say to dial *#*#1472365#*# then press SEND. I can't find a send button anywhere. (I assume it's the green phone button?) Instead, the numbers just simply disappear in outer space.

That's what I got when I tried it out--but then later, it got a good fix.

Then, I upgraded to 2.2 (it FINALLY worked when I enabled USB Debugging) but then I started having the GPS problem again. I went by where it has you downloaded a program called "GPS Restore" (called GpsSamsungRestore or GpsRestore by Samsung Mobile) from the market (it apparently reverts the GPS settings back to their original state & runs a test to make sure it gets a lock) yet even after running that I couldn't get a lock. Then I read somewhere to try turning off Wi-Fi--I did, and I got a clear signal then.

I wonder what the GpsSamsungRestore application did? (It also was located .)

LRH
    Last edited by larrytxeast; 03-27-2011 at 01:19 AM. Reason: Clarification.

The code for lbs test mode on the captivate is *#3214789650#. I think SGS tools also has a shortcut built in to this and other dialer codes

fldude99 That helped so much, why in the world has no one said anything about it until now? I kept punching in the original code & wondering why nothing happened?

I tried out those settings (I have Froyo 2.2 I thought I'd have the update, oh well) and right away I could tell a difference. It seems to pick up the location way better than I've seen yet. I still have the Samsung GPSRestore app installed in case, but I don't seem to need it now.

LRH

Glad to help. Don't know why it wasn't mentioned..sometimes people look for complicated answers to simple things. Anyway, the only change I've made to settings is to replace the spirent server with google and change the port to 7275 and it works pretty good. I use lbs testmode quite often first to get the lock then proceed with the app I want to use that needs gps

Default Any way to get at and maybe add an external GPS antenna?

It seems like a lot of the problems might be related to the GPS attenna in the Captivate. Is there anyway to get at it? If I disassemble the phone and drill a hole in the case somewhere, can I install an external antenna and get better signal?

When I have good signal (clear sky, etc.), I find the GPS works pretty well. But I can get a lock and then when driving, I go under an overpass or trees, lose the lock and then it takes a long long time to get a lock again if ever.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by fastoy View Post
    I got a second warranty replacement Captivate from AT&T this week. My first warranty replacement wouldn't get a GPS fix in less than 5 minutes and then would almost instantly lose it. It was a Batch 1008, version 0.4. I tried all the recommendations short of rooting it and flashing another ROM. I had upgraded to Froyo with no change, perhaps even worse if possible.

The new one is a Batch 1007 and came with Froyo pre-installed. The new Captivate gets a GPS fix in less than 20 seconds inside (measured by LBS Test). In a new location, it takes less than 60 seconds and sticks like glue. I drove 30 miles with it tonight and it never lost the fix and it always showed me ON the road, not in the fields nearby!

I haven't run GPS Restore, no need to. It came with SUPL server pointed to and port 7275 but I'm not touching it for now.

It is absolutely unbelievable how different the 2 units are.
    Ditto!

Nothing really helped until I exchanged for a refurbished unit.

The difference could not be more dramatic. Gps is perfect now, useless before.

If you're having gps problems, consider a warranty exchange. No amount of tweaking will help a defective unit.

Quote Originally Posted by daunted View Post
    Ditto!

Nothing really helped until I exchanged for a refurbished unit.

The difference could not be more dramatic. Gps is perfect now, useless before.

If you're having gps problems, consider a warranty exchange. No amount of tweaking will help a defective unit.
    Same experience here. Just received a warranty replacement (random shutoff issues), and the GPS on the replacement unit works perfectly...

Global Posts
    2 Global Posts

How did the refurbished units look as far as scratches, dings, etc?
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12