Stock Email vs. Gmail

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
Which of these two email apps do you use and why?

I find that the gmail app is a bit combersome in the UI department.
The stock app has a very nice UI over all.

s2h2golf

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
After recent article about the stock mail app being able to show your password in plain text if you are rooted, I changed to K9 Mail. I set up my work email, yahoo email and gmail account in K9 Mail and have been using it ever since. There are a lot of options to it, which take some time to figure out (ex. I like to be able to check off multiple emails to delete, stock settings on K9 Mail do not do that, I had to find the option). I never had good luck setting up my gmail and yahoo mail through the stock email program.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
The stock email interface is pretty good but it was not reliable enough for me. I have yahoo as a primary account and the stock email and the yahoo app were just not as good as my blackberry or iphone. I do not depend on email for my business but after you have push the 5 or 10 minute polling does not cut it. Gmail works very well and sometimes I even use Gmail from the browser. If I had not been able to get my yahoo forwarded to gmail and make it my primary address so that when I send or reply it says yahoo, I would have left android and the captivate. I am not quite ready to give up on push email for my yahoo account. BTW I also tried K9 and maildroid but they were not that much better in my view.

fadetoblack2104

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
Sorry to hear that. What server did you see this with? IMAP or POP3? What settings did you have? Was your device in sleep mode?

The problem is that I came from a Blackberry and got too used to the push email. Not that its a big deal, the stock email works fine for me as I don't depend on email on a daily basis. It's just something that I had to get used to, polling for email. Now that I've had my phone for a month it doesn't even bother me anymore.

maildroiddev

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
The problem is that I came from a Blackberry and got too used to the push email. Not that its a big deal, the stock email works fine for me as I don't depend on email on a daily basis. It's just something that I had to get used to, polling for email. Now that I've had my phone for a month it doesn't even bother me anymore.

Polling only is for POP mail. IMAP (most servers) support Idle Push. The stock client does not support Idle Push and that is why they poll for imap and pop3. K9 and MailDroid do support that and you will get push (not true blackberry push) for IMAP supported clients.

Just wanted to clarify :) If you are happy with the stock, that is great!

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Polling only is for POP mail. IMAP (most servers) support Idle Push. The stock client does not support Idle Push and that is why they poll for imap and pop3. K9 and MailDroid do support that and you will get push (not true blackberry push) for IMAP supported clients.

Just wanted to clarify :) If you are happy with the stock, that is great!

I must have used the POP settings for yahoo. What are the IMAP setting for yahoo plus email? I have seen various setting but so not know what the true settings are? Are the settings for Pop and IMAP different?