1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default does build-in tethering still work after upgrade?

I am using the build-in tethering and very happy with it. However, ATT is pushing for the upgrade now, and I heard this will disable the build-in tethering. Can someone confirm this?

I would like to have the GPS fixed but will not trade that for the free tethering. Any solution out there?

Global Posts
    228 Global Posts
    ROM
    4.0.3/1.4.3/4.1.2

No, built in tethering is removed with the upgrade.

There are other solutions, but I believe they require either rooting or purchasing software to run both on the Phone and Computer end to create the link.

Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    ROM
    2.3.4 / Stock

PDANet is free and easy to use and does not require being rooted. Power down phone, remove SIM card, boot up phone, connect to internet via WiFi and then search the Market for PDANet. Once you get it on your phone, you will need to install a program on your computer.
    Motorola Droid > HTC Aria > Samsung Captivate (Serendipity 7) > Virgin Mobile Optimus V (CM7) > Motorola Atrix > HTC Flyer

Global Posts
    129 Global Posts

PDANet, works wonders here . I rather use PDANet for the simple reason that AT&T can't detect it connecting to your laptop or desktop, using USB tethering on USB options on the phone will risk being discovered, my personal view.

Global Posts
    85 Global Posts

I never had any built in tethering :/

Can you still tether using Kies after the update?
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Thanks, I will give it a try.
    I was able to do tethering through Kies yesterday, so I upgraded my firmware. Now Kies can not connect my phone, and I lost that built in tethering... Hope PDANet will work.

After the update, I lost "PC Internet" tethering; however, I could tether through Kies. With Kies, unlike PC Internet, I could not place calls or have someone browsing on my phone while I browsed on my tethered netbook. Installed the free version of "Easy Tether". Now I can do it all. Also, you don't have to root your phone or remove your sim card. Just put the phone in "Flight Mode" and use a wireless connection to download and install the app. The paid version, $10, allows you to connect to secured sites. I have it set to automatically complete the connection anytime I tether the phone via USB to my netbook. Some people tether through Bluetooth; however, as I understand it, Bluetooth will restrict your download speed to a max of 800kb. I normally get 1.5mb to 2.0mb using USB.