Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default What's so great about Froyo 2.2?

I'm not bashing it or anything, but besides the supposed GPS Fix.

What's new about it, and why is everybody flipping out about it.

There doesn't appear to be much to it functionally, other than eye candy and the gps fix. Exchange can now remote-wipe the whole phone via the native email app.

If you set the msconfig server to auto (see my post, part of the stickied 'gps fix' above), turn on all the options (use networks, gps, sensors) the gps locks in under 10 seconds, all the time, every time. That's enough of a fix to make it worthwhile, in my book.

Just my 10 scents,

AoN.

Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Carrier
    2.3.4 / Stock

FroYo brings to the table just-in-time (JIT) compilation (http://www.androidcentral.com/benchm...roid-21-eclair) which speeds everything up. Webpages load faster programs run smoother. FroYo also brings full Flash capability for websites so you can have the full experience if you want it (i.e., play Flash-based games, watch TV episodes online from ABC, NBC, etc.). Wireless tethering is now native on the phone, instead of having to root it and install a third party app. The GPS fix works OK, but I have found that I still have issues with My Tracks and Navigation - standing still I get almost an instant lock, but using any of those programs GPS wanders some - I set it to cold start and Auto Config, which has worked the best for me.

Some have been questioning whether ATT will keep MobileAp (wireless tethering) on the phone when 2.2 becomes official. Because of that, I went ahead and installed the Beta version so I could have that capability. If it is still available on the official build, I will go ahead and update.
    Banned

Global Posts
    268 Global Posts

also saving apps to sdcard

Wifi reconnects much more reliably.

There seem to be MANY little things. I had a non-Smasung charger that charges a separate battery and USB. Through USB under 2.1 it would charge to 85% but on 2.2 it goes to 100%. Little things. It's faster.

Get it while you can. I bet the official one will have more stuff removed (tethering).

How far will Samsung take the Galaxy? To 3.0? 4.0? What do you guys think?

Default Does anyone who upgraded to 2.2 regret it?

If so why? Have not upgraded. Wanted to get a good feel for the update before rushing in.

Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    Carrier
    2.3.4 / Stock

Quote Originally Posted by MANdroid5000 View Post
    How far will Samsung take the Galaxy? To 3.0? 4.0? What do you guys think?
    At the pace that new phones are being released, and with Samsung's history of leaving people behind (Behold II), my guess is that 2.2 is the last official update this phone will get. That doesn't mean that the XDA community won't port something over from 3.0 for the Captivate when 3.0 comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by anneoneamouse View Post
    There doesn't appear to be much to it functionally, other than eye candy and the gps fix.
    Can you elaborate more on the eye candy? Are there changes made to the screen layout or functionality?

Global Posts
    356 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by s2h2golf View Post
    At the pace that new phones are being released, and with Samsung's history of leaving people behind (Behold II), my guess is that 2.2 is the last official update this phone will get. That doesn't mean that the XDA community won't port something over from 3.0 for the Captivate when 3.0 comes out.
    agreed. blackberry has a similar history with leaving behind their most popular lines of devices with legacy firmware. i'm so far content with 2.1 but 2.2 would be great to have. i will wait for the official release unless we're talking next spring; then i may install a custom ROM. i'm not waiting for 2.5, 3.0, etc...i go through phones annually so by then i most likely won't using my captivate anymore.

Icons are more colorful.

AoN

Has anyone got this running? I download the ODIN installer but it fails...
    Droids!

Global Posts
    580 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

What derande said....

When 2.5 or 3.0 comes out, Ill have one or two new phones to replace the captivate, even though I do love it!!!
    Droids!

Global Posts
    580 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

I got leaked 2.2 working no problems at all. But it was too slow. Went back to 2.1, then installed Cognition 2.2 Beta ROM...I am soo happy with it being rooted and Ryans OCLF already installed so you can install EXT2 files and LagFix it, pretty damn quick!
    Droids!

Global Posts
    580 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

Good question...what are your MFLOPs?

I am hitting constant 14.++ on my Linpak.

Takes me 5-6 seconds normally.

Anyone else? 2.1, leaked 2.2, Cog 2.2 Beta(what I have)

Global Posts
    164 Global Posts

Running the Cognition Beta makes this phone twice as fast, IMO. This is why I bought this phone. 2.2 is definitely worth it. Also, the ease of having a wireless access point for my ipad and laptop is definitely a plus. much better than wireless tether or PDAnet.

I am trying to load froyo 2.2 on my captivate, have followed instuctions from how too on techpetals.com. have downloaded the drivers and followed instuctions and connected to the phone and for some reason cant get it to sinc, any ideas?