Has there been a 2.2 Update from AT&T?

know1

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I think they started rolling it out in Europe yesterday and indicated "everybody" would have it by the end of November. I don't have tons of faith in that, though. At one point, we were lead to believe we'd have it in September.

Dirt Mcgirt

Jul 21, 2010
Visit site
I saw on the main page the rollout to the UK devices, but what's this KIES that I should keep updated? Sorry to be out of the loop on this.

nickdeck

Oct 9, 2010
Visit site
I saw on the main page the rollout to the UK devices, but what's this KIES that I should keep updated? Sorry to be out of the loop on this.

Kies is the Samsung software that you can use for updating your phone. Google Kies Mini to download it for free. That was how I was finally able to load the last update.

The full-blown Kies program gave me fits when I tried it. Kept crashing during update attempts. I think you'll find by reading on here and elsewhere that the full program is pretty unreliable. Kies Mini's only functionality is for updating, and it worked well for me.

s2h2golf

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
I wondered that as well. Does this mean we can only update through KIES?

The update to 2.2 will likely be around 150mb or more. I think implementing Kies for the update will be the only way ATT will be able to push the update out - otherwise it will bog down their servers.

The latest leaked version of 2.2 came out last weekend. They crippled a lot of the functionality from the first leaked version, such as wireless tethering. Pushing 2.2 out to so many different carriers is time consuming. Remember, 2.2 for the EVO and other phones that recently received the update was only for one phone and one carrier. Samsung has to work with 4-5 carriers here in the US and who knows how many overseas to get this out. The only "promise" Samsung really made was having this out by the end of the year. They planned to have it rolling out in September for the International Galaxy S, but obviously hit some snags.

know1

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
The update to 2.2 will likely be around 150mb or more. I think implementing Kies for the update will be the only way ATT will be able to push the update out - otherwise it will bog down their servers.

The latest leaked version of 2.2 came out last weekend. They crippled a lot of the functionality from the first leaked version, such as wireless tethering. Pushing 2.2 out to so many different carriers is time consuming. Remember, 2.2 for the EVO and other phones that recently received the update was only for one phone and one carrier. Samsung has to work with 4-5 carriers here in the US and who knows how many overseas to get this out. The only "promise" Samsung really made was having this out by the end of the year. They planned to have it rolling out in September for the International Galaxy S, but obviously hit some snags.

I think Kies will be a problem for me. I have a Linux computer and I'm not sure it runs on that.

I shouldn't have to use a computer to with this phone. That's one of the reasons I got it.

wlj777

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Need tethering in 2.2

So, if I really need to tether, what version of 2.2 do you recommend? Do I have to root to load that?

s2h2golf

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
So, if I really need to tether, what version of 2.2 do you recommend? Do I have to root to load that?

Yes, you'll need to root your phone (that will void your warranty). The leaked versions of 2.2 are unofficial and are in the beta phase. A new one was again released this weekend. All of the Cognition ROMs ([ROM]Cognition v2.3b3 (Voodoo - CogKernel - Bootanimation) *11/5/2010* - xda-developers) include Mobile AP, which is the official Samsung wireless tethering program. If you just want to root your phone and have wireless tethering, the program (.apk) for that can be found here: Downloads - android-wifi-tether - Project Hosting on Google Code

I think I used version 4 or 5 (which isn't on that list). I would recommend the Cognition ROM, but you need to read the wiki and the forum to make sure you know what you are doing first. You can seriously mess up your phone (good thing is, most of the time you can fix it).

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
ATT will sell you tethering, if you want to be legit. The above posts for Cognition ROM are what I have also, but I hesitate to direct people that route without at least notifying that ATT does sell the option. It is like $30/month of course...

wlj777

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Yes, you'll need to root your phone (that will void your warranty). The leaked versions of 2.2 are unofficial and are in the beta phase. A new one was again released this weekend. All of the Cognition ROMs ([ROM]Cognition v2.3b3 (Voodoo - CogKernel - Bootanimation) *11/5/2010* - xda-developers) include Mobile AP, which is the official Samsung wireless tethering program. If you just want to root your phone and have wireless tethering, the program (.apk) for that can be found here: Downloads - android-wifi-tether - Project Hosting on Google Code

I think I used version 4 or 5 (which isn't on that list). I would recommend the Cognition ROM, but you need to read the wiki and the forum to make sure you know what you are doing first. You can seriously mess up your phone (good thing is, most of the time you can fix it).

thanks for the info. I wonder if there will be yet another cognition rom once the actual AT&T version of 2.2 is out.

wlj777

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
I was told there was no tethering plan for this phone. I still have the Sierra wireless devise for $59 per month, but my PC Internet button is still alive and well since i did not take the update, so it works great, and much better than the wireless dongle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol