Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Big problem with updating software

    ive frequently try to check if Froyo is available for my phone daily. When i do this i end up getting a message saying 'Unable to connect to AT&T network'. Not sure if this is because there is nothing to update, or if theres something wrong with my phone. Please help
  2. #2  

    Default

    There's no official froyo update yet. It'll be all over the forum when it happens.

    People running froyo on the captivate at the moment are using leaked or hacked roms.

    I wouldn't say that this is a "please help" issue.

    Hope this helps,

    AoN
  3. #3  
    know1's Avatar

    Posts
    170 Posts
    Global Posts
    171 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thefalloftroy_ View Post
    ive frequently try to check if Froyo is available for my phone daily. When i do this i end up getting a message saying 'Unable to connect to AT&T network'. Not sure if this is because there is nothing to update, or if theres something wrong with my phone. Please help
    Go to Settings-Applications-Manage Applications-(click menu button and change filter to "All"-Device Management-Clear Data

    Should work fine after that, but you may have to wait 24 hours to try again.

    It's an issue that came into being after the last update.
    Thanked by:
  4. #4  
    know1's Avatar

    Posts
    170 Posts
    Global Posts
    171 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anneoneamouse View Post
    There's no official froyo update yet. It'll be all over the forum when it happens.

    People running froyo on the captivate at the moment are using leaked or hacked roms.

    I wouldn't say that this is a "please help" issue.

    Hope this helps,

    AoN
    Actually I think it is an issue because when the update comes out people with this problem won't be able to get it. Luckily, the fix isn't so tough.
  5. #5  
    s2h2golf's Avatar

    Posts
    232 Posts
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    ROM
    2.3.4 / Stock

    Default

    The Froyo 2.2 update will be too big to go OTA (150mb+), so I think Samsung and ATT will use the Kies software for the update. I could be wrong, but with the Captivate being so popular, a file that big would shut down their servers (and if you are on the 200mb plan, there goes your data cap).
    Motorola Droid > HTC Aria > Samsung Captivate (Serendipity 7) > Virgin Mobile Optimus V (CM7) > Motorola Atrix > HTC Flyer
  6. #6  

    Default

    What about using wifi to update when 2.2 comes out?
  7. #7  
    know1's Avatar

    Posts
    170 Posts
    Global Posts
    171 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by s2h2golf View Post
    The Froyo 2.2 update will be too big to go OTA (150mb+), so I think Samsung and ATT will use the Kies software for the update. I could be wrong, but with the Captivate being so popular, a file that big would shut down their servers (and if you are on the 200mb plan, there goes your data cap).
    I hope that's not what happens. I didn't buy a computer, I bought a phone. I don't want to have to tie it to a computer for an update. Hopefully ATT will let people come into the store, connect the phone and get the update because I will not be a happy camper if I can't get the update OTA or over WIFI.

    That was one of my main reasons for ditching the iPhone.
  8. #8  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by s2h2golf View Post
    The Froyo 2.2 update will be too big to go OTA (150mb+), so I think Samsung and ATT will use the Kies software for the update. I could be wrong, but with the Captivate being so popular, a file that big would shut down their servers (and if you are on the 200mb plan, there goes your data cap).
    I was under the impression the updates will not count against your data plan.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by know1 View Post
    Go to Settings-Applications-Manage Applications-(click menu button and change filter to "All"-Device Management-Clear Data

    Should work fine after that, but you may have to wait 24 hours to try again.

    It's an issue that came into being after the last update.
    thanks so much! hope this works! can check tomorrow at 6am
  10. #10  
    s2h2golf's Avatar

    Posts
    232 Posts
    Global Posts
    239 Global Posts
    ROM
    2.3.4 / Stock

    Default

    It's possible that they will tell you to connect to WiFi first and those that do not have WiFi could get it through Kies. I think the iPhone almost forces you to connect to WiFi before downloading large apps, so that is certainly a possibility.

    Reggie - the updates do count against your data plan. I tried like crazy to get the last 12mb OTA update and it failed every time - tried 10 times. Looked at my data usage for that day and it was over 100mb.
    Motorola Droid > HTC Aria > Samsung Captivate (Serendipity 7) > Virgin Mobile Optimus V (CM7) > Motorola Atrix > HTC Flyer
  11. #11  

    Default

    know1 -

    I'd say that you bought a device that is closer to a computer than a telephone.

    You're discussing how you're going to be upgrading ~ 100Mb of Linux operating system, not flashing a few 100 k of firmware

    AoN
  12. #12  

    Default

    You can change the date on your phone to trick the 24 hour count down. I've done it several times, but still won't allow me to connect to AT&T server using Wifi, 3G or edge. Nothing is available yet on Kies either. Keep checking...
  13. #13  
    know1's Avatar

    Posts
    170 Posts
    Global Posts
    171 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by anneoneamouse View Post
    know1 -

    I'd say that you bought a device that is closer to a computer than a telephone.

    You're discussing how you're going to be upgrading ~ 100Mb of Linux operating system, not flashing a few 100 k of firmware

    AoN
    Well the other thing I didn't mention is that I don't own a Windows computer, either. Perhaps they should state in some agreement when you buy the phone that updates are contingent upon owning a Windows machine.
  14. #14  

    Default

    Surely you have access to one... If not, you can certainly use wine on linux or whatever mac version of the same virtualizer exists to get this to work. I find it interesting that you are anxiously awaiting FroYo like a good little geek (like the rest of us here) but are complaining about not having a windows PC and can't figure a different approach.
  15. #15  
    know1's Avatar

    Posts
    170 Posts
    Global Posts
    171 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheBronze View Post
    Surely you have access to one... If not, you can certainly use wine on linux or whatever mac version of the same virtualizer exists to get this to work. I find it interesting that you are anxiously awaiting FroYo like a good little geek (like the rest of us here) but are complaining about not having a windows PC and can't figure a different approach.
    I'm sure that I CAN find a way to update with a computer, but I don't WANT to have that be my only option.
  16. #16  

    Default

    At&t pushed an update to my phone yesterday. I even noticed a message that said I could only postpone the update twice. The update failed and now my phone is bricked. Luckily I'm within the 30 return period.

Posting Permissions

B