WIFI Issues PLEASE HELP

jegordon23#AC

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
My samsung captivate which I just bought works on wifi for a while except when it goes into sleep mode (which turns off the wifi) and I go to use it again, it doesn't work. BUT the wifi signal is still at full strength! so it doesn't loose the connection or anything, it just stops working UNTIL i reset my phone, then it works again! this makes NO sense! can anyone help me?

Ross#AC

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
I set my wifi to never sleep so it doesn't startup a 3g connection when it wants to do something.
Just curious, when you wake it up and pull down the status bar does it show wifi as on?

anneoneamouse

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
How do you know that the phone-wifi isn't working?

Also, do you have access to another wifi source (router)- either your neighbour's, or maybe at Starbucks? Might want to check to make sure that it's not your router causing the problems too.

Just a thought,

AoN

jegordon23#AC

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
No, wifi is on, and its connected to my internet, but for like 90% it doesnt work...and the other 10% it does

-my router is good, because my moms blackberry uses it, aswell as my laptops...

-the captivates wifi works on other peoples wifi....i factory reset it, and it just started doing it, but before the reset it worked fine

myk26

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Just curious to know how you think it's not working....?

As in it literally turns itself off (having to literally turn it on)?

Cause when I'm at the house (w/ WiFi on) I will still occasionally see the 3G symbol still appear in the status bar. Thats not to say the WiFi isn't still working, but the 3G will appear with WiFi on.

anneoneamouse

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
If your home router is password protected, the factory reset will have erased any wifi password / connections options that you set up.

Your phone may be occasionally latching onto a weak open WAP, which might explain your partial connectivity issues.

Have you checked your phone's wireless settings?

AoN

s2h2golf

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
I typed in one character wrong for the password once and it would connect fine and then go off randomly - I could access a webpage or two and then it would quit.

Also, I have ran across 2 different wireless routers that have problems overheating and shutting down the entire network. Both of them were Wireless-N routers - one that I installed here at work and another that I installed for a business that I work with on the side. The internet would work fine and then everything would shut down. I would have to re-boot everything to make it work again. Took weeks to figure out that the one wireless router was causing the problem.

hellosailor

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
"-the captivates wifi works on other peoples wifi...."
If it works with other routers just not with your router then the odds are the problem is in your router, not your phone. Sometimes the problem is from WAP/WEP setup and the first step in troubleshooting can be to turn off all encryption (and leave the computers shut so they aren't hacked whiel you run that way) and see if everything works "plain vanilla". If it does, then re-enable the encryption and start looking at the setup options it is using. Sometimes a phone (or computer) just doesn't log back in properly and resetting the encryption options will get it working again.

Ross#AC

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
I think Rred is on to something. I'll be you're not getting an ip addy even though you're connected.
You don't mention your isp but if it's att & you've got a 2wire router try disabling wi-fi protected setup.
Of course you'll want to keep encryption. just ditch the WPS.
I had a helluva time with all my wireless devices until I figured out the WPS was the problem.
I wasn't using it but it was interfering with the connection/auth process. All the devices would 'connect' but they couldn't get an ip address. Dead in the water.

Of course if you don't have a 2wire, forget what I just said. heh

Are you getting a (valid for your network) ip addy?
Ping the gateway?

Ross

Reactions: jegordon23#AC

jegordon23#AC

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
ANY HELP?!?!? THIS IS SOOOOO FRUSTRATING!!!

its connected to my wifi, but it wont load to any webpages or any apps

HOWEVER it does for some reason load /connect to the built in samsung feeds and updates widget, but THATS it....whats wrong with my phone!?!?

fcanode

Nov 4, 2010
Visit site
Does this happen after having the phone connected to your computer via USB? I (and several others that I have read) have a similar problem to yours but only happens after USB is disconnected. Shows connected to WIFI, good signal but no internet until restarted.

No solution found yet.

hellosailor

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
jeg, did you try running without encryption to see if that (encryption) is causing the problem?

And of course, keep the computers shut down while you are running that way.

You need to troubleshoot one process at a time, i.e. encryption, routing, firewall...There's no magic here, just relentless application of logic and the process of elimination.

Nelimungous

Jul 13, 2010
Visit site
im not verry computer savy, so im not too sure what do to

If you are trying to do what @Ross said above it's done through your AT&T Uverse Gateway. You access the gateway through this URL:
http://gateway.2wire.net/ Then you need to get the system password off the side of the unit. ONLY go into WIRELESS then in the first section named Wireless interface change the drop down for Wi-Fi Protected Setup to DISABLED. Then go to the bottom of the page and click save.

NOTE: This is just advice given I am not an expert! If you screw up your gateway I take no responsibility. If you know someone that has more experience then you may want to have them do it. I have done this and it works.

jegordon23#AC

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
even i after i changed it to no password it still wont acutally load any pages...i recall changing something from WEP to like WAP or something like that worked once...any ideas?

Ross#AC

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
What are the wireless security settings (on the 2wire gateway) now?
Make a note or screenshot of them.
Check them here: http://gateway.2wire.net/xslt?PAGE=C_2_1

The default is WPA-PSK (TKIP) so set it to that.
Make sure wifi protected setup is disabled.
Save your changes.

On your phone, delete (forget or whatever) your current entry for your network. Then touch it to connect.
In the connect box you should see the signal strength and security.
Since we just set the router to WPA-PSK (TKIP) you should see that as the security type.

In the box titled Wireless password, type in the wireless network key from the label on the side of your 2wire box.
Make sure you use the wireless network key and NOT the system password, also on the same label.

Let us know how it goes.
Ross

jegordon23#AC

Nov 22, 2010
Visit site
Well...now my wifi on my phone doesnt even scan networks anymore =( once i turn of wifi, it scans and then turns off, even though there are networks in the area

im praying that samsung gets things together very soon, or i may have to look for another phone

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech