Keypad

scrubcst

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
...hi guys. I need some advice on where can I find the speech to text, or if it is installed at all by default. I do not own the phone. The doctor I work with is asking me though he does not let me use it or see it. His stating that there is no voice option when he uses a word document, but appears when pressing search on the command buttons at the bottom. Any resolution on this topic? Thanks.

anneoneamouse

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I'm rooted, and running Cognition Beta 8.1 ROM, which is Froyo (2.2) based. Using the swype keyboard, hitting the "voice" key on the software keyboard activates speech to text (i.e. talk to the phone, and words appear). It works in the body of an email in Touchdown (the mail app I use).

Using quickoffice to create a new document, opening the keyboard, pressing the voice key on the swype keyboard also allows me to use voice-to-text instead of typing.

I am not sure whether the same will work in Android 2.1 (which is what the Captivate is shipped with, stock).

Hope this helps,

AoN

fireshot91

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
If he has 2.1, it is only available on the Android keyboard (I think, it might be the Samsung one).

On 2.2 beta, it is available on all the keyboards.

scrubcst

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Ill have to ask if he does have 2.1, which I think its the case. I only work with him wednesday and friday. So ill let you guys know tomorrow. Thanks.

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Voice actions for Google is 2.2 required, which is/was one of the main reasons I decided to root and go custom. Stock on the Captivate, there is no mic button on the swype keyboard.

This is a valid reason to be pissed about the 2.2 update :).

Vlingo may be a good work-around for Doctor Captivate, as it does install a Vlingo keyboard which should/could be usable in any app. You will have to select the vlingo keyboard after install, if you need it... the Vlingo widgets and apps cover most of the bases without the keyboard, but for editing a word doc... not sure.

scrubcst

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
Doesn't the stock captivate keyboard have voice on it? I don't understand why a newer phone would not have a basic function as this.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unirockers