Why do people hate touchwiz so much?

fadetoblack2104

Sep 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm a noob to android being that the captivate is my first android device since switching from blackberry. I have been reading the best android user interface 2010 and see alot of hate towards touchwiz and everyone seems to LOVE sense. Am I missing something here?

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
I'm a noob to android being that the captivate is my first android device since switching from blackberry. I have been reading the best android user interface 2010 and see alot of hate towards touchwiz and everyone seems to LOVE sense. Am I missing something here?

I wish I had a good answer for you. I have a Fascinate and I in particular really like TouchWiz, I think it is actually a very attractive interface, and although maybe not the MOST intuitive, it gets the job done very well as far as I'm concerned. I think I'm one of a very few rare breed of people who do not enjoy Sense much. I think Sense is a bit TOO much, not to mention I'm still convinced it's a battery hog...

flashman03

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
I liked it myself. I think most people that don't like TW are ones that have been with Android for awhile and are use to CM or Sense or anything else that is not an iPhone style interface. I liked it, but I am getting used to ROM's that have it removed. I personally like the ROM's that have most of TW removed with the exception of certain things hanging around like the slide to brightness in the menu bar. I like the 3d app drawer and slide to lock more than the Glass lock and multiple app pages. I am new to Android and never had any previous preferences for other UI.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
I liked it myself. I think most people that don't like TW are ones that have been with Android for awhile and are use to CM or Sense or anything else that is not an iPhone style interface. I liked it, but I am getting used to ROM's that have it removed. I personally like the ROM's that have most of TW removed with the exception of certain things hanging around like the slide to brightness in the menu bar. I like the 3d app drawer and slide to lock more than the Glass lock and multiple app pages. I am new to Android and never had any previous preferences for other UI.

The ONLY thing that bugs me with TouchWiz is the several differences between each Galaxy device. Granted most of them are very minute, it doesn't allow for a consistent TW experience across the board.

_JKK_

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
The ONLY thing that bugs me with TouchWiz is the several differences between each Galaxy device. Granted most of them are very minute, it doesn't allow for a consistent TW experience across the board.

That's one of the reasons why I like Sense, actually. There are very few differences (read: carrier apps) between different Sense handsets. I can go and pick up an Aria, and it will feel very similar to my DInc.

But, I do agree that Sense is a bit too much in some places, such as the browser. I hate the Sense browser.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
You can find plenty of people that dislike Sense also, saying it makes the phone slower or has features that are inferior to other Android UI's.

In the end, whatever a phone comes with, people always want something else. Sense users want vanilla Android. Vanilla Android users want Sense. TouchWiz users want Sense or vanilla Android. The grass is always greener..

flashman03

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I understand how each version has its differences between the carriers. Some of that has to be on the carriers though, like Bing search on the Fascinate. I do think people do like options and the way Samsung has managed their system and so far lack of source have made people very discouraged. But there are TW tweaks that have been made to really help it out. I just think a lot of complaints come from people who don't want to root because of warranty or lack of knowledge and are stuck with TW in its original form.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
By the way, a little off topic but I didn't want to create an entire new thread for it. Has anyone else noticed that if you swipe left or right on a contact, it'll quick call or message them? It also works in the messaging app. I feel stupid for just now noticing this...

dpperk29#AC

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Here's a good one, if you swipe left and right on the pull down (without pulling it down) you can change the screen brightness (I am running a Captivate with Cognition 2.4.1)

CrimsonPride

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
Here's a good one, if you swipe left and right on the pull down (without pulling it down) you can change the screen brightness (I am running a Captivate with Cognition 2.4.1)

you may need to update to the newer cognition, ive heard people had pretty improved battery life with it

but i feel the same way as everyone else. i dont mind touchwiz. i think 99% of people dont like touchwiz because they have heard other people say they dont like touchwiz. i dont like sense though, not at all

that being said i am running perception build 6, which uses vanilla android and i do like it, except for it only having the browser and the phone app on the dock. but it does seem to be the fastest so i stick with it

flashman03

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
By the way, a little off topic but I didn't want to create an entire new thread for it. Has anyone else noticed that if you swipe left or right on a contact, it'll quick call or message them? It also works in the messaging app. I feel stupid for just now noticing this...

Wow, I don't think you are stupid for just now noticing that. That is one of the good things I like about TW!!! I am surprised you have never noticed because of the message that pops up when first going to contacts. Or at least it did for me.

dpperk29#AC

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
you may need to update to the newer cognition, ive heard people had pretty improved battery life with it

I know, I really should but I like this build and my battery gets me through the day pretty easily. I am pretty new to the ROM flashing stuff and after a rocky start am hesitant to start screwing with it now that it is working correctly.

Verdes8891

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I actually like the stock Touchwiz on my Captivate. I like HTC Sense better though.

Currently on my Captivate i am running the ADW Launcher to get a new feel to it.

dmnall

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
TW is not bad, my only complaint is that it is slow on the Captivate, and it looks too much like the iPhone GUI! Now there are features in TW that I like for example the Call and Messaging a Contact by swiping left or right for either function is great! One thing I like is using Launcher Pro and still getting to use the TW feature on the Contacts! I have Tried Vanilla, TW, Sense, ADW and Launcher Pro and I always go back to Launcher Pro on the captivate and I would use it on an HTC device *sense is cool*. Just my $ 0.02!

Cheers,
Charlie

fldude99

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Why does touchwiz look like Iphone? I think all these touch devices look like the Iphone. They were the 1st really and everybody else just wants to be like Mike. And really, what's the knock on "looking like the Iphone"? anyways?

chrisharmful

Aug 2, 2010
Visit site
I forgot who said it, but someone on Buzz Out Loud (CNET) said that stock android looked like Windows 95,and I hate to say it but it kinda does. That being said, I do prefer the stock android launcher since running Cognition/Perception. But there really wasn't anything wrong with Touchwiz, I think it's better than Sense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith