Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Sammy's to get Gingerbread???

Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    ROM
    KitKat 4.4 Stock Android

Well after the debacle here with Froyo, it would be a nice gesture, but I will believe it when I see it.

Remember, Samsung is now the maker of the Google phone (Nexus S/2). So this is a very real possibility

Global Posts
    4,142 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I can only hope this is true, but I’m not holding my breath. If this does come to fruition, God only knows how long it’ll be held up by the carriers, though.

New York Giants | New Jersey Devils | Colorado Avalanche | New York Knicks
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,727 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

Common sense tells me it is true. However, black man X doesn't specify what galaxy S devices. We all know if the nexus 2 is a samsung galaxy series, then his tweet is right on, and the nexus 2 (sammy galaxy) will indeed have gingerbread before moto and HTC. I wish the sgs that is accross all carries got gingerbread first, but that would mean no pure google phone, and gingerbread would only be network flavored (ewe). You be the judge.

It would be nice and cool to brag to my Evo friends, that I have Gingerbread, but I just doubt that my captivate will see it.

Global Posts
    171 Global Posts

At this point, I'm not even sure my Captivate will see Froyo.

Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    ROM
    CM7

It would be so cool if this really happened, but I'd hate to get my hopes up....

Sammy's been such a disappoint in the past. (then again, maybe they want to prove to everyone that they can do better! haha)

Global Posts
    24 Global Posts

I hate to say it but between ATT and Samsung I think it will be this time next year when (or if or ever) we see 2.3. By then Android 3.0 will be on all the new phones. I am begining to think that 2.2 Froyo stock is a fantasy.
    Last edited by jpinks; 12-06-2010 at 04:55 PM. Reason: clarification

Not to be a buzzkill but I think the only way the Captivate, or any of the other Galaxy S phones will get gingerbread is through a laked version that a developer gets his hands on and bakes up a rom around it. Between the few leakes for the Captivate, and the lead for the Epic that Sprint just told people not to install, we are pretty much on our own in terms of updates. Which sucks, cause I'm bored of the Froyo leaks already.

They better push the 2.3 update quick
    though it would be easy to mod the nexus rom since its basically a galaxy

but if we dont get 2.2 before the new year expect the 2.3 to be almost ready and att just not wanting 2 huge updates in a little amount of time

Quote Originally Posted by _Zguy__ View Post
    though it would be easy to mod the nexus rom since its basically a galaxy
    Someone is already getting a team together to do this for the Epic - perhaps Captivate devs will do the same

I just want my GPS to work, so whatever it will take. Froyo, Gingerbread, Snickerdoodle, C3PO.......I don't care as long as GPS works.

this thread is quite funny...

Global Posts
    191 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Griffspen View Post
    I just want my GPS to work, so whatever it will take. Froyo, Gingerbread, Snickerdoodle, C3PO.......I don't care as long as GPS works.
    Snickerdoodle!
    hahahha!

My gps finally works with cog rom
    Stock had no gps at all

ROM
    Perception 10.3/Tester

Caps will get Froyo no doubt about that but the real question is, will we see it this month on next? I gave up on the waiting game and went to the DG side and am running P8. GPS lock is AMAZING! I can now actually use my navigation without it telling me i'm on the wrong road. As for Ginger... probably but we don't even have an official push of Froyo yet. Epic's jus received their official OTA and Canada's launch is closing fast... Guess the USA is truely behind.
    Death is only the beginning

Quote Originally Posted by c0ldburn3r View Post
    Guess the USA is truely behind.
    Well of course the US is behind, the beauty of it for these corporations is that the majority of their customers don't even realize they're behind, so they don't feel pressured to make any changes as long as their customers are satisfactorily mislead into thinking they're up to date.

ROM
    Perception 10.3/Tester

Quote Originally Posted by Porkchop Flavored Cupcake View Post
    Well of course the US is behind, the beauty of it for these corporations is that the majority of their customers don't even realize they're behind, so they don't feel pressured to make any changes as long as their customers are satisfactorily mislead into thinking they're up to date.
    Haha, so true! AT&T is still sucking the Apple core and hoping that they will keep the cash flow from that bandwagon. Next month Verizon gets the Iphone so that time is over. They need to embrace the droid os, More apps are being made for it. From what I know dev's rather build for droid. I mean come on, Frostwire and Crossloop now have droid apps... no crapple.
    Death is only the beginning

HOORAY! We will get Gingerbread!!!!!!

Twitter / Samsung Mobile India: @juranandi Gingerbeard wil ...

...eventually