New Android User

puja_g

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I've never used an Android phone before and I've been in love with my blackberry for a few years now.. But I'm getting bored and tired of the same crap RIM keeps producing..

I'm thinking about getting the Samsung Captivate, I never thought I'd go for a droid let alone one without flash for the camera..

But I've noticed some people saying something about the "full charge notification"?

Will the phone stop charging once its at it's full charge? I have a very hard time sleeping, so having anything waking me up in the middle of the night will be my worst enemy :x

On my Blackberry i go to sleep while on the phone.. So I was wondering if that would be a problem while charging?

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, I've never posted anything on here either, ha. :eek:

But any help would be appreciated, thanks!

know1

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
I've only heard the full charge notification 2 times on my phone. I think if you keep the system volume all the way down, you won't hear it.

That being said, I wouldn't buy the Captivate. I'm completely frustrated by the lack of OS updates - Gingerbread is out next week and we do not even have Froyo yet - that this will be my last Samsung phone.

Reactions: puja_g

puja_g

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the quick reply. I'm not due for an upgrade till the end of January.. Soo I'm hoping that AT&T will have just as good of an Android phone by then, if not.. I'm still going to try the Captivate.. I was Captivated :p by it since the first time I saw it, I love the size of the screen and the way everything is, but I'm still very nervous on buying this phone, since everyone's having so many problems with it.. :/

But once I do get it, I hope I don't get that system notification ^^

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the quick reply. I'm not due for an upgrade till the end of January.. Soo I'm hoping that AT&T will have just as good of an Android phone by then, if not.. I'm still going to try the Captivate.. I was Captivated :p by it since the first time I saw it, I love the size of the screen and the way everything is, but I'm still very nervous on buying this phone, since everyone's having so many problems with it.. :/

But once I do get it, I hope I don't get that system notification ^^

My GF has this phone and she loves it, by January they will def have the update out and im sure many bugs worked out. If you like it then go for it, its a great phone and the screen is beautiful. Good luck

puja_g

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
That's what I was hoping for as well. But since the Motorola Olympus will be coming out next month or so, I think I'll just wait for that.. Though, I heard it doesn't have an AMOLED display and it has Motoblur.. I'm not familiar with it, I just know I don't like the way it looks, ha..

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
That's what I was hoping for as well. But since the Motorola Olympus will be coming out next month or so, I think I'll just wait for that.. Though, I heard it doesn't have an AMOLED display and it has Motoblur.. I'm not familiar with it, I just know I don't like the way it looks, ha..

Yeah i dont think i can go back to using anything other than an OLED screen. Looking at my Droid X is depressing, infact im going to sell it to my coworker.

c0ldburn3r

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I've only heard the full charge notification 2 times on my phone. I think if you keep the system volume all the way down, you won't hear it.

That being said, I wouldn't buy the Captivate. I'm completely frustrated by the lack of OS updates - Gingerbread is out next week and we do not even have Froyo yet - that this will be my last Samsung phone.

If you are truely into droids who cares about the official updates. The custom rom's blow them out of the water and they have all the gps fixes and are AMAZINGLY fast. Galaxy S phones are still one of the top, so Sammy is slow on the updates, who cares. We will receive gingerbread but to be honest I will stick with the customs over stock anyday.

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
If you are truely into droids who cares about the official updates. The custom rom's blow them out of the water and they have all the gps fixes and are AMAZINGLY fast. Galaxy S phones are still one of the top, so Sammy is slow on the updates, who cares. We will receive gingerbread but to be honest I will stick with the customs over stock anyday.

Unfortunately it's not that simple. People get frustrated because they have a very valid argument that they shouldn't HAVE to Flash a ROM or Root or anything like that to get an ordinarily basic function of the phone to work properly. Albeit I think Samsung gets too much heat from people, particularly the Android community, but regardless it's still a valid concern.

c0ldburn3r

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately it's not that simple. People get frustrated because they have a very valid argument that they shouldn't HAVE to Flash a ROM or Root or anything like that to get an ordinarily basic function of the phone to work properly. Albeit I think Samsung gets too much heat from people, particularly the Android community, but regardless it's still a valid concern.

True. I still think the Nexus S has something to do with the major delay. Trust me I was frustrated everyday in November when I checked Kies and there was nothing. I gave up. How long has Froyo been out? A full year now? 6-8 months Galaxy S phones have been out... redunkulous. Even with the sour taste of no update I still enjoy my phone. I just love how more and more companies are making droid apps. I mean I can remote into my pc from my droid. Screw you Apple. :D

puja_g

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Yeah i dont think i can go back to using anything other than an OLED screen. Looking at my Droid X is depressing, infact im going to sell it to my coworker.

I don't think I'd mind too much. Coming from a blackberry we don't nice fancy screens like android or ios either. Even though I know what the captivate screen looks like and I'm totally in love with the phone itself, I'll probably either wait till the official Froyo update or Try out the Olympus :3

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
I actually thought that the first time I switched from BlackBerry to Android, and man was I wrong. The more time I spent with a hi-resolution screen the more other screens actually hurt my eyes to look at, and that’s especially true now with sAMOLED. I look at other LCD, sLCD or even AMOLED screens and think it looks so washed out.

Granted, you may never truly care. But that was just my experience.

puja_g

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I actually thought that the first time I switched from BlackBerry to Android, and man was I wrong. The more time I spent with a hi-resolution screen the more other screens actually hurt my eyes to look at, and that?s especially true now with sAMOLED. I look at other LCD, sLCD or even AMOLED screens and think it looks so washed out.

Granted, you may never truly care. But that was just my experience.

I'm worried about that too, but I guess time will tell :3

puja_g

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Besides gps there are no real common problems just annoyed users who want everything and anything

I don't even use the GPS function on my BB, maybe once in a while. So I'm not too worried about that, but mainly because of random shut downs and random beeping when the phone is charged. If they get fixed then I might just take the captivate instead of the Olympus, because Motoblur turned me off completely and it's highly upsetting, cause I loved the look of the phone :(