Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #26  

Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    ROM
    di11i's v5.5 Blue

Quote Originally Posted by ragnarokx View Post
    Here's a good place to start:
    Thanks, ragnarokx. That link has put me on a road to a brighter future. I've owned the device for about 72 hours, and I've rooted my phone, backed up my apps with Titanium Backup, used ROM Manager to backup my stock ROM, and flashed Cognition v2.3b6. Outstanding phone, outstanding forum support.

GPS was an issue, but found a fix for that. Overall, very, very happy with my phone.

Got my Captivate (AT&T World Edition) this morning. Such a beautiful phone.

I'm so tempted to root it/upgrade it's ROM, but after the issues I had with my Motorola Cliq XT I'm gonna just leave it as is for now.

Gotta say I'm blown away by the screen and the battery life...shames my Cliq XT!! Now just to get a nice case and I'm set.

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Quote Originally Posted by Bender5001 View Post
    Got my Captivate (AT&T World Edition) this morning. Such a beautiful phone.

I'm so tempted to root it/upgrade it's ROM, but after the issues I had with my Motorola Cliq XT I'm gonna just leave it as is for now.

Gotta say I'm blown away by the screen and the battery life...shames my Cliq XT!! Now just to get a nice case and I'm set.

Sweet congrats,,, yeah the screen is pretty amazing, what you should do is load up really colorful HD pictures onto your phone you will love it

I've come over from Blackberry and I have used the Captivate for about a week. There are many features that I really like, but I miss the physical keyboard of the BB. I guess time will help me get use to the touchscreen. I really like the flexibility of the operating system and look forward to learning more about it and the things I can do.

ROM
    AOKP ICS 4.0.4

I'm also a new Captivate owner...I got mine on the 18th. My wife has had her's since mid-October but I didn't bother messing with it. I haven't rooted yet but I did upgrade to Froyo. My previous was a iPhone 3G, so I have ZERO complaints. Battery life is a bit disappointing but charging isn't a huge deal for me.

Hi everyone, I got my Captivate about a month ago and I am very excited at the possibilities with this phone. I am taking baby steps with it and am looking to get the most out of it without screwing it up. Already rooted the phone and add the lag app and that alone is a big difference in how it performs. I will be looking to change the ROM on it since so many people seem to be happier after doing that. Any suggestions would be welcomed, see you all around the boards....

ROM
    Cog 4.2.2 SHO

Cool

Sup folks?

I got my Captivate a few months ago, and have casually been playing around with it since. I chucked it down a flight of steps, and am now on my second, non-commitment device. I'm rooted, lagfixed, etc etc... everything but running a custom ROM.

While it is DEFINITELY appealing, I've swapped my Captivate and Bold 9700 so that my Captivate is my primary phone and only take the Bold when absolutely needed. This means I can't afford any downtime should something go wrong, or a certain feature act up and/or not work properly. I'm a small business owner (x3), so my connectivity is ESSENTIAL!

I've currently got it talking to my company's Exchange 2010 server (K9 client), my own personal Google Apps domain as well as my vanilla Gmail account.

I'm always eager to learn what I can from others, and hope I can help anyone out with any of my experiences and knowledge!

Global Posts
    31 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.0.4

Hi all,

I just got my Captivate this week. It's my first experience with smartphones. So far, I'm loving what I can do with it. I've got a lot more playing around with, and learning to do I'm sure. But yeah, I gotta say, it's the best phone I've ever owned.

Wolfgar2k

Global Posts
    34 Global Posts

hey everyone! just got my rogers captivate 2 days ago, and haven't put it down yet! its my first android phone, and i came from a palm pre (first gen) which for its time was good, but it was getting slow and bogged down, so i thought i'd try this phone and it is a beast! i haven't lagfixed or rooted yet, because its already very fast! cheers!

I just purchased an At&t Captivate, still figuring out how everything works. Got rid of my iphone to come to android. Love it so far.

Default Another happy Captivate Newbie here!

Had my Captivate for a little over 2 weeks now and really liking it. I previously had a BB curve and liked it and really thought when I upgraded I would get a BB Torch...until I played with one at Best Buy and HATED IT!

Wandered over to the Samsung Display and played with the Captivate and fell in love. I researched and read every review I could find and finally got it and I love it!

I never considered the IPhone even though I have several friends that have one and they all were trying to convert me. I did not want to be another apple lemming! Some say I "went android" just to spite them...and they just might be right!

It did take me a bit to get used to answering on the touch screen and am still trying to master typing on it but I love it! Keep finding new apps I can't live without! And the camera is great too...wish it had a flash for night pics but I can live without it.

Glad to find a place to chat with fellow captivate and Android users.

Hello i just joined today! i just have two questions. Does the Captivate come with a SD card or will i have to buy one separate? And if the Captivate doesnt come with the SD card how much will just the phone hold?

Thanks

Jordan

ROM
    AOKP ICS 4.0.4

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Crispycone View Post
    Does the Captivate come with a SD card or will i have to buy one separate?
    It will be separate.

And if the Captivate doesnt come with the SD card how much will just the phone hold?
    16GB of internal storage.

Hi, all. Got my Captivate about a week ago, joined Android Central yesterday.

Loving this forum so far. Just reading a lot and trying to absorb it all.

PEACE!
    "Without music, life would be a mistake." ~ Friedrich Nietzsche.

Hi everyone,
    I just upgraded from Samsung Eternity to Captivate. Hope to get the most out of the phone. Newbie with android! I know that I come to the right place.

Nooferd :o)

ROM
    Cognition 4.3

Hello!

New to Android, other than the phone not working when I got it, sent to Samsung to have fixed, it's been a joy since I got it back. Just reading the forums to find answers now, lots to catch up on. Looks like AndroidCentral will be my touchstone for the new phone!!

Global Posts
    19 Global Posts

Hey all my name is Todd and i just picked up my Captivate a couple days ago, I switched from a Blackberry Bold 9700 and am LOVING it so far. Wasn't sure if I would like the non-physical keyboard but no problems there either. It is my first Android and I am certain it won't be my last. Sorry if I have alot of dumb questions as I am sure I will switching from BB after many years. I plan on Rooting and ROM in the future after the 30 days is up. Have been looking around the forums here for a while and looks like ALOT of good info. Thanks in advance to all.

Global Posts
    26 Global Posts

Default Hello Gang!

I won a bid on Cowboom for a Captivate, Im a first time Androider and am trying to figure it out, it came with phone only, I ordered chargers and screen protector from Amazon. I wouldnt know what I was doing if it was for this forum..KEEP it going

ROM

Switched from a Blackberry Bold 9000 to the Captivate. Lots to learn & from what I've seen here, this place will help lots.
    Thanks in advance to all.

Global Posts
    13 Global Posts

Mr or Mrs fedex person should drop off my captivate tomorrow. I"m coming from an Iphone 3GS and just sick and tired of not being able to customize the darn thing really. I know with CES there are a lot of cool new phones coming down the chute so I bought my phone without upping my contract (used). So here's to hoping for a few good months use and learning about android then if I want a new flashy phone later I can get one

Thumbs up

I had been a pretty dedicated Blackberry user for the past few years. A couple months ago I bought the Torch and really liked it at first, with the new style OS, faster browser, touch screen and physical keyboard (always was my dream to have both keyboards). Then I started to get bored with it. Same phone I've had for years with just a few extra bells and whistles. I didn't need it for business and I hardly used it for school purposes, and decided to open my mind to a world without blackberry.
    Most of my friends jumped the BB ship a while ago for the iPhone and now for the Android phones. After playing with both the iPhone and the Captivate, I decided the Captivate was for me, plus I already own an iPod and I like keeping my phone separate from my music (I would rather risk my iPod hitting the ground when exercising than my phone).
    Can't wait to go through the forum and learn all about this phone!

I thought I'd go ahead and post an introduction on this specific forum since I've been littering the place with posts and random thoughts/questions for the past week or so.

I bought my Captivate on the release date back in July as my original iPhone was starting to have problems with the display and I use my phone as my PDA/Drug reference while at work (I'm a pharmacist). I was set on the iPhone 4 but all of the antennae/easy to break issues scared me off. But I didn't know what to do since my wife was insistent that we stay on AT&T (don't ask me why).

I caught wind of the Captivate and it looked like a good choice (I was intrigued by Android) so I waited a couples weeks and picked it up. I ran it stock until about a week ago. In the mean time I had almost returned it around Thanksgiving because of the HORRIBLE lag I was experiencing (to the point where I often considering throwing the phone against a wall so I could get a new one). Thankfully the one knowledgeable person at Best Buy (who rocks a Fascinate) said "do this and this, and wait a month for 2.2," so I did.

Well, his tips made the phone bearable, but still no 2.2, so I said "F it, I'm doing it myself" and came back here (after signing up a while back and not participating at all). Between AC and XDA I've learned a lot, flashed some different ROMs, flashed a new kernel, learned how to (and how NOT to) back up with TiBu and customize with different launchers etc.

I must say that I now LOVE my phone and will likely be staying with Android indefinitely. I don't think I could ever go back to the stifling ways of an iPhone (still a great machine though obviously), I love being able to customize now that I'm over my fear of warranty voiding.

So thanks to everyone here for the help, hopefully I can offer some back in the future

Cheers,
    Tim

Decided to treat myself to an upgrade from my iPhone 3G. Considdred an iphone 4, but apple turned me off with the iOS update that made it nigh unusable. Sometimes i actually could not answer a phone call because it was so slow.

The final straw? Seeing a 10 year old with an iPhone 4. It has lost its caché.

So i decided to forego the inevitable iOS upgrade that will undoubtedly render the iphone 4 useless in 2 years.

I saw that AT&T was selling these refurbished for $9.99 and jumped at it.

I love the phone, but was disappointed to see that AT&T hasn't made 2.2 available yet. So i weighed the risks and decided to get it myself; I am glad I did - the Mobile AP (which AT&T will most assuredly nix in the "official" 2.2 release) is worth it.

I was able to keep my unlimited data that i had with the iphone, and my wife loves that she can use the ipad on the go now without having to pay extra.

Anyways, this forum is great!

Now if they ever start selling that new Motorola Atrix refurbished. . .

FYI - i haven't had any problems with the refurbished phone, expect it just shuts off randomly when fully charged. "Captivate Keep Alive" set for 85% has corrected that.

Also, now i can sync iTunes wirelessly - maybe this will convince my wife to abandon her 3G. I bet she's glad i never updated her phone to ios4.

ROM
    Stock

Will be getting my Captivate tomorrow. A friend of mine and I are trading; I've got an iPhone 4.

Short story: VERY fluent in *nix, am an IT professional for the government. I needed a phone that would integrate with their email system, as well as do standard smartphone stuff. At the time the Windows offerings were craptastic (as usual); and the only 2 Android offerings were the Motorola something-or-other (that one that flips) and the HTC Aria. Again, somewhat craptastic.

So I went with the iPhone 4. And to be fair, it's been absolutely great. Yes, it's a lot more locked down than many phones out there; but Apple products have long been locked down. Nothing new. It's done everything I've wanted it to and MORE...

...but had there been any Android offerings worth a darn from the get-go, I'd have gone with one. Well, now there is...and I am.

Not sure if I'll be rooting it; even non-rooted, the Captivate has more granular control than the iPhone has. But that's why I want one - does everything that the iPhone does (and more), and I'm more in control.

Also a recent convert from iOS to Android. So far I must say I like it. Most of the apps I had on the iPhone 3GS have corresponding android version, so it makes things much easier not having to learn new apps too. I like the level of control over what you can have on the various screens and how they are arranged. Seems much more user friendly than iOS.

Just stumbled on this forum and looking around to see what I can learn.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast