Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Let's see... I started with the Palm OS as part of the original beta test team. Long time ago. I just got fed up with Sprint, changed to AT&T, tried the agent's phone recommendation, then switched to Captivate. I had the same issue of random shut-off as I noticed in an earlier post. The replacement has been working fine.

This android stuff has sparked an interest. I know little of UNIX or Google code, but I feel like diving in as I did so many years ago with the PalmOS. I've noted a prevalence of free apps. Back in the '70's, it was all supposed to be free, an open exchange, each slightly improving the code. Hasn't worked that way. Maybe this arena will be different. I'm enjoying the diversity of offerings while looking to see what I can add.

This forum seems like a good place to start. ;-)

Global Posts
    1,596 Global Posts
    ROM
    Teamhacksung's ICS

I've had an Aria since just after launch, but recently had to replace the digitizer on it. While replacing that, the LCD was cracked, after which I said "F*ck it, I'm getting a Captivate". Ordered it last weekend, and it should be here tomorrow or sometime next week (we just had six inches of snow in Georgia, which shut down the state for a week, so UPS is running a tad bit behind). I'm really excited to get my hands on this thing, and put my Curve back in the drawer where it belongs.

Quote Originally Posted by ragnarokx View Post
    The next OS update (Froyo, Android 2.2) will actually have a 3G toggle - this will make it a lot easier than using those dialer codes. We are expecting this update any day/week now. If you check the Android Central front page or this forum, we'll be sure to let you know when it's released
    Just read that reply and it made me LOL.

ROM
    Shooter Beats

Hi i have had the captivate for a couple months now and i really dont know much about updating its firmware and stuff like that if someone could help, i am also a former Blackberry pearl 9100 user

Hello Everyone, New member, new phone here. I just got the Captivate last weekend, switched from an Iphone 3GS. This is a hard device to get used to coming from the Iphone! I have played around a bit and have managed to lock it up, lose the wifi, and have it quit connecting to my car, other than that, looking forward to making it a great device.

Global Posts
    4 Global Posts

Default hey

Just saying hi. I'm also new to Android. I've had my captivate since Nov. still running 2.1 update 1. I'm using adw launcher with the gingerbread theme so i don't appear to look too outdated. Considering letting my friend update me to 2.2

Hi everyone! I got my captivate for christmas of 2010 and love it. I've had smartphones in the past but I've never rooted it or downloaded new ROMS for it. So I'm completely new to all of this crazy customization, but I really want to root it and especially add froyo (which I'm trying to do as I type but having MAJOR difficulty). I'm just hoping my phone doesn't turn into a $200 dollar piece of crap! Anyways I love my phone and Android.

Thumbs down Hi All

New Captivate / Android user. Have been reading up on the Froyo 2.2 update. It is a JOKE how the U.S.A. Samsung / Captivate uses are being treated. The Canada version that was just upgraded did you see the nice "Information Bulletin" that was sent out to the customers.

Here is the link if you haven't seen it, and it looks like a full functioning Kies.

Thanks....AT&T and Samsung.
    Distinguished

Global Posts
    14,272 Global Posts

Default Samsung Captivate...

I've finally bought an Android device. I have to say thus far am impressed with the speed of the internet, among other things, like the DISPLAY!

So, thus far I've have a BlackBerry, iPhone, and now Android.

I guess I have to learn all this 'root' stuff...

BlackBerry's, Apples, Oranges, Android

ROM
    AOKP ICS 4.0.4

Welcome to AndroidCentral! Check out this informative thread: http://forum.androidcentral.com/t-ca...ow-thread.html
    Thanked by:

Default Wats up

So i got the Captivate to replace my old backflip. This phone jams out with its clam out. Its fast its light and great camera/camcorder ability. Im on it now. Before my backflip crashed and froze constantly so this is wicked awesome. My name is Bryan but my with Williams street,and you Tube and on steam is hydro. I will contribute as much as possible to android. Did i mention this phone is sick. Anyway next i will be rooting phone bit i wonder is it worth it and can u really add adobe 9 and firefox. Ill post when i try.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #63  

Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    ROM
    di11i's v5.5 Blue

Quote Originally Posted by blwhydr0 View Post
    So i got the Captivate to replace my old backflip. This phone jams out with its clam out. Its fast its light and great camera/camcorder ability. Im on it now. Before my backflip crashed and froze constantly so this is wicked awesome. My name is Bryan but my with Williams street,and you Tube and on steam is hydro. I will contribute as much as possible to android. Did i mention this phone is sick. Anyway next i will be rooting phone bit i wonder is it worth it and can u really add adobe 9 and firefox. Ill post when i try.
    Welcome to the world of Android. If you root, welcome to the world of the ROM flashing addiction. There are no support groups, and you will lose all track of time trying to bring out the awesomeness of your phone. Don't worry, though. It's worth it.

ROM
    Serendipity 6.1

Hi there,

I am a long time reader, first time poster. I've learned a lot from the forum here (including how to truly love my Cpativate and Android in general) and I've seen that yall probably won't bite, so I decided to say hey.

I work for an ATT dealer and I've tried every OS out there. I was actually a big Blackberry guy up until I tried the Motorola Bravo first, and now the Captivate. There's no turning back for me!!

ROM
    CM7

Default Hey

Hey everyone,

I've had my Captivate since September of 2010 (give or take a month). I consider myself a bit of an anomaly since I have a Macbook and iPad, yet LOVE my Android. I ended up with the Captivate by luck really. All iphones of any kind were sold when my old blackberry bit the dust, and I needed a new phone fast. Anyway, Here I am.

I just started reading these forums in the past few weeks after I got sick of waiting for updates from Samsung/ATT. In the past couple hours, I have rooted and upgraded to Froyo, and couldn't be happier so far!

ROM
    Serendipity 6.1

Quote Originally Posted by hellrod87 View Post
    Hey everyone,

I've had my Captivate since September of 2010 (give or take a month). I consider myself a bit of an anomaly since I have a Macbook and iPad, yet LOVE my Android. I ended up with the Captivate by luck really. All iphones of any kind were sold when my old blackberry bit the dust, and I needed a new phone fast. Anyway, Here I am.

I just started reading these forums in the past few weeks after I got sick of waiting for updates from Samsung/ATT. In the past couple hours, I have rooted and upgraded to Froyo, and couldn't be happier so far!
    Hi there! Did you flash the leaked froyo or another custom rom?

ROM
    CM7

Quote Originally Posted by thunderstar2500 View Post
    Hi there! Did you flash the leaked froyo or another custom rom?
    Leaked Froyo. I hadn't looked into custom ROMs very much, and didn't even know which ones to look at. I am definitely interested though.

ROM
    Serendipity 6.1

Quote Originally Posted by hellrod87 View Post
    Leaked Froyo. I hadn't looked into custom ROMs very much, and didn't even know which ones to look at. I am definitely interested though.
    I would personally recommend a custom rom. The leaked froyo is quite buggy and slow. Add to that the fact that it's not supported by anyone.

If you're looking for a great rom to start with, I'd like to throw Andromeda 1.2 your way. It's, in my opinion, what the Captivate would be like on stock froyo without Samusng's "enhancements."

ROM
    Cognition 4.3

I'd agree with thunderstar2500 that Andromeda 1.2 is probably the closest to stock. Cognition 3.04 if you want something a bit fancier or Serendipity 5.10 if you want to see how fast you cappy can move!

Honestly, you can not go wrong with any custom rom that I've tried, it's more a matter of what you like best.

ROM
    Rooted Captivate

Just got my Captivate. I really like it. being able to customize the way i use it is really cool. My only problem is I can't seem to be able to connect it to my mac. It charges when I connect it with the usb, but my mac does not register that my phone is connected. any help would be appreciated.

New owner, just got the 2.2 update via Samsung for ATT. I was about this close to rooting my phone as I was getting impatient with ATT. I got my phone for free as I been with ATT a long time and felt they had no business charging me a upgrade fee for a new phone. So after some nasty emails, customer service caved in and let me go for free as I was about to jump ship to another carrier. I did get the Experia 10 but after reading ATT was dropping that phone in March I again got p*#se off and used my buyers remose and went with the Captivate. So glad I did. My 2.2 upgrade went smooth, less than 5 minutes and all my previous data was saved. Love this phone now. Sometiems ya gotta stand your ground and not let the big boys walk all over you to get what you want.

I wanted to add a quick item here. While ATT does make you buy a data plan, you can still get by on a minimum data plan and keep your bill at $60.00 bucks with texting if you just stay near wifi or use wifi in your house. For the two months I have used my phone, my data usage as been a big fat goose egg! (or so low the bar did not move on my usage file)

Default Aloha

Greetings & Salutations,

My first post on Android Central. I've been a Blackberry user for going on 4 years now and my Curve 8310 is on its last legs. After weeks of research, I decided to go with the Samsung Captivate; my decision was aided after finding out that ATT is now shipping them with Froyo 2.2. I ordered it today and should get the phone by Wednesday latest.

I guess my big question is if I should root the phone. What are the advantages/disadvantages? Does Froyo solve a lot of the issues I was reading about 2.1 i.e. GPS, phone suddenly turning off, etc.?

Anyway, I look forward to socializing and picking the brains of all you Droid professionals here...thanks in advance!

Global Posts
    1,596 Global Posts
    ROM
    Teamhacksung's ICS

Quote Originally Posted by Red Barchetta View Post
    Greetings & Salutations,

My first post on Android Central. I've been a Blackberry user for going on 4 years now and my Curve 8310 is on its last legs. After weeks of research, I decided to go with the Samsung Captivate; my decision was aided after finding out that ATT is now shipping them with Froyo 2.2. I ordered it today and should get the phone by Wednesday latest.

I guess my big question is if I should root the phone. What are the advantages/disadvantages? Does Froyo solve a lot of the issues I was reading about 2.1 i.e. GPS, phone suddenly turning off, etc.?

Anyway, I look forward to socializing and picking the brains of all you Droid professionals here...thanks in advance!
    Ah, the good old 8310. I've put that thing through hell, and I had to steal some parts off of a broken one, but it keeps kicking.

Rooting gives you more control over your device. I would use it stock for a little bit to see how you like it, and take the time to learn about all the options. Froyo fixes those problems for some people, so your experience may vary.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast