Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Default Re: New Captivate Owners / Android Users - Introduce Yourselves H

First phone...
    Got it yesterday...
    Love it so far...

hi all! Just got my captivate, i absolutely love it. If anyone has any reccomendations for me app wise, please let me know. Thanks

I got my Captivate about 1 year ago. This is my 2nd Captivate, as the 1st one bricked during the last update. I still have not restored all my contacts. I like my Captivate and it has been useful, and has avoided crashing, and has not dropped any calls [that I'm aware of], and so far it has done everything that it the prerelease hype said it would do. I am getting somewhat resentful about AT&T not providing gingerbread on a timely basis. And, because of the diliatory manner in which AT&T operates, I have 2nd thoughts about upgrading to the Galaxy S2, when my current contract expeires. Have a nice day.

Hi... My names BaN & Im a droid junkie.

Im new to the droid. But Ive had the phone for about 3 months and am learning more and more about it everyday. I dont have service with AT&T.. But the phone does have a sim card in it. And the phone does everything I need without the voice service... (WiFi, MP3, Camera).. All the goodies really. Its running Froyo 2.2.. Can I update it to something newer? And how hard is it to add a rom and root it so I can further customize this badboy?

ROM
    Black★Star & AEON

Newbie here, replaced my BB last week for my Captivate, was a BB user for years (AT&T)....and tried the iphone (not impressed ). So far loving the Android OS , tons more that I can accomplish than with the BB os. Just rooted my Froyo 2.2 this past weekend, now have even more apps . Should of made the move years ago

Hi everyone! A Captivate user for a year now, and looking to update this bad boy.

Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    ROM
    4.1.1 rooted stock

Default Just came over to Android from Blackberry

After continued brick, nuke, and QC problems, I finally had to concede that RIM no longer delivers a device I can be happy with. I've used RIM devices for years (pearl, curve, 9000, 9800) and never thought I'd be one of those who posted that I'm done with BB, but I am.

I'm not yet far enough into my AT&T contract to qualify for an upgrade so I picked up an AT&T I897 Samsung Captivate for a decent price off CL because the owner was tired of the GPS failures and lag issues. It was loaded with Froyo when I got it and after using it for a few days I must admit that I honestly thought of going back to my BB 9800. The Captivate was really laggy and performance was not what I would have expected considering the hardware in the phone. Rather than ditching it, I decided to hit Google and join up here at Android Central and see what I could do to get the device running better. After doing some searching, I decided to upgrade it to Gingerbread UCKF1 2.3.3 using Odin and following advice from a site I found online.

The upgrade went off without a hitch. Now I'm running Gingerbread 2.3.3 UCKF1, kernel 2.6.35.7-I897UCFK1-CL273832. The change to the Captivate was dramatic to say the least. Lag is almost non-existent, overall performance of wi-fi is excellent, GPS locks on pretty quick, call quality is very good. So far one week since the upgrade and everything seems very stable. It's taking me a while to get used to the touch KB and the shorter battery life versus my old BB. Since the upgrade, performance is very close to my Wife's HTC Inspire. I finally feel good about the device and the BB 9800 is sitting in a drawer collecting dust. I'll miss the physical KB and most of all the notification LED on the BB but so far no issues with the Samsung phone even after loading up some apps and my old eyes love the great display.

Thinking now about rooting. Any suggestions for a good program to use to root 2.3.3?
    Desert Southwest HOT!

Global Posts
    360 Global Posts

Long time BB user: curve,9000,9800,9810. Got fed up with poor call quality in my apartment and my son is loaning me his Galaxy S to see if I like android. I will be checking it out for a while.

Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    ROM
    4.1.1 rooted stock

Quote Originally Posted by dagda1 View Post
    Long time BB user: curve,9000,9800,9810. Got fed up with poor call quality in my apartment and my son is loaning me his Galaxy S to see if I like android. I will be checking it out for a while.
    Welcome Your story is very similar to mine. I "was" a long time BB user too, Pearl, Curve, Bold 9000, Torch 9800. I had no call quality issues but just found myself fed up with the small screen, so-so browser, and poor build quality of my last two BB's. I went through four 9000's in a year and three 9800's in less than a year. I'm not rough on phones, the BB build quality was just not good.

Picked up a nice used Captivate of CL to try the Android OS and at first it was a bit tough. Hardest part was getting used to the touch KB. For the first week or so I really missed that physical KB on the BB as I never really used it on my 9800 but finally got used to the touch KB . Second was the lack of a notification light, now I can say that I really don't miss it that much. I no longer feel the "need" to rush and check when I saw that light. I will admit that IMO the BB OS makes it way easier to personalize your contacts. I find Android to be harder to set up different rings and notifications for different contacts. The Android phones IMO don't even come anywhere close to a BB for battery life so I keep a charger handy. Kinda sucks but I deal with it.

It's been a couple of months now and I've moved on from the Cappy to the Samsung Infuse and love the big screen. I've flashed a custom ROM (Infused 2.3.3) on the Infuse and now keep the Cappy for a spare phone. I just upgraded the Captivate to Gingerbread 2.3.5 and it's working good.

To be honest, I can't see myself going back to BB anytime in the near future. I think RIM is stuck in the past right now. I'd hate to see them go under but they are falling way behind Android, Apple, and Windows phone right now and I seriously doubt that RIM can come back big without major shake up's within the company.

Enjoy the Galaxy S my guess is that you won't look back.
    Desert Southwest HOT!

New Captivate owner here, I love the device and am having lots of fun with it so far. Looking forward to learning more about it here in the forums.

Got my phone as a gift and loving it so far. I will be reading all your posts to learn more about my phone. The move from crackberry to droid has not been bad!

Smile Re: New Captivate Owners / Android Users - Introduce Yourselves H

Hi, don't have this phone yet, trying to decide. Reading the messages and asking questions.

Hoping to read all the pros and cons.

I have a samsung mythic, no problems with it. But want a larger screen and wifi.

I just bought this phone off Ebay and have been messing with it. It is replaceing the iPhone 3G, so although I'm new to Android, so far I really like the experience. It appears that this phone is still 2.1, so I will be doing multiple upgrades to get it to GB 2.3 and see how it goes from there. I have really enjoyed all of the info available here on AndroidCentral. Thanks,

Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    ROM
    4.1.1 rooted stock

Quote Originally Posted by undertekker View Post
    I just bought this phone off Ebay and have been messing with it. It is replaceing the iPhone 3G, so although I'm new to Android, so far I really like the experience. It appears that this phone is still 2.1, so I will be doing multiple upgrades to get it to GB 2.3 and see how it goes from there. I have really enjoyed all of the info available here on AndroidCentral. Thanks,
    Check out. Serendipity VII I'm running that on my Cappy and so far really like it. its a very stable ROM.
    Desert Southwest HOT!

Global Posts
    7 Global Posts

Smile Re: New Captivate Owners / Android Users - Introduce Yourselves H

Hi I am not new to android as I have had htc inspire, motorola backflip, samsung infuse, and really love android I did have a iphone 3gs for awhile but am back with android. I am expecting my cappy any minute now and cant wait to try it out. I know it is not the newest and brightest out there now but I think it will do me good and I cant afford the SGII right now as I am not eligible for an upgrade till 2013. Have been reading all the posts and such but wont be rooting as the infuse was bricked with my attempts at rooting and had to be sold as is to someone who knows enough to fix it. take care

Beware of Dragons for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup!!

Hi gang. Had my Captivate since 1/1/11. Got what I understand is an odd build, #1009.
    Popped in here to learn how to root and upgrade.
    Currently with AT&Ts Gingerbread load and putting up with the tethering problem but on the temporary fix.
    Looking forward to learning a good bit about the Android OS. I'm a control system engineer by trade so this should be fun.
    Mike
    Mike
    Captivate build #1009
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    ROM
    4.1.1 rooted stock

Quote Originally Posted by OregonCaptive View Post
    Hi gang. Had my Captivate since 1/1/11. Got what I understand is an odd build, #1009.
    Currently with AT&Ts Gingerbread load and putting up with the tethering problem but on the temporary fix.
    Looking forward to learning a good bit about the Android OS. I'm a control system engineer by trade so this should be fun.
    Mike
    Welcome Mike If you haven't already done so, I highly suggest you purchase a "download jig" for your Cappy. It will save you some lonely night when a ROM update goes bad. I ran Serendipity VII on my Cappy and it was fast stable and solid. GPS was very good. highly recommended.
    Last edited by cmont13; 03-16-2012 at 09:18 PM.

Hi,

I've had my Captivate for about three months now, and I'm liking it a lot better than my old iPhone. I've upgraded to Gingerbread 2.3.5 (I897UCKK4) and rooted with the Corn kernel with CWM. I'm almost ready to flash a new ROM, but I want to do it right.

I like having the freedom to make my phone my own, and the iPhone didn't give me that option. Jailbreaking seemed too dangerous, so I put up with it until I got my Captivate (for 1&#162.

I'll probably be asking a lot of questions about flashing and various ROMs, so I'll probably be a PITA for a little bit.

Hi,
    Yes I'm new to Android's, in fact to smart phones period. Got my Cappy last August and recently discovered this forum. Been having tethering problems, but fixed that yesterday using all the tips here, doing the factory reset. Thing is I'm not new to programming, being a computer nerd/geek sort, so want to check more into what I can really do with this phone.

Been having problems with my network state since I updated to gingerbread. Keeps disconnecting when I switch to wifi at home (no wifi at work), so can't send msgs. I find that I have to turn off wifi, to get the connection again, but that is annoying. Looking here for a better fix.

My husband also has this phone and is completely clueless about things with it. So I have to help him and make things seamless and easy for him.

Hope you all can help.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    ROM
    4.1.1 rooted stock

Quote Originally Posted by irezloe217 View Post
    Add me to this list! Can't complain @ $50, and I get what I feel is a true upgrade from my old iPhone 3G...with the processor in the 3GS being better, the 4G and all the new Android phones were just giants in comparison. Now, I finally feel like I have a phone that is fitting for me, thankfully.
    The Cappy is a nice phone. When I had mine I loaded the Serendipity VII ROM on it. It turned it into an entirely different phone way faster smoother and more efficient. It worked so good I almost didn't wanna get rid of the phone but I wanted a larger screen so I picked up an infuse. Then I wanted a faster phone with a big screen so I picked up a skyrocket. Hmm I think I see a pattern developing!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Android Central Forums

Hello!
    I am on my third Samsung Captivate Galaxy S. The last two have had issues where the speaker phone craps out when using it for music or audio books. No idea why and AT&T seem determined that if they send me enough of the same phone, the problem will resolve itself. lol. I love the phone otherwise!

I have had my captivate for about8 months.now and it has replaced my computer. Running on 2.3. Hope for jellybean really soon. Don't buy this phone if your a major multitasker. Only 329 ram

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Android Central Forums

Default Re: New Captivate Owners / Android Users - Introduce Yourselves Here!

Hello,
    Had this phone for just over a year now and tired of it jerking down the road cuz it can't handle the load. I'm guessing the problem is the older phone running the latest OS and newer apps: just can't handle it. Also guessing that if it's opened up it might run a lot better. I've never done this......it's gonna be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by OregonCaptive View Post
    Mike
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345