New Captivate Owners / Android Users - Introduce Yourselves Here!

blwhydr0

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Wats up

So i got the Captivate to replace my old backflip. This phone jams out with its clam out. Its fast its light and great camera/camcorder ability. Im on it now. Before my backflip crashed and froze constantly so this is wicked awesome. :eek: My name is Bryan but my with Williams street,and you Tube and on steam is hydro. I will contribute as much as possible to android. Did i mention this phone is sick. Anyway next i will be rooting phone bit i wonder is it worth it and can u really add adobe 9 and firefox. Ill post when i try.

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
So i got the Captivate to replace my old backflip. This phone jams out with its clam out. Its fast its light and great camera/camcorder ability. Im on it now. Before my backflip crashed and froze constantly so this is wicked awesome. :eek: My name is Bryan but my with Williams street,and you Tube and on steam is hydro. I will contribute as much as possible to android. Did i mention this phone is sick. Anyway next i will be rooting phone bit i wonder is it worth it and can u really add adobe 9 and firefox. Ill post when i try.

Welcome to the world of Android. If you root, welcome to the world of the ROM flashing addiction. There are no support groups, and you will lose all track of time trying to bring out the awesomeness of your phone. Don't worry, though. It's worth it.

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Hi there,

I am a long time reader, first time poster. I've learned a lot from the forum here (including how to truly love my Cpativate and Android in general) and I've seen that yall probably won't bite, so I decided to say hey.

JediYank

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
I work for an ATT dealer and I've tried every OS out there. I was actually a big Blackberry guy up until I tried the Motorola Bravo first, and now the Captivate. There's no turning back for me!!

hellrod87

Feb 17, 2011
disrupt.fm
Hey

Hey everyone,

I've had my Captivate since September of 2010 (give or take a month). I consider myself a bit of an anomaly since I have a Macbook and iPad, yet LOVE my Android. I ended up with the Captivate by luck really. All iphones of any kind were sold when my old blackberry bit the dust, and I needed a new phone fast. Anyway, Here I am.

I just started reading these forums in the past few weeks after I got sick of waiting for updates from Samsung/ATT. In the past couple hours, I have rooted and upgraded to Froyo, and couldn't be happier so far!

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Hey everyone,

I've had my Captivate since September of 2010 (give or take a month). I consider myself a bit of an anomaly since I have a Macbook and iPad, yet LOVE my Android. I ended up with the Captivate by luck really. All iphones of any kind were sold when my old blackberry bit the dust, and I needed a new phone fast. Anyway, Here I am.

I just started reading these forums in the past few weeks after I got sick of waiting for updates from Samsung/ATT. In the past couple hours, I have rooted and upgraded to Froyo, and couldn't be happier so far!

Hi there! Did you flash the leaked froyo or another custom rom?

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Leaked Froyo. I hadn't looked into custom ROMs very much, and didn't even know which ones to look at. I am definitely interested though.

I would personally recommend a custom rom. The leaked froyo is quite buggy and slow. Add to that the fact that it's not supported by anyone.

If you're looking for a great rom to start with, I'd like to throw Andromeda 1.2 your way. It's, in my opinion, what the Captivate would be like on stock froyo without Samusng's "enhancements."

the3dgm

Dec 24, 2010
Visit site
I'd agree with thunderstar2500 that Andromeda 1.2 is probably the closest to stock. Cognition 3.04 if you want something a bit fancier or Serendipity 5.10 if you want to see how fast you cappy can move!

Honestly, you can not go wrong with any custom rom that I've tried, it's more a matter of what you like best.

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Just got my Captivate. I really like it. being able to customize the way i use it is really cool. My only problem is I can't seem to be able to connect it to my mac. It charges when I connect it with the usb, but my mac does not register that my phone is connected. any help would be appreciated.

floridadude1

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
:cool:New owner, just got the 2.2 update via Samsung for ATT. I was about this close to rooting my phone as I was getting impatient with ATT. I got my phone for free as I been with ATT a long time and felt they had no business charging me a upgrade fee for a new phone. So after some nasty emails, customer service caved in and let me go for free as I was about to jump ship to another carrier. I did get the Experia 10 but after reading ATT was dropping that phone in March I again got p*#se off and used my buyers remose and went with the Captivate. So glad I did. My 2.2 upgrade went smooth, less than 5 minutes and all my previous data was saved. Love this phone now. Sometiems ya gotta stand your ground and not let the big boys walk all over you to get what you want.

floridadude1

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I wanted to add a quick item here. While ATT does make you buy a data plan, you can still get by on a minimum data plan and keep your bill at $60.00 bucks with texting if you just stay near wifi or use wifi in your house. For the two months I have used my phone, my data usage as been a big fat goose egg! (or so low the bar did not move on my usage file)

Red Barchetta

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Aloha

Greetings & Salutations,

My first post on Android Central. I've been a Blackberry user for going on 4 years now and my Curve 8310 is on its last legs. After weeks of research, I decided to go with the Samsung Captivate; my decision was aided after finding out that ATT is now shipping them with Froyo 2.2. I ordered it today and should get the phone by Wednesday latest.

I guess my big question is if I should root the phone. What are the advantages/disadvantages? Does Froyo solve a lot of the issues I was reading about 2.1 i.e. GPS, phone suddenly turning off, etc.?

Anyway, I look forward to socializing and picking the brains of all you Droid professionals here...thanks in advance!

ls377

Aug 6, 2010
Visit site
Greetings & Salutations,

My first post on Android Central. I've been a Blackberry user for going on 4 years now and my Curve 8310 is on its last legs. After weeks of research, I decided to go with the Samsung Captivate; my decision was aided after finding out that ATT is now shipping them with Froyo 2.2. I ordered it today and should get the phone by Wednesday latest.

I guess my big question is if I should root the phone. What are the advantages/disadvantages? Does Froyo solve a lot of the issues I was reading about 2.1 i.e. GPS, phone suddenly turning off, etc.?

Anyway, I look forward to socializing and picking the brains of all you Droid professionals here...thanks in advance!

Ah, the good old 8310. I've put that thing through hell, and I had to steal some parts off of a broken one, but it keeps kicking.

Rooting gives you more control over your device. I would use it stock for a little bit to see how you like it, and take the time to learn about all the options. Froyo fixes those problems for some people, so your experience may vary.

Red Barchetta

Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Ah, the good old 8310. I've put that thing through hell, and I had to steal some parts off of a broken one, but it keeps kicking.

Rooting gives you more control over your device. I would use it stock for a little bit to see how you like it, and take the time to learn about all the options. Froyo fixes those problems for some people, so your experience may vary.

Thanks for the advice....keeping my fingers crossed that my Captivate doesn't turn on and off and has to be returned!

pzykotic#AC

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
I've been using Blackberries since before they were smartphones and in fact, since the word "smartphone" existed. I got an iPhone 3GS at some point, didn't like that and went back to my 9700. Recently I bought a Blackberry Torch but felt it looked kind of lame compared to what other phones on the market can do now so I took a deep breathe and bought my first Droid as of today - the Captivate.

I won't pretend this phone isn't extremely different but it's not too bad - to me an Android is like the best of Blackberry combined with the best of a jailbroken iPhone. The signal on the captivate is awesome and never waivers, the browser and apps are lightning fast. I guess you could say Android has become a new best little buddy for me too.

nguvu357

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
New user here coming over from an iphone 3GS. I'm having some problems with this phone but I'm hoping that I can get them resolved with the help of this forum. Overall, I'm still excited about my new toy.

treogangsta#AC

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
This is my first android phone. I coming from a pre plus. I found some instuctions to update my phone to froyo. but I'm having trouble rooting. I can't download superoneclick. also alot of the rom update guides say you need to have captivate drivers on your pc. how do you know if you have captivate drivers on your pc?

larrytxeast

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
Got my Captivate today, missing only the headphone, for only $225. Updating to 2.2 right now. A long-time Blackberry user, I also tried out the LG Optimus V, but Virgin Mobile's data service was practically non-existent.

I have tried out the following applications:

~Opera Mini (obviously, long-time user, love the speedy performance & it renders well)
~Advanced Task Killer (despite people's recommendations not to)
~Meebo IM (free), you can still Facebook chat through Jabber
~iPhone Keyboard Emulator (Sixgreen Labs)
~Seesmic (for status updates to Facebook, permits much longer entries vs the official app)
~AK Notepad (catch.com, on the LG, but as the Captivate includes a memos application, not sure I will need it here)

The 4" screen is bodaciously huge, good grief!

Going to try it out to see how I can live with the on-screen keyboard, as a long-time Blackberry user, it's a hard adjustment to make.

Last edited: