Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 31
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default My Captivate Continues Lagging! HELP!

    Not sure whats going on. Since I purchased my Captivate a few weeks ago, I've noticed that it freezes on me and sometimes the email push does not work, even though I have it set for every 5 minutes. Is there something wrong with my specific phone or is it something common with all these type? Thank you so much!
  2. #2  

    Default

    You could try the one click lagfix from the market.

    AoN
  3. #3  

    Default

    All modern electronics will lag every once in a while
    just don't try to overwork the phone and it should work fine
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

    Default

    I cannot do the lag fix update, for my phone is not rooted. I cannot root my phone, I'll void the waranty. Not sure if I should take the phone back. AT&T email appears not to be too compatible with the phone either.
  5. #5  
    dmnall's Avatar

    Posts
    254 Posts
    Global Posts
    643 Global Posts
    ROM
    Latest AOKP!

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Italeki View Post
    I cannot do the lag fix update, for my phone is not rooted. I cannot root my phone, I'll void the waranty. Not sure if I should take the phone back. AT&T email appears not to be too compatible with the phone either.
    Let's see you want the lag to stop, the issue is that Samsung and Att has bloatwared the phone down as well as the filesystem Samsung used for the phone. Rooting I dont see how that voids the warranty and ATT cannot tell if you rooted the phone or not via over the air. You can always flash back to Stock. I am not sure about with the fact that I flashed my phone to a leaked beta of Froyo but I am sure I can go back with out any issue. I would say just root it, there is always a way to go back and run the lag fix, which the phone just flys.

    As for At&t emails, is the account a Pop or imap account? It should work fine with the stock email client or even any other e-mail client. Or are you talking about the att email program like they have on non smartphones?

    HTH,
    Charlie
    Samsung Captivate - RIP 10-6-2011 Currently: Samsung Galaxy S2 i777 - Rooted, Sim Unlocked and soon to be debloated
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

    Default response

    Yes, the preset email icon app. I started using the stock client email programs that the market offers. Where can I go on the internet that I can root my phone the easiest way? Thanks a lot!!!
  7. #7  

    Default

    {12/24/2010 - updated; removed references to using OCLF for rooting, the latest version apparently doesn't support this function any more, Happy Xmas, AoN}

    Use the following app to unroot -



    But- as you are already aware, this may void your warranty. You should think whether you care about that before proceeding. That said, you can always UNroot, which probably cannot be detected.

    My advice would be if you do root, the FIRST thing you should do, is to install ROM Manager (also from the market), and make a backup-ROM of the phone in its current state. Then copy / move that backup to your PC (default storage is on the phone internal SD, too likely to get damaged / erased by accident).

    The reason for this is that you cannot go back to 'factory fresh' by installing another ROM. The danger of being rooted is not that you're rooted per se, but what you can DO (either intentionally, or otherwise) while rooted.

    I didn't make a backup of my phone when I should have (right at the start), and wish that I did. Too late for that, for me.

    Hope this helps, think about "Thanks" if it does, that makes me smile.

    AoN.
    Last edited by anneoneamouse; 12-24-2010 at 11:45 AM. Reason: Remove OCLF rooting suggestion
    Thanked by 4:
  8. #8  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Italeki View Post
    Not sure whats going on. Since I purchased my Captivate a few weeks ago, I've noticed that it freezes on me and sometimes the email push does not work, even though I have it set for every 5 minutes. Is there something wrong with my specific phone or is it something common with all these type? Thank you so much!
    What exactly do you mean by freeze? I see in the comments that it was assumed you meant lag, but freeze says "locked up" to me. If you are talking about the lag from scrolling the app drawer (or similar), that is solved with one of the various lag fixes. If it is locking up... that is another matter.

    There are some other mail clients you can try if that is the primary complaint. I recommend strongly however that you drink the Gmail koolaid and get it over with. The phone simply does gmail better than the rest, which is hardly surprising on Android.
  9. #9  
    know1's Avatar

    Posts
    170 Posts
    Global Posts
    171 Global Posts

    Default

    The biggest lag I ever had with mine was when I tried using browsers other than the stock.
  10. #10  

    Default Cognition ROM

    You could try to run a different ROM if you're gutsy enough to root. I'd recommend it myself, as you'll get a totally new appreciation for how great android really is and you'll realize how much AT&T and Samsung absolutely crippled this otherwise excellent phone.

    In my personal opinion, the Warranty is overrated, even for a brand-new phone. AT&T loves to find loopholes in it even if you DON'T root your phone, so you might as well do it. There are very simple ways to un-root if you want to take it back to AT&T looking like nothing is wrong.

    I considered keeping my phone stock, too. It got around 600-700 in Quadrant Standard using the stock interface. When I updated to the unofficial Froyo build, it got to 900-950. It still lagged all the time, though. The lag drove me CRAZY!

    Now that I've rooted it and replaced the stock TouchWiz with this Cognition ROM my friends and I found, it's an absolute monster at 1490-1600 (even beats out the Nexus One running 2.2+, according to Quadrant Standard).

    The Cognition ROM is great because it was designed for the Galaxy S phones and no other phone (Cryanogen or whatever, has multiple versions for every phone except the Galaxy S. Argh).

    I can't say enough about it. It removed all of the crapware that AT&T and Samsung forced on the phone. It smoothed out the lag that had me thinking iPhone was a good alternative. It has an excellent setup and although it took some work trying to get it on there, the results have been incredible.

    Here's a link to the Cognition instructions/download:



    If you're starting out stock, make sure you download the drivers so the Captivate can be recognized by your Windows 7 computer. Also, you'll want to follow the instructions carefully, but don't be fearful about making a mistake. I've made plenty and have YET to brick my phone.

    I honestly didn't believe there was a great phone hidden in my Captivate, but there is and it rocks! Rooting it is the only way to find it! Man up and do it!
    Thanked by 2:
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

    Default

    Thanks!!!
  12. #12  

    Default Any Progress?

    Hey,
    Did anyone else try this out?
    I really hope it worked out for the best for you. I'm a big fan of the Cognition ROM.
  13. #13  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by know1 View Post
    The biggest lag I ever had with mine was when I tried using browsers other than the stock.
    I had the same problem. Opera, Dolphin, etc all lagged horribly. The stock browser works the fastest thus far.

    Updating to 2.2 helped some of the lag. I guess I should probably get one of these lag-fix apps/updates myself
  14. #14  

    Default

    Here's a video I did of stock vs. lag-fixed a few months back. The difference is notable.

  15. #15  
    brian1269's Avatar

    Posts
    7 Posts
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts

    Default

    I have had the same problems with my Captivate. I was really trying to wait and see if Samsung/AT&T would release Froyo by the end of the year and see if that fixed all my problems, but it looks like that has been put on hold indefinitely. Unacceptable if you ask me.

    So I guess I am going to be forced to try to root it and flash one of these ROMs. Cognition that zukie mentioned sounds good. Any other ideas? And just so I can get my terminology straight, a ROM is just another interface, right? It doesn't change the OS, it's still 2.1?

    Just for kicks, I made a list of problems I have with my Captivate:


    Major lag and sometimes even locks up for minutes at a time.
    Multiple repeats of incoming text messages, sometimes up to 10 repeats.
    GPS radio comes on by itself intermittently, draining the battery.
    GPS does not work right, sometimes takes 10 minutes to lock onto signal for turn-by-turn direction, then loses signal easily and is not very accurate.
    Battery doesn't last over 10-15 hours even with light to moderate use. Even if I don't use phone at all, battery is dead in about 20-24 hours. A far cry from the up to 300 hours of standby and 5 hours 50 minutes of talk time you say it has.
    Can't connect to AT&T update server. It says "Communication failed." It was able to connect for a few times after I got it, but not since.
    Reboots by itself sometimes.
    When playing music with default player, it always sputters at beginning of songs.
  16. #16  
    Smokexz's Avatar

    Posts
    900 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,117 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default

    I have a Vibrant on froyo, it is pretty damn snappy, ocassional lab but that's all.
    Devices: Samsung Nexus S 4.0.1(alpha, of course), Samsung Vibrant 2.3.5 CM7 w/ Glitch Kernel v13, broken HTC Dream, and a Google Cr-48 with Ubuntu 11.10
  17. #17  

    Default Captivate Issues... Possible Solutions?

    Quote Originally Posted by brian1269 View Post
    I have had the same problems with my Captivate. I was really trying to wait and see if Samsung/AT&T would release Froyo by the end of the year and see if that fixed all my problems, but it looks like that has been put on hold indefinitely. Unacceptable if you ask me.

    So I guess I am going to be forced to try to root it and flash one of these ROMs. Cognition that zukie mentioned sounds good. Any other ideas? And just so I can get my terminology straight, a ROM is just another interface, right? It doesn't change the OS, it's still 2.1?

    Just for kicks, I made a list of problems I have with my Captivate:


    Major lag and sometimes even locks up for minutes at a time.
    Multiple repeats of incoming text messages, sometimes up to 10 repeats.
    GPS radio comes on by itself intermittently, draining the battery.
    GPS does not work right, sometimes takes 10 minutes to lock onto signal for turn-by-turn direction, then loses signal easily and is not very accurate.
    Battery doesn't last over 10-15 hours even with light to moderate use. Even if I don't use phone at all, battery is dead in about 20-24 hours. A far cry from the up to 300 hours of standby and 5 hours 50 minutes of talk time you say it has.
    Can't connect to AT&T update server. It says "Communication failed." It was able to connect for a few times after I got it, but not since.
    Reboots by itself sometimes.
    When playing music with default player, it always sputters at beginning of songs.
    Hey Brian,

    Hope that helps everyone. The Rom is all-encompassing. Cognition Rom runs 2.2 as the OS, but also changes the interface and gets rid of all that stupid crapware that no one really uses. If you're a fan of the Samsung widgets, keep in mind you'll be losing them with Cognition. Totally worth it.

    As for the battery issues, I've experienced them often. Even with Cognition, I still feel the need to charge my Captivate every day. Also, I decided after posting that I would download a task-killer, as it frequently likes to open apps without my specifically asking for them.
    If you want to improve the battery life, perhaps try disabling background data, and turn off notifications for things like gmail and twitter, etc. Facebook app is a big-time battery killer. I don't even keep it on my phone (P.S. I'm aware of the update, but I'm still not happy with it).
    Go through your apps and lower the notification refresh/update time (every 12 hours for an RSS reader, for example, instead of every hour).

    GPS issues are also fixed in the Cognition Rom, as far as I've been able to tell. It's still not as powerful or accurate as a Garmin or TomTom, but it also doesn't take 20 minutes to get a signal lock anymore. I can usually get it in about 20-30 seconds.

    As for the music player, I noticed in 2.1 that the lag was pretty brutal when I loaded my internal SD card with more music. Maybe try moving your music to an external 16-gig (pricey!) SD card. I haven't tried it yet, but once I get some scratch together, that will be next.

    Good Luck!
  18. #18  
    dmnall's Avatar

    Posts
    254 Posts
    Global Posts
    643 Global Posts
    ROM
    Latest AOKP!

    Default

    Well I was running Cognition 2.3b8 based off the beta of JJ4 but with the ucji6 Modem *which has a wifi turning on error periodically*. Now the Perception 9.5 *i959D aka i9000 based* is running even better, with out the wifi error, as well has hsupa support, and Bluetooth Voice Dial! GPS locks in around 12 seconds *what it has been lately for me*. There is no lag because of the Voodoo Lagfix *in both perception and cognition roms*.

    I would also recommend getting an external sd card for music, saves a lot of headaches, I did notice that with the internal sd card being almost full, can slow the phone down, but not soo much apparent with the vlf running.

    HTH,
    Charlie
    Samsung Captivate - RIP 10-6-2011 Currently: Samsung Galaxy S2 i777 - Rooted, Sim Unlocked and soon to be debloated
  19. #19  

    Default

    Thank you, Thank you, Thank you. Cognition has been a LIFE SAVER.

    I installed today 1-4-2011 and its like having a brand new phone. I was a bit tentative to install, but if you follow the guidelines, read ahead ensure you have everything set up and ready you will have no problems. Very well written instructions and it has vastly improved my phones performance and usage.

    Thank you again, Keep up the great work.
    Stabicus.
  20. #20  
    ads
    ads is offline
    ads's Avatar

    Posts
    95 Posts
    Global Posts
    166 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock ICS

    Default

    Another Cognition fan here, got tired of waiting on a Sammy official froyo ROM. Phone is great now. I was rebooting and killing stuff off daily, maybe rebooted a couple times since I did cognition over T-day. I didn't back up my apps, and honestly, since I had the phone since July, I'm glad I lost all the crap I'd loaded, just went back to the market and got what I really use, that may have helped too.
    The Sammy ROM is out overseas, shouldn't be long now for a US Captivate ROM, but I'll probably wait for a Cognition-based version at this point, no going back to the stock Sammy load, or worse, AT&T's version, whenever it comes out, for me.
    ADS
  21. #21  
    Razieltov's Avatar

    Posts
    31 Posts
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    ROM
    Syndicate ROM, Stock X2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brian1269 View Post
    I have had the same problems with my Captivate. I was really trying to wait and see if Samsung/AT&T would release Froyo by the end of the year and see if that fixed all my problems, but it looks like that has been put on hold indefinitely. Unacceptable if you ask me.

    So I guess I am going to be forced to try to root it and flash one of these ROMs. Cognition that zukie mentioned sounds good. Any other ideas? And just so I can get my terminology straight, a ROM is just another interface, right? It doesn't change the OS, it's still 2.1?

    Just for kicks, I made a list of problems I have with my Captivate:


    Major lag and sometimes even locks up for minutes at a time.
    Multiple repeats of incoming text messages, sometimes up to 10 repeats.
    GPS radio comes on by itself intermittently, draining the battery.
    GPS does not work right, sometimes takes 10 minutes to lock onto signal for turn-by-turn direction, then loses signal easily and is not very accurate.
    Battery doesn't last over 10-15 hours even with light to moderate use. Even if I don't use phone at all, battery is dead in about 20-24 hours. A far cry from the up to 300 hours of standby and 5 hours 50 minutes of talk time you say it has.
    Can't connect to AT&T update server. It says "Communication failed." It was able to connect for a few times after I got it, but not since.
    Reboots by itself sometimes.
    When playing music with default player, it always sputters at beginning of songs.
    10 to 15 hours? Thats pretty standard. I have never heard of a smartphone last longer than that. How long do you want your phone to last? Do you want it to build you an island and then transform into a jet to take you there? Do you want it to be indestructible? Do you want it to grant you three wishes even if one of those wishes is for an iphone 4? Get extra batteries. Get bigger batteries. 10 to 15 hours is great battery life. Charge the phone up at work.

    Get real. This phones have Ghz processor built in. Do you know how fast that is for a device that fits into the palm of your hand. I remember when cellphones didn't even have color screens. Battery technology hasn't improved much since those days.
  22. #22  
    brian1269's Avatar

    Posts
    7 Posts
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Razieltov View Post
    10 to 15 hours? Thats pretty standard. I have never heard of a smartphone last longer than that. How long do you want your phone to last? Do you want it to build you an island and then transform into a jet to take you there? Do you want it to be indestructible? Do you want it to grant you three wishes even if one of those wishes is for an iphone 4? Get extra batteries. Get bigger batteries. 10 to 15 hours is great battery life. Charge the phone up at work.

    Get real. This phones have Ghz processor built in. Do you know how fast that is for a device that fits into the palm of your hand. I remember when cellphones didn't even have color screens. Battery technology hasn't improved much since those days.
    OK that's a little uncalled for.

    How long do I expect a smartphone battery to last for? How about even 1/10 of the time they claim it should last. Samsung claims up to 300 hours standby, so how about 30 with light use? Does that sound unreasonable to anyone? And yeah, I have had smartphones that have lasted throughout the day easily, including Palms and my two previous iPhones (3G and 4), but no way I'm going back to any of them.


    Quote Originally Posted by zukie8082 View Post
    Hey Brian,

    Hope that helps everyone. The Rom is all-encompassing. Cognition Rom runs 2.2 as the OS, but also changes the interface and gets rid of all that stupid crapware that no one really uses. If you're a fan of the Samsung widgets, keep in mind you'll be losing them with Cognition. Totally worth it.

    As for the battery issues, I've experienced them often. Even with Cognition, I still feel the need to charge my Captivate every day. Also, I decided after posting that I would download a task-killer, as it frequently likes to open apps without my specifically asking for them.
    If you want to improve the battery life, perhaps try disabling background data, and turn off notifications for things like gmail and twitter, etc. Facebook app is a big-time battery killer. I don't even keep it on my phone (P.S. I'm aware of the update, but I'm still not happy with it).
    Go through your apps and lower the notification refresh/update time (every 12 hours for an RSS reader, for example, instead of every hour).

    GPS issues are also fixed in the Cognition Rom, as far as I've been able to tell. It's still not as powerful or accurate as a Garmin or TomTom, but it also doesn't take 20 minutes to get a signal lock anymore. I can usually get it in about 20-30 seconds.

    As for the music player, I noticed in 2.1 that the lag was pretty brutal when I loaded my internal SD card with more music. Maybe try moving your music to an external 16-gig (pricey!) SD card. I haven't tried it yet, but once I get some scratch together, that will be next.

    Good Luck!
    Thanks for the help, Zukie. You've convinced me, Cognition it will be. So Cognition runs Froyo, and not AT&T's bloated version, so does that mean I will be able to use tethering? And if I understand correctly, Cognition already has the lag fix in it so I won't have to worry about that? And if I already use AppBrain, that should backup all my apps, right? Thanks again.
  23. #23  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brian1269 View Post
    Thanks for the help, Zukie. You've convinced me, Cognition it will be. So Cognition runs Froyo, and not AT&T's bloated version, so does that mean I will be able to use tethering? And if I understand correctly, Cognition already has the lag fix in it so I won't have to worry about that? And if I already use AppBrain, that should backup all my apps, right? Thanks again.
    Tethering, including wifi AP, yes. Built-in lagfix yes. Appbrain sync... I have had poor results from. If you have paid for an app, the Market will remember. You will still have to go get it again though. Unpaid apps, you are out of luck.

    Titanium backup is what you want for backup of apps, and it also comes with Cog, though only the free version. I strongly recommend this first time making the move to a custom rooted ROM, that you make a list of your apps so you can be certain to get them all back the way you like again. Once you are on a rooted ROM, get TitBu installed, and it can do the grunt work going forward.

    EDIT- Restoring backups across OS changes is a no-no I recall. Likely you would be doing this manually even were you rooted with TitBu this time.
    You get to be the grunt the first time.
  24. #24  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Razieltov View Post
    Do you want it to build you an island and then transform into a jet to take you there? Do you want it to be indestructible? Do you want it to grant you three wishes even if one of those wishes is for an iphone 4?
    I'm really glad someone else liked that video.

    Brian, if you were wondering, the video came out around the same time as the Captivate. Watch it. Many jokes came from here.

    <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FL7yD-0pqZg>
  25. #25  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brian1269 View Post
    OK that's a little uncalled for.

    Thanks for the help, Zukie. You've convinced me, Cognition it will be. So Cognition runs Froyo, and not AT&T's bloated version, so does that mean I will be able to use tethering? And if I understand correctly, Cognition already has the lag fix in it so I won't have to worry about that? And if I already use AppBrain, that should backup all my apps, right? Thanks again.
    Brian, you should automatically be able to use USB tethering. I think you can find an app for wireless tethering after you get rooted. If you find that you don't like the Cognition Rom, you should check out the advice below from dmnall (aka Charlie?). That's probably another viable option, although I know for sure that the Cognition Rom is made specifically for the Captivate. Not sure about the Perception Rom.

    Anyway, glad to see others are having success with the Cognition Rom.
    Thanked by:
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

B