Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Unable to download Apps not from Android Market

I'm trying to download Swype, but it pops up and says that the application is blocked because it's not from the Android Market, but when I go to Settings -> Applications, there is no setting to let outside applications run on my phone. Also, when the notification pops up telling me that I can't download it, there's no "Settings" button that pops up. Any help?

It might be important to note that I got the phone yesterday, it's refurbished, and that I'm not positive which version of Android that it's running. I would imagine that it's the newest version.

/new guy.

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Quote Originally Posted by Connor123 View Post
    I'm trying to download Swype, but it pops up and says that the application is blocked because it's not from the Android Market, but when I go to Settings -> Applications, there is no setting to let outside applications run on my phone. Also, when the notification pops up telling me that I can't download it, there's no "Settings" button that pops up. Any help?

It might be important to note that I got the phone yesterday, it's refurbished, and that I'm not positive which version of Android that it's running. I would imagine that it's the newest version.

/new guy.
    Happy holidays conner, the problem is not android or the phone, its actually AT&T they block side loading apps, but here at android central we laugh in the face of adversity HAHAHA HOHOHO Merry Christmas

just use this nifty machine and enjoy
    http://forum.androidcentral.com/andr...e-windows.html
    If i've made life easier buy me a Macchiato

Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    ROM
    Perception 9.5 / Stock

someone on the site showed me a trick that if you put your phone into airplane mode and then turn on your wifi you can download the app!! see if that does it.

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Quote Originally Posted by dbord_n View Post
    someone on the site showed me a trick that if you put your phone into airplane mode and then turn on your wifi you can download the app!! see if that does it.
    If thats true its an awsome work around.

Good old ATT

Wait, if you are on the Samsung Captivate, why are you trying to download Swype? It comes pre-installed on the phone. You can get to set up swype a few different ways

First way is to go to the settings and go to Locale and Text, Set default Keyboard and select Swype. the Swype settings should be below that option at that point.

The other way would be go into a text message and long press in the text box where you would write your message and it should pop up with touch input and you should be able to select Swype from there.

Every Galaxy S phone as far as i am aware of and have seen, come pre installed with Swype on the phone. So if anything else, try a factory reset on the phone and then it should appear.

As far as getting to download stuff off of the market, you have the airplane mode that is discussed up above that works fine for me. You can also root the phone and get rid of that security feature.
    Personal: Sprint Galaxy Nexus LTE, Nexus 7 16gb tablet

If i have helped you, please hit the Thanks or Like button below!

Global Posts
    11,775 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock for now

Quote Originally Posted by Verdes8891 View Post
    Wait, if you are on the Samsung Captivate, why are you trying to download Swype? It comes pre-installed on the phone. You can get to set up swype a few different ways
    Good catch, i totally missed that

Default Re: Unable to download Apps not from Android Market

Quote Originally Posted by dbord_n View Post
    I have galxy S and the flight mode did not work

Default Re: Unable to download Apps not from Android Market

That only works with apps that are restricted to AT&T customers, like pdanet. You still can't "sideload" with airplane mode on. I've only ever done it by taking the sim card out and connecting to the market with wifi to get apps like pdanet.