Dropping my Captivate after Jan. 31st

saegiru

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
So I am so fed up with Samsung STILL not having an official Froyo for my Captivate (and US Galaxy S phones in general), I have decided to completely drop mine after Jan. 31st if they haven't released an update by then.

It completely drives me insane that they have froyo on Galaxy S in other countries, on the Tab, and are now running gingerbread on the Nexus S, but STILL don't have at least froyo on my phone they have been promising month after month to have it on since I bought it on launch day.

I personally will be going back to my super crappy iPhone 3G after the 31st, but really hope I don't have to. I have begun a campaign to annoy them (as much as my one message a day can) by tweeting their @samsungmobileus account every day with a message like:

@SamsungMobileUS 27 days remain until I drop my Captivate due to no Froyo update. Countdown to Jan 31, 2011 11:59:59 PM in UTC #DropGalaxyS #GalaxyS #Samsung #froyo

I don't know if anyone else wants to join me, especially since it almost certainly won't do much in the long run... and even after the 31st you could keep using yours (I mean how are they really going to know? :) ), but MAYBE just MAYBE they will take notice and do something...

PS: Consequently, after Jan 31st I might have two Captivates for sale if anyone is interested. :)

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Who is the THEY that promised Froyo? ATT? I am pretty sure it was... why the hate on Samsung then, when they have clearly released a working Froyo for our phones? It is the job of the carrier to get it out to us. I paid ATT for my phone, not Samsung. Aim the hate in the right direction.

And why would returning your phone to ATT bother Samsung one iota? Samsung got their money already, and you returning the phone will only mean some other ATT customer getting it as a refurb... again, you have the wrong target in your sights.

Nice first post though.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Have you tried to use ODIN to flash 2.2 i did it for my girlfriend over the weekend, it was easy as pie

you dont even have to root if you dont mind not backing up

Last edited:

saegiru

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
I was under the impression that Samsung was to blame for not releasing it. Are ALL the carriers to blame for the holdup then? Reading the @galaxyssupport twitter account, it appears that Samsung is the one holding the update back, not AT&T... but maybe I am reading it incorrectly? If it is just AT&T, wouldn't T-Mobile and Verizon have their froyo updates?

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I was under the impression that Samsung was to blame for not releasing it. Are ALL the carriers to blame for the holdup then? Reading the @galaxyssupport twitter account, it appears that Samsung is the one holding the update back, not AT&T... but maybe I am reading it incorrectly? If it is just AT&T, wouldn't T-Mobile and Verizon have their froyo updates?

well considering others around the world have it i dont think its just samsung.

I think it may be bouncing back and forth between the carriers and samsung. carriers add , and samsung adjust, and sends back, they test and add on and on etc...etc...etc....

but like i said there is a leaked version of Froyo that is only 1 click, if you dont care about backing up your data,,,if you want to back up all your data you would need root and titanium back up.

Goodeye

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Have you tried to use ODIN to flash 2.2 i did it for my girlfriend over the weekend, it was easy as pie

you dont even have to root if you dont mind not backing up

What custom rom of 2.2 is this version of ODIN running cause official 2.2 isn't even out yet.

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
This one is what Cognition is based off of I believe-

I897UCJI6 - FROYO - for real - xda-developers

The i9000 ROMs use the European Froyo that was pushed out. The Captivate leaked Froyo had to come from either Samsung or ATT... and since it works beautifully... who is holding it up? That is the question, and there are only speculation about why.

But since the code was released for the base model phone months ago (see the date for the leaked one), if there are model specific differences for our Captivates not being able to be mostly based off the existing Froyo from Samsung (which we all KNOW is bunk, since we are running it NOW if you browse XDA), I am not CERTAIN who is to blame.

But the code is out there. Guys that have jobs for a living make it work great on my Captivate in their spare time... this tells me Samsung has that bit at least mostly right. The issues are almost certainly related to the branding specific changes the US carriers have done to the base model.

But even that doesn't explain it, since we have been running it for months. Froyo clearly does NOT solve the GPS issues, so my personal belief is that ATT is holding the boat for the "One OTA fix to rule them all" so they do not have to risk multiple OTA updates.

And they are waiting, and waiting, and waiting...

If you were to point the finger at Samsung for the GPS issue, I would stay mum. But they released the code, we know it works... who else is to blame but ATT?

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
This one is what Cognition is based off of I believe-

I897UCJI6 - FROYO - for real - xda-developers

The i9000 ROMs use the European Froyo that was pushed out. The Captivate leaked Froyo had to come from either Samsung or ATT... and since it works beautifully... who is holding it up? That is the question, and there are only speculation about why.

But since the code was released for the base model phone months ago (see the date for the leaked one), if there are model specific differences for our Captivates not being able to be mostly based off the existing Froyo from Samsung (which we all KNOW is bunk, since we are running it NOW if you browse XDA), I am not CERTAIN who is to blame.

But the code is out there. Guys that have jobs for a living make it work great on my Captivate in their spare time... this tells me Samsung has that bit at least mostly right. The issues are almost certainly related to the branding specific changes the US carriers have done to the base model.

But even that doesn't explain it, since we have been running it for months. Froyo clearly does NOT solve the GPS issues, so my personal belief is that ATT is holding the boat for the "One OTA fix to rule them all" so they do not have to risk multiple OTA updates.

And they are waiting, and waiting, and waiting...

If you were to point the finger at Samsung for the GPS issue, I would stay mum. But they released the code, we know it works... who else is to blame but ATT?

No there is another one, ill come back in a bit and post it.
Captivate is the only one with a good leaked version of Froyo that is stock and not cognition

Edit: i take that back , yup thats it lol sorry

Last edited:

fldude99

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
As nice as it would be to have 2.2 on the Captivate, it baffles me to no end how much in an uproar the lack of it, or the delayed release, causes. The Captivate is a dam good device, 2.1 or 2.2 IMO. I think those that are freaking out, like the OP here take a step back and get some perspective..its just a phone for chrissakes. Personally I'm happy as pie with my stock version..if 2.2 comes great..if not...

myk26

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Completely agree with fldude!!!

Can the OP even name 3 features that he's missing out on? I mean, Flash is cool, but it's by no means a deal-breaker!

saegiru

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
I have taken a step back, and if they would just be up front and honest about a release rather than promising month after month that there will be an update then completely failing at it with no remorse, I would be much less bothered than I am now.

I purchased the phone with an expectation that it would be updated on a timely basis, and they have completely failed me on that. I mean, it has literally been about 13 days shy of 6 months since the release. It is absolutely ridiculous to be taking this long when Froyo itself has been available since May, and has been on some Galaxy S phones since November.

Also, to anyone that would personally insult a person because of a differing opinion: really?

Reggie

Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
As nice as it would be to have 2.2 on the Captivate, it baffles me to no end how much in an uproar the lack of it, or the delayed release, causes. The Captivate is a dam good device, 2.1 or 2.2 IMO. I think those that are freaking out, like the OP here take a step back and get some perspective..its just a phone for chrissakes. Personally I'm happy as pie with my stock version..if 2.2 comes great..if not...

Totally agree

And Samsung has supported this phone much more than SE did with my Xperia X1

myk26

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
You'd be much less bothered if you stop listening to all these false promises as well...

...cause unless it's listed on a Major site (not thier forum) then it simply isn't official.

I have yet to see Samsung or At&t list or promise a date.

saegiru

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
You'd be much less bothered if you stop listening to all these false promises as well...

...cause unless it's listed on a Major site (not thier forum) then it simply isn't official.

I have yet to see Samsung or At&t list or promise a date.

So something like this then?

Twitter / Samsung Mobile USA: @avongauss Aaron, we are w ...

No offense but I am not just complaining to complain. When it is posted on their official twitter account, I think I should be able to trust it.

myk26

Oct 22, 2010
Visit site
Did you just take a Twitter announcement as "official"...?

I mean, don't get me wrong...I can see how that would get your hopes up. But from now on you may want to look for more confirmation then a simple tweet.

Big Business doesn't use twitter to announce things to the public...

loraque

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
Did you just take a Twitter announcement as "official"...?

I mean, don't get me wrong...I can see how that would get your hopes up. But from now on you may want to look for more confirmation then a simple tweet.

Big Business doesn't use twitter to announce things to the public...

You beat me to it! lol

Twitter is nothing close to official. Neither is Facebook guys! That new fangled stuff is just going to get you killed by internet predators and buried over a state line :). That is what I tell my wife anyways.

If it is not on Samsung.com or attwireless.com it is bunk. Even if it IS on those sites, it is still at least partially bunk until I see it at XDA. Hell, if you want a GOOD read on when the update will arrive, look no further than the below.

Captivate Android Development - xda-developers

When it is out, there will be a thread about there, along with a one-click installer too, probably within a few hours of release. You can also see when 2.3 will work for our phone... at this point, it is a race for the official 2.2 and the 2.3 port. Even money.

Try not to sweat the attitude too much. People get testy when someone's first post is a complaint that we have seen so many times. Which feature is it that you want so badly in 2.2 anyway?

XANAX

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
In my short time here I've seen plenty of threads about people being upset about not have an official release, and there's something I just don't understand: what's the difference if the release is official or not? Maybe because iPhone has jaded me by limiting their software's capabilities, forcing people to jailbreak to get what they want...but it doesn't seem like a big deal to me. You want 2.2, use a custom ROM. Plus, all this complaining for Flash, tethering and hot-spot capabilities? I understand there's "principles" involved, but I almost expect large companies to not care, thereby taking matters into my own hands.