1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    318 Global Posts

Default Converting to Captivate from Torch

Hi guys,
    I have been dealing with AT&T's warranty replacement department way too much lately with my blackberry torch(slider build quality was awful), so they offered me a Samsung Captivate or an HTC Aria instead. I decided to go with the Captivate. Did I make the right choice? How are you guys liking them and if anyone has used a torch, which did you like better? I have used blackberrys for 5 years now, so I'm hoping I won't have BBM withdrawals. Any good similar messaging apps for android? Also, is my mac pretty much useless with an android phone?

Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    ROM
    Cognition 2.3b8

I did not have a Torch, but I also came from BB. I had a Curve, Bold, and Bold 2. After using the Captivate, I would not go back to the BB OS.

If you are the type who updated your BB OS, then I would recommend watching the videos in the ROMS/Hacks section and upgrading your Captivate with the Cognition Rom. It really improved the performance of my Captivate. I would not do this until you become comfortable with the device.

There is no BBM equivalent, but for SMS I recommend ditching the stock app and trying Handcent.

The closest thing to the BBM is Google Talk. Fills the same niche, but BBM was nicer.

IMO your hurdles for coming from BB will be the changes to your unified Inbox; you don't have one anymore. That is probably the best BB feature, and you will miss it. Typing will take some getting used to as well. Highly recommend you try the various keyboards that came with your phone to see which you like better (MENU-SETTINGS-TEXT AND LOCALE). If Swype looks interesting, go to the Swype website and watch their videos for tips... helps a lot going to the all touchscreen interface.

You did make the correct choice, the Captivate is a better phone than the Aria.

Are you connecting to Corp Exchange with your Captivate? This is another area where BB rules the roost. If you have trouble getting hooked into Corp Exchange, look into the App Touchdown. Yes it costs money, but it works (so I hear). Microsoft charges money for the interface code to connect to their stuff... BB paid the tax, Android did not, thus the difference. If you do not hook into Exchange, no biggie.

Lastly, if you are not on a Gmail account... highly recommend you drink the Google koolaid and set one up, and consider making it your primary. It will make things easier (mail, calendar and especially contacts).

Yes, that is the only thing that I do miss about blackberry is the BBM. That was an awsome feature of those phones. After a while though, you get over it. There are some awsome applications out there that can fill that void. One is called HeyTell, you basically just talk into a message and it sends your voice. (kinda like nextel push to talk). HeyTell does lag though, but there are other apps like it out there.
    Personal: Sprint Galaxy Nexus LTE, Nexus 7 16gb tablet

If i have helped you, please hit the Thanks or Like button below!

Global Posts
    370 Global Posts
    ROM
    Which phone?

I use both right now. Captivate for personal, Torch for business.

It's hit and miss. For media and open environment, Captivate. For ease of use and communication, Torch.

There really is nothing similar to BBM. You have all the obvious IM clients available, but that's it.

Battery life is far better on the Torch. App availability is better on the Captivate.

I have come to loathe software keyboards, but the Cap is the least horrendous of the ones I've had. Still doesn't beat the hardware of the BB.
    Galaxy S3
    iPhone 5
    Kindle Fire

Global Posts
    79 Global Posts

I switched from the Torch as well. I was on my 5th replacement torch and finally had enough. I was offered the same 2 phones and went with the captivate and couldn't be happier. I am using whatsapp for my bbm replacement and it is similar and works pretty good. Its available on android, BB, and iphone so its nice to talk across platforms without text charges.

I flashed my first ROM yesterday but went back to the stock one this morning just to familiarize myself with the process. Alot of good information here that I have found and once you download the software needed, flashing is a breeze.
    Thanked by:

I'm using them both now. Been rocking the BB for 10 years and just got the Captivate right before Christmas.

Notifications are better on the Blackberry (audible and visual)
    Connections management is better on the Blackberry
    Exchange email is better since I have a BES and now have Good on the Captivate.
    Gmail and personal email is better on Android but the notifications still suck. It's not faster or anything it's just the interface is better IMO.

The entire OS UI is better on Android since you can do much more with all the screens and widgets.

Apps of course go to Android since there are much more and the bigger touch screen.

I wish there were a way to show how many new messages you have on the icon like the BB and I think the Evo does this.

I'm conditioned to look at the icon and see an indicator that shows I have a new message(s).

The Battery life on my Torch was much better than this Captivate.

Browsing is much better and faster on the Captivate. RIM has to change the way they route every request through their NOC. That slows down the browser by a factor of about 5.

One other thing that bugs me about Android is the hassle it is to setup IMAP email. I have a Google for Domains email and Android still asks for all my server settings including the Incoming and Outgoing servers and their ports. On my BB RIM does an MX lookup and has those settings so I don't have to do anything other than enter my email and password.

I'm sure I have many more comparisons but these are the ones right on the top of my head.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    318 Global Posts

after 24 hours use to far(and harassing my blackberry friends to download pingchat) I've really enjoyed my Captivate. Not really happy about the battery life, but it seems on par with the iphone and I understand it gets better after a few cycles(also it's a new gadget, so I've done nothing but play with it). LOVE Swype so far. What can I do to help out the battery outside of rooting and flashing the rom? I've got the brightness as low as it will go already.

Quote Originally Posted by asuprice View Post
    after 24 hours use to far(and harassing my blackberry friends to download pingchat) I've really enjoyed my Captivate. Not really happy about the battery life, but it seems on par with the iphone and I understand it gets better after a few cycles(also it's a new gadget, so I've done nothing but play with it). LOVE Swype so far. What can I do to help out the battery outside of rooting and flashing the rom? I've got the brightness as low as it will go already.

Your battery life WILL get better. I also came from BlackBerry...10 year habitual user! I got my Captivate early DEC. I let my Cap battery drain down to around 10% 2 or 3 times and battery life is better.

I suggest reading as much as you can...

http://forum.androidcentral.com/t-ca...r-battery.html

Here's something my BB does better than the Captivate or probably Android in general.

The way a "super app" interacts with the device and the way audio apps interact too.

For example, if I'm listening to audio (Pandora, XM, Podcast, etc) and I back out and answer and email or whatever I can, from anywhere, click the "Blackberry/Menu" button and I will seen a selection like "Pandora" or "Now playing" so I can go right from where I am to the audio app.

I have not yet found an easy way to get back to Google Listen without finding the icon the normal ways.

And the "My Tracks" Google app talks over the "Listen" app. My Tracks will let you know your distance and speed via voice every xx minutes. Kinda messed up that in the middle of you podcast that a voice talks over the podcast about distance and speed.

Maybe that's the fault of the OS or the app itself. Ironically Google is the app dev for both of them.

Quote Originally Posted by netposer View Post
    Here's something my BB does better than the Captivate or probably Android in general.

The way a "super app" interacts with the device and the way audio apps interact too.

For example, if I'm listening to audio (Pandora, XM, Podcast, etc) and I back out and answer and email or whatever I can, from anywhere, click the "Blackberry/Menu" button and I will seen a selection like "Pandora" or "Now playing" so I can go right from where I am to the audio app.

I have not yet found an easy way to get back to Google Listen without finding the icon the normal ways.

And the "My Tracks" Google app talks over the "Listen" app. My Tracks will let you know your distance and speed via voice every xx minutes. Kinda messed up that in the middle of you podcast that a voice talks over the podcast about distance and speed.

Maybe that's the fault of the OS or the app itself. Ironically Google is the app dev for both of them.
    Have you tried pressing and holding the home key? Arrow up key 2nd from left. It should give you latest running programs. Or dragging down the TOP status bar?

Quote Originally Posted by Nelimungous View Post
    Have you tried pressing and holding the home key? Arrow up key 2nd from left. It should give you latest running programs. Or dragging down the TOP status bar?
    Yes, but holding down the Home key doesn't always show the audio app but I'll keep an eye on it for further testing.

And did you just explain to me what the Home key was and where it was? ROFL
    And I would call it a "house" icon/key instead of an "arrow" icon/key. LOL

Long press the home key to get a list of the most recent apps to switch back to; works at least as well as on the BB.

Not all apps respect other audio apps. Sometimes there are settings you can tweak, sometimes not. Listen in particular is not terribly loved by Google IMO. IT works, but it has its quirks. I would look at a fuller featured podcatcher and see if you have better results.

I've been trying a few podcast apps but so far Listen seems to be about the best one even though it's only Audio. The rest are confusing and don't work very well.

Tried double-twist but that's a hassle because I have to have a PC. Same with Winamp but it has a flaw. If you have multiple NICs it won't work unless you disable all the others.

I am looking for an app that auto-updates my podcasts once I add them. Just like iTunes on the PC. Listen is nice because it uses Google Reader so once I add the RSS feed I'm done.

Try Dogcatcher. I use Listen also, but AC is the only podcast I listen to, so no need for anything fancy yet. There is a section on this forum, up a couple, where member favorites are listed. In there are topics for most types of apps, and there is a podcatcher topic for what people use. Skim through a few (20+) pages and you can get a good idea of the top ones available.

I think the good ones are pay apps, but that is as it should be (and sort of why I think Listen has the issues it does. Rewind/fast forward when streaming anyone? I don't think Google wants to force all types of apps out of the market in lieu of its own. Most maybe)

EDIT- Oh, and if Listen is not in the list of apps when you do a long home press, that would be because it has been "long enough" since it was last used that Android closed it (this is why you do not need a task killer). Listen will still remember where you left off.

Do you use launcher pro? Assign a swipe gesture to one of the dock buttons for listen and you can solve your issue as well.

Quote Originally Posted by loraque View Post
    Try Dogcatcher. I use Listen also, but AC is the only podcast I listen to, so no need for anything fancy yet. There is a section on this forum, up a couple, where member favorites are listed. In there are topics for most types of apps, and there is a podcatcher topic for what people use. Skim through a few (20+) pages and you can get a good idea of the top ones available.

I think the good ones are pay apps, but that is as it should be (and sort of why I think Listen has the issues it does. Rewind/fast forward when streaming anyone? I don't think Google wants to force all types of apps out of the market in lieu of its own. Most maybe)

EDIT- Oh, and if Listen is not in the list of apps when you do a long home press, that would be because it has been "long enough" since it was last used that Android closed it (this is why you do not need a task killer). Listen will still remember where you left off.

Do you use launcher pro? Assign a swipe gesture to one of the dock buttons for listen and you can solve your issue as well.
    Thanks, I'll take a look at other podcast apps.

On the BB, Pandora would always be in the menu as long as it was streaming. It started out as "Now Playing" but an OS update changed the menu to "Pandora" or whatever app was playing audio.
    Dude

Global Posts
    256 Global Posts

Check out "No Led"

Aside from BBM I was also addicted to that little blinking red light that alerted me to a message. Captivate doesn't have any visual indicators when you get an email or text or something so this software helps.
    Thanked by:

If you are adventurous and load custom ROMs, the i9000 froyo builds like Perception-

Include Backlight Notification (BLN). This feature uses the light up capacitive buttons as a poor man's LED. Works nicely.
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

Global Posts
    318 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kalifornia View Post
    Check out "No Led"

Aside from BBM I was also addicted to that little blinking red light that alerted me to a message. Captivate doesn't have any visual indicators when you get an email or text or something so this software helps.
    Will definitely check it out. I agree, I hate turning on my screen all the time to see if I have a message.